Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 PM

430 posts, read 1,174,941 times

Advertisements

I have a 17 month old and I have been through this before but I'm always looking for new ideas. We live in Michigan and now that the weather is getting warmer she isn't wearing the sleeper PJ. She is in a stage at night and nap time with taking her clothes off and her PJ. She couldn't get the sleeper ones off because of the zipper . She takes the clothes and diaper off and it is getting to be a mess. It still gets cold here at night and if she has a BM or wets it isn't fun. I know that this is a natural stage taking clothes off trying to put them back on and the diapers now make it really easy for them to get off anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 02:29 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
It's a passing phase fortunately. Hopefully for your sake the phase isn't especially long. Stripping their pj's and diaper off at night is just something they do. It's a possible sign of the begining stages of potty training.

My daughter is 4 now and is 99% potty trained. But there was a time that it was just a crap shoot (take the pun if you want) on whether or not she would make it to the potty. And sometimes she would just strip the pullup off in her room and just poop in the floor. So much fun in my home that was still relatively new. I'm glad we spent $1500 upgrading the carpet. Between the time she started showing potty training signs and the time we had 90% confidence in her it was probably a year or more.

In the begining stages of potty training they go in their diaper and realize that it's uncomfortable so they strip it off regardless of what it's full of and just throw it down....or even just bring it to you. Lovely aye? My son who is 21 months old now started this buisiness about 2 months ago. In the past couple of weeks we've gotten him to pee in the potty a handful of times. My daughter was 2 1/2 before she was at that stage.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:52 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
If it's too hot for sleeper pj's then try short overalls and put them on backwards. It's much more challenging to get something off that's been put on backwards.....trust me. haha

Also, for night time sleeping only, try some duct tape around the waist of the diaper. Unless they can slip it down over their hips and bottom, they are NOT getting that diaper off!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with potty training, I think she can get the clothes off and it is her new thing. I have 7 kids and have been a Foster parents to over 45. My three adopted children are drug exposed and there are very different in everyway to my bio kids. She like her bio brother who is 6 doesn't sleeo well and screams at everything and I don't mean cry but screams. Drug babies can have this high pich cry and she never lost here. It really drives me nuts. Whenever things don't work out or the word no is heard its throw yourself down and scream. It really can be hard. She has sensory issues and it just makes for a very long day. The throwing herself on the ground of course is a temper issue which I decided to work on right now. I have been down this road and temper fits are usually not fun it there are not fueled by others trying to stop them.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:21 PM

29 posts, read 111,862 times
I wouldn't worry about the clothes she is only 17 months, that isn't a big deal. When my kids went through that stage, I just put their diaper on backwards and that worked fine for me. If she gets cold she will cover herself back up.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 AM

I'm not worried about the clothes too much as with the diaper. With the weather getting warmer sometimes it gets warm anyway. I just don't want the diaper off as it is a mess. Now that she knows she can achieve all of this the last fee nights it has gotten cold so I put on her sleeper ones again and she was really tict off because she couldn't get everything off.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
I've heard a lot of people say they put the diapers on backwards. Have you tried that? Another thing you might consider is using cloth diapers since they fasten differently. Maybe she wouldn't be able get them off?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:39 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
At least your kid hasn't done what my little one did.

She ate a crayon during color time - I didn't notice. That night, after being put to bed, she pooped the crayon out and went into her poo diaper to retrieve it. Imagine my husband's surprise when he went to wake her up and found poo and crayon marks everywhere.

He called me up fuming a storm and all I could do was laugh and laugh and laugh.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:45 PM

30 posts, read 82,845 times
My little girl is 22 months and she takes off the zipper ones too and even tries to undress her 10 month old brother. she carries around a tmx elmo all of the time and lately if she dirtys a diaper she tells me elmo poo or elmo pee. its really cute but i just wish she would tell me beforehand so i can potty train her.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:27 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
Kuharai!!! OMG...your story just made me spit out my coffee!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!! Thats too funny!
My little ones did the strip off and poop/pee all over a time or two each. What worked well for us, was to immediatly put them in a shower, then a bath, w/o any toys or fun. This was quite torturous for them, since usually bathtime was the BEST time. lots of toys and fun. This instead, was mommy all serious and no playing at all.
MIght try it...gotta clean em up anyhow.
Tiffany
ps - take pics...its great to use later when they become belligerent teens! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting