Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:51 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times

Advertisements

What are you tips? It's been five years since I've dealt with a baby, so I've actually forgotten what I did with my first daughter. Our second, Anji, isn't so overtly strong willed like her sister; however, she can be pretty determined. Unlike her sister, she learned how to walk early and has succeeded in getting into all sorts of trouble. She likes to get reactions from people..i.e. she pinches someone just to see their reaction. If someone reacts sharply to her (i.e. "No Anji!"), she proceeds to cry, as if to say "you told me no? how dare you!" Another thing she's doing lately is nudging my chin to the side forcefully, almost as if slapping it but without the force. She does this, again, to get a reaction.

Tonight she tore off her bib. Told her no, and put it back on. She worked at it again and tore it off. Put it firmly back on. She was extra willful tonight and kept tearing it off, and I kept putting it back on. I tried re-direct/distraction and that worked momentarily before she was at it again.

Also, it seems as if a male voice gets her attention more than a female voice. If I tell her no, she looks at me as if I had two faces. Her father tells her no, and she reacts with a cry/frown. Mind you, I am not saying no in a laughing/happy go lucky sort of way.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
You sound very immature to get into a power struggle with an infant.

You don't "discipline" babies - you love them and nurture them and redirect them when you need to and ignore the behavior you don't like and praise the behavior you do like.

You sound possibly abusive. Can you take a parenting class or something?

Old 02-25-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
You sound very immature to get into a power struggle with an infant.

You don't "discipline" babies - you love them and nurture them and redirect them when you need to and ignore the behavior you don't like and praise the behavior you do like.

You sound possibly abusive. Can you take a parenting class or something?
And you sound very ridiculous and silly to even make such a judgmental and mean spirited comment. Every parent gets into "power struggles" every now and then -- I didn't want tomato sauce ending up all over the place. Not to mention, you are totally wrong...discipline doesn't equate to physical abuse or corporal punishment. In fact nearly all parenting guides say to establish a "discipline" routine as early as 9 months when babies naturally test the limits of their world. Only your warped mind thinks that is physical abuse or even intimating corporal punishment. I know not to hit or do anything of the sort to a 10 month old. Get over yourself.

I do use "no" and "redirect", reading is fundamental. I am asking if there is anything else (NOT PHYSICAL FOR ANY OTHER POSTER) that I should be doing. Thank you very much.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
And you sound very ridiculous and silly to even make such a judgmental and mean spirited comment. Every parent gets into "power struggles" every now and then. Not to mention, you are totally wrong...discipline doesn't equate to physical abuse. In fact nearly all parenting guides say to establish a "discipline" routine as early as 9 months when babies naturally test the limits of their world. Only your warped mind thinks that is physical abuse.

I do use "no" and "redirect", reading is fundamental. I am asking if there is anything else (NOT PHYSICAL FOR ANY OTHER POSTER) that I should be doing. Thank you very much.
The title of your thread is ridiculous - you do not "discipline" a ten-month old. That is abusive, in my book, period.

Then you described a ridiculous power struggle with the bib . . . you got down on your baby's level and "showed her" who's boss . . .I can't imagine that was a very pleasant experience . . .

I hope you are correct and you are not abusive . . .that is why I suggested perhaps you are simply immature . . .but parenting classes could help, in any case.

Last edited by imcurious; 02-25-2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Ya, that first post was WAY out of line.

I would continue to say, "No!" forcefully every single time. If she cries, too bad. She got in trouble! There is NO way you should tolerate physical acts like that from a child. Pushing your chin now is a minor thing, but you don't want her to be slapping you or a teacher or another child when she's older. And of course you don't want to hit her back.

You also can remove yourself form the situation if she does not seem to respond to your verbal correction.

For example, if I were holding her and she pushed my chin, I first would say, "No, no! We don't hit." Not in a mean voice, but in a kind of OMG way, if that makes any sense. Try to focus her attention on something like a book or toy. If she continues to hit your chin, say, "No! No hitting. Now Mommy doesn't want to play if you hit." Then set her down and walk to the other side of the (child-safe) room or the next room where you still can see her. She needs to know she can't just continue that stuff, and that people don't like that. I would do the same thing with the pinching. Show her that people don't like to be hurt, and that her behavior has consequences.

But always try to redirect with a toy or some new activity she really likes.

The bib thing ... you'll just have to get one with a strong snap or else see if you can tolerate no bib at all.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 PM

And I said nothing about "physical" abuse . . .there are many forms of abuse - emotional, physical, spiritual, sexual, psychological, etc.

Hopefully you are a kind person and posted in frustration.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
The title of your thread is ridiculous - you do not "discipline" a ten-month old. That is abusive, in my book, period.

Then you described a ridiculous power struggle with the bib . . . you got down on your baby's level and "showed her" whose boss . . .I can't imagine that was a very pleasant experience . . .

I hope you are correct and you are not abusive . . .that is why I suggested perhaps you are simply immature . . .but parenting classes could help, in any case.
Your posts are frankly full of ca-ca. Look up the word discipline and/or google it. Like I said, it's neither my fault nor problem that you equate 'discipline' to corporal punishment or physical harm.

And where did I mention anything about 'showing her who is boss'? That's all in your head. We all could use parenting help, that is what this forum is for. I am not so full of myself that I think I'm the best parent in the world, but I can tell you this, I would never abuse or condone the abuse of my children. I am not a dunce either, to think that I would even do anything physical in nature to a ten month old. Take your concern elsewhere.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,595 times
I didn't have as strong a reaction to this question as imcurious, however, he/she is right. You don't "dicipline" a 10-month old baby. You remove any hazards that may harm and you replace negatives with positives. Play with that baby and have a ball, so what if she doesn't want the bib on, make a game, giggle and put it on yourself.
What I mean is don't worry so much, give her room and permission to be a baby, if you don't like the behaviour, i.e. pushing your chin, remove the chin.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Your posts are frankly full of ca-ca. Look up the word discipline and/or google it. Like I said, it's neither my fault nor problem that you equate 'discipline' to corporal punishment or physical harm.

And where did I mention anything about 'showing her who is boss'? That's all in your head. We all could use parenting help, that is what this forum is for. I am not so full of myself that I think I'm the best parent in the world, but I can tell you this, I would never abuse or condone the abuse of my children. I am not a dunce either, to think that I would even do anything physical in nature to a ten month old. Take your concern elsewhere.
Why do you keep saying "physical abuse?" I never said anything about "physical" abuse. Maybe "thou dost protest too much". . . ?

Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
You could always put her in a time out, but not before you gave her a self-esteem boost so that she knows she is special and unique and talented and always a winner.

Whatever you do, make sure not to crush her 'free spirit.' Always remember that she is to be treated like a jewel, no matter how badly she treats other people or just screws up in general.

This will set her up for success in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting