Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 05:32 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times

Advertisements

This thread isn't about whether or not you approve of the practice of physically disciplining your child or not. For the sake of this thread, let's say that you do. Rather, I would like to know if you would be fine with a total stranger doing it in lets say, a movie theater, when you are not around, and the child is being unruly and generally just misbehaving.

I ask this here because there is currently a discussion going on over in True Crime about a man who hits a child in a movie theater for being continuously unruly, even after he was asked to stop. Heres the thread if you're interested:

Man Hits Noisy Kid In Theater

I was a little surprised at the number of people who would approve over in that thread. I see nothing wrong with giving a kid a good spanking if they act up, but a complete stranger doing it?....... uhhh, NO! But maybe I'm wrong.

So how many of you would be fine with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 05:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
We already had this discussion
//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...ne-movies.html

....but that isn't discipline, it's assault. If my kid is noisy, ask him to please be quiet. If he doesn't, get the manager. That pretty much sums it up.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:40 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,741 times
I'm not in to physical punishment, but for the sake of argument, IF I was.......A total stranger - no way. A family member or close friend? maybe (if and only if I wasn't around and I had put the person in charge of my child's care.)

Old 06-02-2012, 05:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
We did talk about that incident quite a bit on this board.

But beyond that, no, don't hit my kid. I am a pretty pacific person but if you hurt my child, bad things are going to happen. I would never leave a rowdy child alone in the movies like that, so I can't imagine a situation where a stranger would whack my child for any reason. I would understand grabbing one of them back from the street, or stopping one of them (say, if they were little) from bumping into another child or taking a toy or something. But to hurt them, or unleash your temper on them ... what kind of numbskull doesn't know not to mess with a mother's babies?

Old 06-02-2012, 05:42 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times
We beat this horse to death already.
And no.
If I got the chance I'd beat the crap out of whoever touched my child.

You don't hit another persons child, you report them to someone who can do something about them, in a legal way.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:44 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

But beyond that, no, don't hit my kid. I am a pretty pacific person but if you hurt my child, bad things are going to happen. I would never leave a rowdy child alone in the movies like that, so I can't imagine a situation where a stranger would whack my child for any reason. I would understand grabbing one of them back from the street, or stopping one of them (say, if they were little) from bumping into another child or taking a toy or something. But to hurt them, or unleash your temper on them ... what kind of numbskull doesn't know not to mess with a mother's babies?
Uhm when you google that either pacific time zones or pacific islanders come up.....

I think you might be looking for another word LOL

Old 06-02-2012, 05:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Uhm when you google that either pacific time zones or pacific islanders come up.....

Perfectly apropos use of the word by our fearless moderator.

And no. I do not want anyone else physically disciplining my child.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

My dear txt, you need the dictionary, not Google.

Pacific - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

This is where the Pacific Ocean got its name.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:55 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

See that thread didn't show up when I did a search. I currently have a thread going with administrator participation about the issues I'm having with the search feature. I'm hoping you'll leave this thread up though.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
See that thread didn't show up when I did a search. I currently have a thread going with administrator participation about the issues I'm having with the search feature. I'm hoping you'll leave this thread up though.
No, it's fine. That thread started out asking whether parents would leave their kids alone at the movies, while you are asking a different question. But the man's (over)reaction was discussed quite a bit in that thread if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting