Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 05:56 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I have posted very few pictures of my grandchildren on fb. Their parents aren’t on it, so I’m reluctant to post their children.

My older grands are on fb, so I have occasionally posted the two young ones in photos with the older ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 08:18 PM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I don't understand why people take deliberately embarrassing pictures in general. What's the purpose of it? I definitely don't agree with posting them online.
They think those pictures are cute or fun

Old 01-20-2023, 08:42 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
I ran into this personal predicament a decade ago being a festival photographer. At first, I took great lengths not to post pictures of those underage unless I had parent's permission.

I eventually gave up on this approach for a number of reasons. First, it became rather impossible. Second, that one way or another, parent's permission is rather implied since they are out in public. Finally, there is what the law says about public photography that one has no expectancy of privacy in public, that public photography is allowed without compensation if I am not making a profit off it, and provided I am not displaying it in a way that shines bad light on the subject (nutshell), it is okay.

What really becomes a headache of sorts is Easter Egg hunts. I am there with clearance of the organizers (often in their tickets, they say photography does happen) but, of course, so many parents are concerned. I try to organize my shots not to get children's faces and if I see "disapproval" before the shutter, I abort the picture .................

...................but you can take consideration for other's feelings only so far, especially when the act is not illegal.

In comparisons, Festival photography is easy......but other events make me leary and while my intentions may be honorable, my need of self protection in this growing paranoid world may make me think otherwise.

Once upon a time, back in the 35 mm days, I was thinking of how great it would be for me, an amateur professional photographer, to take Saturday high school sport pictures and just give a roll to the coach for her school's yearbook or newspaper........but others told me that would generate so many questions, so much concern from others, that I would be better off not doing it.....so I didn't.

Old 01-23-2023, 10:58 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Prior to our kids reaching "phone" age, it's not much of a problem as they aren't in a situation where they are often photographed, other than by us. We post their photos on private cloud databases and share with a couple of close family. Sure, hackers and governments could get them, but we're not important enough for them to bother.

We don't post their faces on social media so that AI's (like facebook's) can't automatically tag them or secretly compile a marketing (or worse) database based on the photos. We started this when they were born, and I'm really glad we did. It seemed paranoid until our private cloud photo server showed that their AI could easily identify them in almost every case and every age. So one big tech company has a database on them, but that's better than ALL the big tech companies having it.

-grandparents?
Not an issue. Their grandparents aren't tech-savvy enough to post to social media at all.

-aunts/uncles?
Also not an issue. Their uncles already know better.

-their friends’ parents?
It's fine if they are not tagged and the photos are vanilla (not embarrassing). I haven't run into this issue yet, and they're becoming aware of how to safeguard their identity now.

-their friends on those friends accounts?
Ugh. This will be the problem. However, by the time they reach "phone" age we will have had "the talk" and it will include their online/public privacy. We have already made them aware that every internet connected device should be assumed to be recording them and making those recordings available to the person they least want to see them. We also have regular conversations about how social media crawling AI's target them for advertising, and how bad actors (bullies, criminals, etc.) could do the same.

They have minimal online public presence right now. That's our gift to them. What they do with it in the future, is up to them. They'll probably end up as wannabe YouTube influencers who use their real names or something. Bleh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting