Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2023, 08:55 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,924 times

Advertisements

About a month ago, I asked my son who will be 33 very soon what he wanted for his birthday. He usually will give me the normal “list”. He never responded back to me regarding what he wanted. Today I contacted him and told him that he did not tell me what he wanted for his birthday, which is next week. He told me, the only thing I want for my birthday is to see you and everyone for my birthday. Wow, what a kick in the gut… IN THE BEST OF WAYS! This parenting thing is finally paid off. So thankful to have a wonderful human that I raised walking the face of this earth.

Last edited by colcat; 03-15-2023 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 07:44 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,460 times
That’s so heartwarming to hear. My younger son once told me “ I like who I am”. He was a teenager at the time and I was thrilled.

As parents, we try our best, make mistakes, but love and support our kids, hoping they grow up with solid values. Your son values family and that’s the best.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:09 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Good on you OP. :-) Give him a hug for all of us.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:37 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
There have been times when I've wondered who raised those kids of ours because they don't seem to have picked up any of the good stuff we tried to offer them. Then there will be those moments when some genuinely good values will shine through and you think maybe all that hard work wasn't in vain after all.

Maybe that's why it's good to never completely shut the door on a child who seems to have gone astray. They are full of surprises

A pat on the back to you, OP, and may you have many more good surprises from your son.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:53 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,236,582 times
That is a fantastic story, OP. I'm very happy for you! And I hope you all have a fabulous family get-together!

But I would caution folks from taking too much credit (or blame) for how the kids turn out. I know that my kids surprise me everyday with skills and gifts for which I can take zero credit, and I know I have issues that have NOTHING to do with my parents' fabulous love and parenting of me.

Just FWIF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting