Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You More Concerned These Days About Your Kids?
Definitely Yes 10 29.41%
Emphatically No 13 38.24%
A little bit, but not a big deal 4 11.76%
We are all crazy now, so who knows 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 07:29 AM

9,866 posts, read 7,740,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Interesting.

That's not my experience at all. The 3 years of intensity are not easy for some people to process.

I haven't observed anything going "back to normal." I don't think that's possible. The world has changed.
With all due respect, how is your area still not operating "back to normal?"

What do you mean by intensity? Who/what is being intense? Where are you that you are still in a pandemic restricted area?

For the life of me, I cannot think of anything that hasn't gone back to normal quite awhile ago. Schools are fine, sporting events and concerts have been happening a long time, health care is available in person, people are traveling, churches are open, grandparents are out and about not afraid to shop or visit loved ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 09:37 AM

1,207 posts, read 536,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
The world is always changing. We just have dominant recency bias.

9/11

Middle East gas crises

17% mortgage rates

Katrina

Cuban Missile Crisis

Air Raid drills/fallout shelters

Munich Olympics/Hijackings

Vietnam, Kent State

I could keep going.

Healthy humans are resilient and we're ALWAYS in some state of change.
This was different because every human being was affected in their daily lives, and it went on for two-three years. I would assert it caused PTSD for many people.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Just because it doesn't fit your agenda?

Considering your reactions to member responses, I don't believe it.
What a strange comment. What would my agenda be and why don't I know about it - lol?

Okay - lol again.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This is a big part of what several of us have tried to get across. There is no answer how "kids in general" were affected. A lot depends on where they lived and how the community, they lived in responded and got back to normal.

There's an interesting mindset that I've observed over the last 15 years or so. Really started showing up right after the 2008 economic crisis. The new normal. It's a mindset of things are bad and not going to get better so get used to the new normal. We saw the same thing after COVID. Get used to the new normal. It's really a sad mindset to be in; to believe that things are bad and not going to get better.

Or a different mindset. One of "let's get back to normal." A mindset of making things get better. Take a moment to hurt; to grieve. Then saddle up and get back in it.
Yes, you're right - there is no way to know how "kids in general" fared - much too vague - I should have said I wonder how all kids are doing.

I feel that all human beings were affected and I wonder how young minds/bodies processed what they went through.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:44 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Well I'm sure daughter has a bit of PTSD, she was a ward nurse in the covid unit at her hospital. She saw more people die than my husband who is retired military and LE. She was only 23 at the height.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-07-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
With all due respect, how is your area still not operating "back to normal?"

What do you mean by intensity? Who/what is being intense? Where are you that you are still in a pandemic restricted area?

For the life of me, I cannot think of anything that hasn't gone back to normal quite awhile ago. Schools are fine, sporting events and concerts have been happening a long time, health care is available in person, people are traveling, churches are open, grandparents are out and about not afraid to shop or visit loved ones.
The bolded displays a difference in mindset.

I don't perceive the monumental experience to have been limited by location - I imagine all locations went through similar experiences.

I never said that I am "still in a pandemic restricted area." I find it so weird that people just make things up. It's not about an area, per se, but an atmosphere - do you see the videos of people going crazy on planes? That's a new thing. How about super aggressive drivers that openly discuss how they will never stop tailgating or terrorizing others? That's definitely new - before there were a few wild people but they didn't brag about it or literally take over roads with their bullying driving tactics (the bragging I have seen is on social media). Stealing used to be frowned upon, but now people blatantly steal and dare others to stop them - it's a new trend that is causing stores to close or to lock up their stuff. Have you heard of that? In general, the world is a much more hostile place.

I'm surprised I have to try to substantiate that the world has changed due to the collective experiences we all went through during the pandemic. It would have been impossible to escape impact on one's psyche.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:06 AM

2,038 posts, read 994,746 times
This has drifted so far from anything doing with parenting.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:10 AM

2,038 posts, read 994,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
This was different because every human being was affected in their daily lives, and it went on for two-three years. I would assert it caused PTSD for many people.
You proved my point. Recency bias.

Old 06-07-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
This has drifted so far from anything doing with parenting.
The question was regarding how parents think their kids are doing since the pandemic. How is that not having anything to do with parenting?

Old 06-07-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
You proved my point. Recency bias.
What? How is that helpful? I said nothing about predicting future events. Just curious about parents perceptions of the impact on their kids of the pandemic. It's one question - not a formal study. Answer it or don't but don't try to derail and invalidate the actual question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting