Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You More Concerned These Days About Your Kids?
Definitely Yes 10 29.41%
Emphatically No 13 38.24%
A little bit, but not a big deal 4 11.76%
We are all crazy now, so who knows 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 07:26 AM

2,024 posts, read 981,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
What? How is that helpful? I said nothing about predicting future events. Just curious about parents perceptions of the impact on their kids of the pandemic. It's one question - not a formal study. Answer it or don't but don't try to derail and invalidate the actual question.
You don't understand recency bias.
What does Bashar say? Will the alien visitations you predict affect kids more than COVID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 10:13 AM

1,196 posts, read 529,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
You don't understand recency bias.
What does Bashar say? Will the alien visitations you predict affect kids more than COVID?
What is the venomous impetus behind your question, I wonder.

Is it "wrong" to wonder about the cumulative effects of a pandemic on developing human beings? I don't think so. I've been genuinely curious how parents have been handling what I would imagine would be extra worry and concern. This poll indicates a good half of people, give or take, think the entire experience was no big deal and had no effect on their kids. That blows my mind, but then when I think of the political divisions in the country - my analysis is that a good portion of people were in denial and continue to be in denial. Denial's an effective defense mechanism, so I understand WHY people might be scared and unable to give their true feelings on the subject.

I had not previously thought of "silencing" and how that might not be the healthiest way to go, re: kids processing the entire thing (I had suggested a writing assignment in the first person, with a kid describing their experiences would be interesting and someone said that would not be a good idea because maybe they had family members who died - or were hospitalized, etc.) I actually think it would be therapeutic for kids to talk about their experiences and perceptions, and I bet they have a lot to say.

I guess the strategy is just to move on and pretend the whole thing didn't happen, which I think will cause more damage when they realize they were not given a voice or space to process such a huge event. At the same time, parents and teachers might not have processed their experiences so from a practical standpoint I can understand why many people would prefer to sweep the entire thing under the carpet.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:20 AM

You are wrongly conflating "being resilient and moving ahead" with "sweeping it under the carpet." Nothing I can do to address that, it's a worldview I don't share nor instill in my kids. COVID wasn't fun. But we never bought into the 'world will never be the same' BS doom and gloom nor any stupid conspiracies that keep people suspended in some misery vortex, while claiming other parents are just too ignorant to read the signs around them. We supported our kids any way we could to re-invigorate their social lives as time went on. We don't trap them in fear cycles.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:41 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Well of course we all talked to our kids about the pandemic and heard what they had to say.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-08-2023, 11:07 AM

1,196 posts, read 529,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well of course we all talked to our kids about the pandemic and heard what they had to say.
Great that they had a voice. Curious about their experiences - I'm sure many will write about them when they become adults.

Old 06-08-2023, 11:32 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Great that they had a voice. Curious about their experiences - I'm sure many will write about them when they become adults.
I don't think most of them would consider it that noteworthy. Except for the nurse... she was super traumatized.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-08-2023, 12:44 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times
Greetings, folks!

When posting, PLEASE be sure to keep the OP in mind, and be responding specifically to that.

-Just want the thread to remain on topic, and not become a "political discourse!"

Okey-dokey?

("Yes, June.") ....

Many thanks!
~June

Old 06-08-2023, 01:08 PM

16,322 posts, read 8,150,917 times
I hope no kids have serious issues due specifically to the 'lockdowns'. I think people are very quick to diagnose anything these days- anxiety, ptsd, etc. I don't think any kid should have been traumatized by covid. If they were it was maybe due to a loved one dying...or being afraid of everything.

Old 06-09-2023, 06:46 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times
Nope, back to to being kids. Activities, sports, hanging with Frieds, sleepovers, etc. I absolutly despise the term "new normal". There is nothing "new" about it. Normal is what you make it. Sports and friends are "normal" to my kids and thats how we choose to live. If you choose to be scared of your shadow I guess that's your "normal", and if it is then, yeah...have fun with that.

Old 06-09-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Nope, back to to being kids. Activities, sports, hanging with Frieds, sleepovers, etc. I absolutly despise the term "new normal". There is nothing "new" about it. Normal is what you make it. Sports and friends are "normal" to my kids and thats how we choose to live. If you choose to be scared of your shadow I guess that's your "normal", and if it is then, yeah...have fun with that.
Exactly.

So maybe it's the parents who were more affected if they turned scared and paranoid and conspiracy ridden..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting