Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:26 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times

Advertisements

It's not a competition... I've stayed home and I've worked as a mother. Staying home with two toddlers is a lot harder than working in an office when you have one child who sleeps through the night, but working in an office and juggling daycare and being up with baby at night is harder than staying home with two older children... I'd imagine I'd have it even easier if my kids went to school (we homeschool)! There are times in our lives when things are chaotic, whether you work or stay home, and times in our lives when everything flows smoothly and things are not so hard... again, whether you stay home or work. Saying that stay at home moms are worth such and such does not say anything about housewives without children, or moms who work, or firemen or gardeners... it's only about stay at home moms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:36 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
And your day differs from anyone else's how? Count all those in for me plus full time job with an hour commute each way. Being a SAHM is your choice. The govt should not pay you to do it nor would I want them to pay me to do it. I need to work so I do. I don't need or want a pat on the back for being a mom to my son. I do what I need to do when I get home. Why do SAHM's always seem to want validation for their choice to not work????

I was joking.... do you honestly believe I was being serious? Could you not read the humor there? Gotta lighten up a bit don't ya think?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
It's the same all the time on here. I don't need validation. As the old Enjoli commercial used to say, "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never let you forget your a man" and I can get my son to practice and homework done and still manage to get a decent nights sleep most of the time. I just had a SAHM friend tell me yesterday how tired she was from sitting at the pool all day chasing her 3 kids and she expected sympathy. That's a bit much, don't you think??? Even I have to admit, that would be much better than sitting inside an office all day. It's just not in the cards for me so I'm good with it. But I do get so tired of hearing how hard it is for SAHM. If you take it as being resentful, go ahead. It's just some people don't know how good they have it sometimes.
I wish I could stay at home and sit by the pool... I have been up since 7, put three loads of wash in, baked muffins for the guys putting on my deck, got my children to actually clean their rooms and make their beds, cleaned a bathroom, fed and cleaned up breakfast, bathed and dressed my children, vac'd the up and downstairs.... and my day is not done... not complaining... I just want to get out the door and have that stuff done before I go to the museum and come home and cook dinner and start all over... Seriously, not complaining... the PAY OFF is that I get to meet another SAHM in about an hour to PLAY for two hours.... But, to think I sit on my duff eating bon bons by the poolside is a bit extreme... My house would look like a bomb went off if I did that everyday....

Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
It's not a competition... I've stayed home and I've worked as a mother. Staying home with two toddlers is a lot harder than working in an office when you have one child who sleeps through the night, but working in an office and juggling daycare and being up with baby at night is harder than staying home with two older children... I'd imagine I'd have it even easier if my kids went to school (we homeschool)! There are times in our lives when things are chaotic, whether you work or stay home, and times in our lives when everything flows smoothly and things are not so hard... again, whether you stay home or work. Saying that stay at home moms are worth such and such does not say anything about housewives without children, or moms who work, or firemen or gardeners... it's only about stay at home moms.
I don't think ANY position with children is easy at all... CHILDREN are not easy... that is not why you sign up for the job... But they are a joy.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I wish I could stay at home and sit by the pool... I have been up since 7, put three loads of wash in, baked muffins for the guys putting on my deck, got my children to actually clean their rooms and make their beds, cleaned a bathroom, fed and cleaned up breakfast, bathed and dressed my children, vac'd the up and downstairs.... and my day is not done... not complaining... I just want to get out the door and have that stuff done before I go to the museum and come home and cook dinner and start all over... Seriously, not complaining... the PAY OFF is that I get to meet another SAHM in about an hour to PLAY for two hours.... But, to think I sit on my duff eating bon bons by the poolside is a bit extreme... My house would look like a bomb went off if I did that everyday....
Well, my house does look like a bomb went off right now. My son went through 3 weeks of hellish practice for the All Star baseball team meaning we were at the ball field from 7 - 10 everynight (which is entirely too much for 7 and 8 year olds). Now that it's over, I just can't bring myself to do much except laundry I sat down after dinner with him and we finally got to watch Camp Rock last night. I'd rather spend some time with him instead of having a clean house. I'll worry about that this weekend. Enjoy the museum!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:00 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
Same here, if we have clean undies to wear and food to eat we are GOOD!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:12 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
It's the same all the time on here. I don't need validation. As the old Enjoli commercial used to say, "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never let you forget your a man" and I can get my son to practice and homework done and still manage to get a decent nights sleep most of the time. I just had a SAHM friend tell me yesterday how tired she was from sitting at the pool all day chasing her 3 kids and she expected sympathy. That's a bit much, don't you think??? Even I have to admit, that would be much better than sitting inside an office all day. It's just not in the cards for me so I'm good with it. But I do get so tired of hearing how hard it is for SAHM. If you take it as being resentful, go ahead. It's just some people don't know how good they have it sometimes.
I don't really read the threads that appear to be a junior high fight over who is better or works harder, etc. I find those a waste of time & energy.

I've been on both sides. Spent the first 11 1/2 months of my son's life working while my husband was deployed to Iraq & closest family support was 1200 miles away. It's not impossible; it can be quite fulfilling being able to juggle so much & do it successfully. But it is not easy.

But I know SAHMs who would rather be working but due to circumstances cannot. We have a neighbor who is a dentist & a few years ago finally opened up her own practice. Her 3rd child was born 2 yrs later with severe cerbal palsy. She has since given up her practice & stays at home to care for her daughter. She is still paying off medical school & start up costs of her practice. She loved work & being a mom, but circumstances beyond her control have her at home full time.

I also know a mom who can't handle staying at home 5 days a week so she works a few days so she can get her nails done during lunch break, go to Target & look at her own pace without her children, and go to lunch with her friends.

I find neither of the woman I've stated as the "norm" but I have an issue blanketing EITHER working moms or SAHMs with the word "CHOICE". For some it is, for other's it's not. I think the most important thing to say is that mom's work hard & sometimes it is nice to get the recognition. i became a mom not so I can get "thanks" but b/c I wanted to be a mom. I respect moms, on a whole, b/c they do so much that isn't about money or recognition, but just for the sake of raising good kids.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:29 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,518 times
Quote:
It's the same all the time on here. I don't need validation. As the old Enjoli commercial used to say, "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never let you forget your a man"

NO! How am I ever gonna get this song outta my head!!!!!????

Old 06-26-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Well, my house does look like a bomb went off right now. My son went through 3 weeks of hellish practice for the All Star baseball team meaning we were at the ball field from 7 - 10 everynight (which is entirely too much for 7 and 8 year olds). Now that it's over, I just can't bring myself to do much except laundry I sat down after dinner with him and we finally got to watch Camp Rock last night. I'd rather spend some time with him instead of having a clean house. I'll worry about that this weekend. Enjoy the museum!
Congrats to your SON for the All Star Team... that is hard work he had to put in... you must be proud of him for his achievment. Those practices must have been tiring for him... You must have really enjoyed watching him play. The Museum was great. thanks... VERY BUSY- and a bit scary with the crowd- but great. Now that my nerves can unwind I am going to figure out what EVERYONE will agree to eat tonight... sometimes I fell like a short oder cook for real

Old 06-26-2008, 08:58 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
When your kids are little, whether you work outside the home or not, it's always better to cheat a little on the cleaning and spend time with them. How many of us remember how clean the house was when we were growing up, or how many times mom sat in the bleachers cheering our team on? Pick your son up from work one day and take him to Dairy Queen for dinner. A huge sundae is what both of you deserve!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting