Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 03:50 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times

Advertisements

I've tried to figure it out and see everyone's POV but I just don't want my kids watching Sponge Bob. For the same reason that they're not allowed to watch the Disney channel after a certain hour. There are certain messages, themes, and comments that I'm not ready to expose my kids to. Every episode of Spongebob, I've seen someone being vicious and saying inappropriate language (IMO). It reminds me of "Tom and Jerry" which I don't let them watch either. I know I watched it as a kid but now that I'm an adult, I don't really like the violence of it, specifically.

For some reason, consumerism is aimed towards two specific brackets - girls and boys. The girls get all the My little pony, Hannah Montana and princess stuff while the boys get Transformers, Spongebob, Ninja Turtles, etc. It goes back to what OTHERS feel is okay for the sexes. Boys shouldn't dress in pink or play with kitchens or princesses. People need to get over this and let kids be kids!! Teaching your kids that they can't wear certain things because it's "boy" clothes is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 05:43 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
This thread reminds of the old thought that you can give both girls and boys a red wagon....but the boys will use it to haul rocks and the girls will use it as a baby buggy. This may not be true in ALL cases....but I think it is in most. I have a 17 month old grandson who is free to play with any of the toys in my house. He likes to stick his fingers in the eye of the baby doll my granddaughter usually plays with....but he'll pick a truck or boy toy all on his own to occupy himself.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:49 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I've tried to figure it out and see everyone's POV but I just don't want my kids watching Sponge Bob. For the same reason that they're not allowed to watch the Disney channel after a certain hour. There are certain messages, themes, and comments that I'm not ready to expose my kids to. Every episode of Spongebob, I've seen someone being vicious and saying inappropriate language (IMO). It reminds me of "Tom and Jerry" which I don't let them watch either. I know I watched it as a kid but now that I'm an adult, I don't really like the violence of it, specifically.

For some reason, consumerism is aimed towards two specific brackets - girls and boys. The girls get all the My little pony, Hannah Montana and princess stuff while the boys get Transformers, Spongebob, Ninja Turtles, etc. It goes back to what OTHERS feel is okay for the sexes. Boys shouldn't dress in pink or play with kitchens or princesses. People need to get over this and let kids be kids!! Teaching your kids that they can't wear certain things because it's "boy" clothes is ridiculous.

woah. That's what I call EXTREME parenting. Can't even watch Tom and Jerry. What a shame and rediculous.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:17 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
woah. That's what I call EXTREME parenting. Can't even watch Tom and Jerry. What a shame and rediculous.
To each his or her own rIdiculousness.

After being told that I'm an extreme parents, I sent an email out to 15 parents in my daughter's first grade class asking if they let their kids watch Spongebob and/or Tom and Jerry. I got 11 replies. Not one responded affirmatively to Tom and Jerry. Four said their kids watch Spongebob (they were all boys, too). Guess there's a lot of EXTREME parents out there.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:29 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
I grew up on Tom and Jerry, Roadrunner, Bugs and Daffy, all those cartoons where they are always after each other (I'm hunting wabbit! heheheheheh!) What is the big deal? Yes they are always hitting each other! When my sons were younger and watched them they were told that it's just a cartoon and you don't go around hitting each other with a broom or a shovel. They know what's right and what's wrong. I have found tapes and DVDs of old cartoons and my 2 yr old granddaughter loves to sit and watch them when she's around. As far as somebody saying they won't let the kids watch Disney Channel. Getting a little drastic aren't you? Of course IMO, I wish they could bring back MR. Walt Disney and his "Disney" channel. But what is on isn't bad! Is there any violence? Bad language? Sexual content? Nope x 3! Give the kids a break, let them be kids, and let them watch Sponge Bob or whatever they want! It's not what they learn from what they watch, it's what they learn from watching you.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:07 AM

370 posts, read 1,016,261 times
There is spongebob clothing for girls. I know this for sure! I'm an animation student and I see teenage girls/girls in their 20's wearing spongebob items. That's not representative of toddler clothes for sure, but whatever.. I'm sure there are.

As a side note: Spongebob is DEFINITELY for kids. Don't let anyone tell you it isn't. It's, in my opinion, the best animated cartoon out right now. The characters all have likeable personalities, everything is designed well, it's so perfect! Not to mention that it's teaching kids good lessons while not being incredibly boring. It has a plot, it's fun for adults and kids. It's GREAT! Much better than the anti-creativity cartoons like Fam.Guy and American Dad.. You can even see anti-creativity in kids shows, actually MOST kids shows these days. Tom and Jerry is a real cartoon. And it's not meant for teens, it's for KIDS. Cartoons are for kids, Christ...

Stick with Spongebob and Yo Gabba Gabba!

Old 12-29-2008, 08:04 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
My daughter had two pairs of pink SpongeBob jammies from Target, one of those two-fers where you can mix and match the tops and bottoms. This was a couple of years ago, though, and she's outgrown them.

I like SpongeBob--probably more than my son does. If he ever said he was going to kick my butt, I'd simply tell him little boys do not say those words. He knows there are words he cannot say, like "hate" and "stupid."

Old 12-30-2008, 04:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Turn on CNN some evening and watch a panel discussion of pundits. Chances are, there will be a female pundit or two. Look at how they are "allowed" to dress, and ask yourself if the male panelists could get way with wearing those patterns or colors. Men and women dress differently. There is some wiggle room for women to dress mannishly, but not the other way around.

Try ironing a mermaid onto your son's shirt, and see what happens.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:00 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
I am raising my kids to be independant thinkers. They will grow into adults who can gather information and come up with their own ideals. Other than the Simpsons, I never regulated cartoons for the oldest (now 15). And the Simpsons while it was on the Tracy Ullman show was fine.... when it got to be the Bart is a Brat show, I lost interest. Son can now watch whatever he likes (skinnemax not included) with little interference from me.

With the youngest (a girl, 8 )has some constrictions (more sexual style content) but absolutely loves wrestling. Trying to find little girl clothes with John Cena on it is about impossible. Even online, they have the basic black with the current design. The key is that we watch these type of things as a family. Where we can discuss them and to be there for any questions. I remember as a kid, watching Dukes of Hazzard then Love Boat and Fantasy Island. There were definate undertones in each of those shows. But we all watched together... as a family. We learned real quick what was appopriate and what wasn't.

By exposing kids to things that are in the real world, we are helping prepare them to be adults. I;m not saying that it is wise to let a 3 yo watch adult swim, but eventually kids need to learn how to deal with people like Squidward.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:40 PM

821 posts, read 2,038,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
I agree about SpongeBob, we do not watch it. I have seen it once to give it a chance and found it had too much attitude for my 4 yr old to learn at that age. And believe me, they pick it up. She picked up on Caillou's whining and that was the last time we saw him.

With that said, my daughter also likes spiderman, batman and only now has started liking the princesses. But she also had 4 boys at her pre-k class that were her best buddies so she adapted.

My DD used to love Cailou until she started whining like him and that was that that little boy is a horrible example for kids- and she was about 3-4.
My son who is about 3 loves Sponge bob he runs around the house sing the song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting