Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 05:26 PM

702 posts, read 1,984,079 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't know im not married to a "wife beater" nor have I ever been with an abusive person..i have very good instinct when it comes to people and how they are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:16 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
actually, not all smokers will stick with you. I know of many adults who chose to smoke, but dont chose to abuse their kids by forcing them to breath in the toxins they are breathing out. Some parents actually care more about their kids than they do their smokers rights. Obviously, other people care more about THEIR rights to smoke in their vehicle and/or by their children, then they do their kids. I guess thats your right.
poor kids.....
Tiffany

Old 08-31-2008, 08:42 PM

702 posts, read 1,984,079 times
but if u read on the studies second hand smoke is on their clothes therefore harming the health of others...

Old 08-31-2008, 09:09 PM

yes, and for the sake of my children, because I care more about them than I did my own personal smoking habit, I quit. As did my husband.
while we both really enjoyed smoking, we enjoy raising our kids in a more healthy environment more.
Its all about priorities. Each to their own, i suppose.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:26 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
yes, and for the sake of my children, because I care more about them than I did my own personal smoking habit, I quit. As did my husband.
while we both really enjoyed smoking, we enjoy raising our kids in a more healthy environment more.
Its all about priorities. Each to their own, i suppose.
Congrats to you... this is a very hard thing to do... I have watched my father, brother, and best friend suffer through it... it is so worth it. YOU are doing such a great thing for the health of you children (and YOU). You should be very proud of what a good parent you are for being so selfless.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:15 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That same logic works for wife beaters too.
also for husband beaters.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
The thought of giving the government control over something like this scares me. How much government control is too much? Let's all just remember that it is a FREE COUNTRY we are living in. If you don't agree with people smoking around children, that is fine and is your RIGHT. But be careful about how far you want to take it.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:22 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
The thought of giving the government control over something like this scares me. How much government control is too much? Let's all just remember that it is a FREE COUNTRY we are living in. If you don't agree with people smoking around children, that is fine and is your RIGHT. But be careful about how far you want to take it.
You are right... it is just a shame that some people are VERY liberal with that "RIGHT" to smoke. Personally I like my RIGHT to breathe... I am also assuming children appreciate breathing fresh air into their lungs as well... at least ban it from cars with children... and in order to do that it should be banned from cars entirely... come on... people don't NEED to smoke while they drive. Puff away before they get in and after they get out... it is not a need that requires immediate attention, so serious that a child needs to smoke along with the adult... People obviously don't care enough about their kids health to NOT smoke in the car... I really feel that was one of the WORST places I was forced to go when I was a kid driving with my dad... It was horrible sitting there in a cloud of smoke for 20 minutes...breathing that nasty stuff in... it not only stank but if it was more than one it burned my eyes and it always seemed that the smoke just lingered in the back seat, stagnant and thick in my face... oh, I feel SO badly when I see a parent smoke in a car with kids because I know how bad it is... it is just horrible to not be able to ask them to stop... you are so vulnerable as a child... parents are meant to protect their children... not ram smoke down their throats...

here is a study finding the readings of toxins in a car of smoker w/ windows open was higher than those of a smoke filled bar...dangerous levels
http://www.physorg.com/news107619480.html

Last edited by skbs; 09-01-2008 at 07:44 PM..

Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 PM

SO well said skbs! Im so sorry for the little one you were...
It is just heartbreaking to see those little faces in the backseat while mom/dad puff away. Wish they thought their kids were worth it to wait til they got where they were going, or just pull over if they cant wait.
But, as we have found out, some people just don't care that much about their kids.
Thanks for posting the link. Maybe someone that doesnt realize the damage they are very probably doing to their kids will read it and re-think things.
hey, even i have learned something new on this thread!
Tiffany

Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,628 times
Secondhand Smoke Fact Sheet - American Lung Association site (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422 - broken link)

Findings on second hand smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting