Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,478 times

Advertisements

I'm interested on Home schooling. I have worked as a para pro with kindergarten and 1st. My two children just entered first grade, WE just moved to another state and I think I would have said it anyway. I feel like children we are pushing our youg children to hard. The home work my kids have and they are in public school I think is silly. I get that first grade is a child but I feel my kids are feeling defeated. My son has sensory issues and he needs freedom to run when he comes home. I mean 5 spelling word the fisr day of school. Write them 3 time , put them in a sentence ect. At least 10 vacab words to remember from the story. Then because they are in different grades my daughter has a big sheet of Math to do. What can anyone tell me about about home schooling their children and how you start and what qualifications you need. THe pro;s and con's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:05 AM

911 posts, read 2,155,984 times
well i think the qualifications vary state by state, you can get information at your local school districts office. i'm in wisconsin and all i had to do was fill out a little slip of paper saying how many kids i am homeschooling and what district they are from. no qualifications needed, as if you need to prove your qualified to teach your own elementary level child lol i know where you are coming from. i totally agree!

i teach them by setting aside reading time, and making sure they are developing their comprehension, etc, at their own pace. they also find that in every day tasks, being practiced in math makes life much easier. barely any worksheets, ever, and they have no problem remembering formulas, etc, when they can make use of it in every day life and see how it works and it's purpose other than being just written obstacles with no purpose other than to confine them to their seats and confound them lol

science is the easiest of all because it is all around us, and at these stages, play and action/reaction is scientific enough. they learn about the changing of the seasons, etc just by being able to witness it and not just sit and look at it through a book when it's right on the other side of the wall.

well i'd love to write more examples, but i'm late for an appointment.

good luck!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:15 PM

271 posts, read 583,136 times
you can go to the hslda website i am sure that would help alot.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:23 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times
It really depends on the state you live in. There are some states that require you do go so far as to take attendance and have exams (documentation). In Oklahoma, where I live, all you have to do is go to the local School Superintendant's office and notify them in writing that you are homeschooling these children with their names on the paper. Very easy. No end of the year testing, no other paperwork required. Of course, the clencher is when/if you do decide to put them back in Public School. They test the kids to see what grade level they should be put into. Depending on who does the testing on how your child may be tested or what grade they enter. I know of one councelor in our school district that MAKES SURE they are put into at least 1 grade below age level because he is a pompous jerk who dislikes homeschoolers.

As far as qualifications.. you don't need any. There are LOTS of resources that you can, if you wish, use to educate your child. It truely isn't difficult.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,756 times
Some parents see homeschooling as a way to skate and others see it as an opportunity to identify their children's strengths and nurture them. If you are the latter you will be fine. While I do agree that the piles of homework kids are buried in these days are excessive and misdirected, I believe the greatest gift anyone can give their kids is to help them, excuse the expression, "find themselves." Once a kid loves something, whether it is music or history or foreign languages or even math the battle is all but won. Then they will spend hours a day in their rooms voluntarily, no obstinately; you'll have to pull them out of there by the scruffs of their necks and drag them over to the dinner table and police a strict "Lights Out!" policy to make sure they get to sleep at a reasonable hour. This is an exciting, gratifying thing to watch as a parent, as they begin to latch onto your example and guidance and take it to places even you didn't imagine. You can do it, but keeping resetting the bar higher and higher until they tell you it's not high enough. If they love what they're doing it's not work it's pleasure.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:07 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times
You might want to consider looking into an "Umbrella School". That's what we do - we're enrolled with one called Oak Meadow - they have online curriculum as well as books & such.

It costs some, but nowhere near what a private school would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting