Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:29 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I agree with you; however, unless you were asked, it really is none of your concern. We have a generation of children, most of whom will never live the lifestyle of their parents. They have not had to work for anything. Good parenting requires that children have some responsibility. If their daughter has been given everything up until now, the next thing expected is the college educaiton and a new car. Just wait until reality sets in for both parents and child.
IMO, paying for college is one thing, expecting parents to flat out pay for any car is another. My parents bought me my first car (used from a neighbor) right after H.S. graduation and I paid the entire $800 back. I took a FT receptionist job right after graduation so I had the money to do this. I didn't go to college until I was 26 and married, so I paid for my own education. My parents' finances would not have permitted them to assist with my college education anyway.

My parents also charged me $25/week board and $100/month car insurance since the policy was under their name. I faithfully paid for four years until the day I left their home when I was 22 years old.

It's up to the parents to firmly draw the line on what expenses they will absorb and which should be the child's responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 11:01 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
We will pay for college tuition if we can afford it when the time comes. I will never hang that over my child's head. So many kids do not want to go to college that if my children decide that they want to go, I do not want to be the reason behind them not going. Again, this is only if we can afford to do so. Our kids may be forced to take out student loans to pay for school so it may not make a difference but I just would not want to be the one that prohibits my child(ren) from going on to college.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:13 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Since you were asked and your answer provoked an argument, something tells me there's more to this...but anyhoooooo......

A parent doesn't owe a child a college education. I paid for my own and it would have been nice if they would have paid for it but I don't think I would have appreciated it as much.

And I don't think making them earn the privilege of going to college is holding it over their heads. My younger brother got a rude awakening when he was rude and disrepectful to my parents then expected them to pay for something this expensive.

We never had to face this situation as the service was involved but we would have helped out. The money we would have spent is going into a trust for Kali and any future grandchildren.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:30 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
When my oldest son went to college, I couldn't afford to pay his way. He worked and got student loans. He also got his masters degree. He didn't miss classes, he didn't wobble around with what he wanted to get his degree in and he didn't waste any money partying. In short, he became a responsible adult. I would have preferred to have the funds to pay his way, but in the end, perhaps it worked out better than some of the stories I hear of kids who totally take advantage of their parent's hard earned savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting