Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 06:48 PM

27 posts, read 153,314 times

Advertisements

What have you tried to do "that works" for those out of control teenagers ---that think that they know "EVERYTHING"?

One that tries to come and go as he pleases? Of course, he towers over you in size and strength. This would be a 16 year old boy that I am talking about. We can't do a time out and spanking isn't an option in this day and time we live in. Says that he isn't a christian.

On a road to nowhere quick. Very devastating!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 06:57 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Ha! I just started a similar thread at the same time- must have been sharing the same thought bubble.

I have always said that by the time you WANT to spank them, they are bigger than you, so you can't.

Of course you know about restricting privileges, but to some kids, it's worth it and they will cntinue to do what they please. I would strongly suggest family counseling. With the right counselor, you'll see dramatic improvement. Since kids are all so different, what works for one may not work with the other. For instance, with my brother, my parents had to tell him exactly when to come in at night. With me, they had to tell me to use my judgement.

I work at an agency that provides free counseling for teens and can't tell you the changes that we see. It stinks to be a teen a lot of the time (and to be the parent of a teen, as well) and just having that outside person to talk to can make all the difference. I could find a similar agency in your area if you pm me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINBOWS View Post
What have you tried to do "that works" for those out of control teenagers ---that think that they know "EVERYTHING"?

One that tries to come and go as he pleases? Of course, he towers over you in size and strength. This would be a 16 year old boy that I am talking about. We can't do a time out and spanking isn't an option in this day and time we live in. Says that he isn't a christian.

On a road to nowhere quick. Very devastating!!

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 02-15-2007 at 07:05 PM..

Old 02-15-2007, 07:01 PM

We need to PULL TOGETHER and get all the help we can!! We can do all we can as parents, but there is always that ONE STRAY!!!

I am a TRUE BELIEVER in mentors!!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:15 PM

Hereinfla...
Sure, I would welcome it. Anywhere between Marietta and Alpharetta would be GREAT!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:24 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
I realize it's brain-killing, but I am addicted to The Housewives of Orange County or whatever the title of the show is.
I watched the latest episode and that new lady, the one who was rich, husband blew it, divorced, they went "poor".... well, her daughter gets her driver's license and drives the car. She has an accident the day after she gets the license. So...
The next day her real dad takes a 16 year old girl to the local BMW dealership and buys her a new BMW!!! Oh, that's not good enough....she wants power seats too, so the first one she settled on gets traded for a pricier version. When she pulls up to the house her mother is renting, her mother asks her, "How are you going to pay for everything?" (meaning insurance and maintenance I suppose). The spoiled daughter says: "Oh, daddy's paying all that".
I find that sickening.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Hereinfla...
Sure, I would welcome it. Anywhere between Marietta and Alpharetta would be GREAT!!!
I just PMed you

_______

Old 02-15-2007, 07:34 PM

THANK YOU FOR THE INSPIRATION HEREINFLA!!! There is hope for me yet!!
He is a GREAT kid... I really don't want to lose him to bad influences... I forgot to mention...He is ADHD and he tested positive for marijuana! He presently lives with his dad and he is at his witts end. I get him every other weekend.... ITS REALLY HARD. My two girls are in shock by his behavior every two weeks..they are correcting his disrepect...WOW! What a circus!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:38 PM

MoMark,
All I can say is...WOW! I don't watch that show, but I have heard about it. I would try anything at this point to wake and shake people up a bit..........
BUT WHAT DO I KNOW...I'm from the "Old School"...

Which reminds me...WHY DID THEY TAKE RELIGION AND DISCIPLINE OUT OF THE SCHOOLS??? It worked for our generation!!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
THANK YOU FOR THE INSPIRATION HEREINFLA!!! There is hope for me yet!!
He is a GREAT kid... I really don't want to lose him to bad influences... I forgot to mention...He is ADHD and he tested positive for marijuana! He presently lives with his dad and he is at his witts end. I get him every other weekend.... ITS REALLY HARD. My two girls are in shock by his behavior every two weeks..they are correcting his disrepect...WOW! What a circus!
Just hang on and don't give up on him. If you and his dad can/are working together to co-parent and both on the same page (ie- double teaming him, your son would say!) and get the counseling, your son will come around. You're saying that he's a great kid, so it sounds like he has a good foundation. He just needs to start feeling that he's great too, again!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Just hang on and don't give up on him. If you and his dad can/are working together to co-parent and both on the same page (ie- double teaming him, your son would say!) and get the counseling, your son will come around. You're saying that he's a great kid, so it sounds like he has a good foundation. He just needs to start feeling that he's great too, again!
Thanks for all your help!! I will be waiting for those referrals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting