Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:59 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times

Advertisements

A dear friend's son got impatient when his older brother was loosing his teeth. So at age 5 the younger brother pulled his own tooth out .... well before it was time to come out. It was about a year or so before his adult tooth grew in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 10:12 PM

161 posts, read 568,461 times
My 6 yo son lost both of his top front teeth last October (they were loose, not pulled by a dentist). There is still no sign of either one. A dentist friend said to give it time, but still, 5 months seems like a long time to wait... I guess I will see what our dentist says at his checkup in April!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:56 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJmommy View Post
My daughter is five and she had a loose tooth so I took her to the dentist to get it pulled. The dentist recommended for her to get the tooth next to it pulled because it was slightly loose and she said that it would be best to clear the path for the permanent tooth although that there is no indication of her permanent tooth arriving soon. I now feel a little disappointed because I feel like she sort of rushed the process. I feel like maybe it would of been better to wait for the normal process to occur like the other one. I just wonder if I am overreacting.
Not to mention the thrill of losing a tooth naturally and putting it under the pillow after the big feat. Somehow it loses it's shine going to the dentist.

They're supposed to get loose before they fall out. No dentist necessary.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:52 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My husband still has several of his baby teeth because he doesn't have the permanent teeth to push them out. I think he has like 6 or so where he is missing the permanent teeth. The dentist says that the baby teeth aren't meant to last your whole life and they will eventually fall out, but so far he's 30 and has no problems. Just saying that there's not always a permanent tooth up there! Though this is a pretty rare condition.
My son is in his twenties and he has a similar situation. He found out that some of his permanent teeth "traveled" to the roof of his mouth, and the baby teeth are still in place because the permanent teeth never pushed them out. You should hear how complicated and expensive it would be too fix this!DDS made it sound like a major feat of engineering.
I was a little bothered by the fact that his regular DDS never noticed anything amiss.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 57,242 times
Thanks for responding to my question I was just concerned but I now know that there's no definate answer, every child/case is different We will just have to wait patiently and see. Thanks alot!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I fell when I was 18 months old and knocked out a baby tooth. I was 8 before it came in fully.

With my kids some of their adult teeth came in right away after losing a baby tooth, others took several months.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:03 AM

5 posts, read 17,959 times
It’s best to just wait and watch. Most of the time the new teeth take their own time so you really have no choice but to enjoy the show . Meanwhile it’s a good idea to ensure that cavity is being cleaned properly so that food does not remain stuck there. It might be sensitive initially but a soft damp cloth might help in cleaning up gently!

Old 04-09-2010, 11:13 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
How long does it take a tooth to come in once you lose a baby tooth? My son had his front baby tooth pulled after chipping it last year and the adult tooth has not come in yet. I'm not happy with our dentist and I'm looking for a new one.

Just curious if it's normal for a tooth to take that long to come in. He's 7 and has lost other teeth that have come in within a month or two.
Because it was pulled instead of lost when it was ready to come out, I don't think there is any way to know when it might come in.

My son chipped a bottom tooth and we've had it fixed 4 times, and it keeps coming off. We finally gave up, and are waiting for it to fall out. Meanwhile, kids call him a vampire because he has a pointy tooth

His top 4 front teeth have cavities and his dentist wanted to pull all 4 of them out when he was 5! I said no way. We found another dentist who was willing to leave them in, as long as they weren't bothering him. It has been a year, and his 2 front teeth are loose now on their own.

I'm guessing your dentist knew that trying to repair that front tooth might not work, and that leaving it chipped might not look good, so he did the alternative and pulled it. The longest any of the 4 fixes lasted on my son's bottom tooth was 1 year. The shortest was 3 weeks.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJmommy View Post
My daughter is five and she had a loose tooth so I took her to the dentist to get it pulled. The dentist recommended for her to get the tooth next to it pulled because it was slightly loose and she said that it would be best to clear the path for the permanent tooth although that there is no indication of her permanent tooth arriving soon. I now feel a little disappointed because I feel like she sort of rushed the process. I feel like maybe it would of been better to wait for the normal process to occur like the other one. I just wonder if I am overreacting.
I never thought of going to the dentist to have a loose tooth pulled. My son just lost his firth tooth and it was only loose for about 5 days prior.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My son had some baby teeth pulled in about 4th grade -the adult teeth were not positioned properly to get rid of those baby teeth IIRC - those adult teeth did not come in for at least 2 years! They'd x-ray them from time to time so we knew they were there....If they don't come down, they can pull them down but I think they try to avoid that procedure if at all possible.....
I had to have this done. Yes, try to avoid this, not that there is really anything you can do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting