Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Having children young: able body, young empty nesters, single mothers, rushed relationships, progress

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:58 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,626 times

Advertisements

Some people don't meet "the one" until they are older and therefore have children when they are older. I definitely think its better to wait for the person you were meant to be with rather than get pregnant by whomever you happen to be with at 22 just because you want to have kids young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bby07 View Post
OH MY GOSH!!!!! my mom just called and told me that she is expecting to have a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She just took a pregnancy test at home and she's pregnant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's a pregnant grandma!!!!!!!!! I'm SERIOUS IM not joking!!!!!!!!!!!

You seem quite hung up on age.

You sound like you have very good reasons, for you, to have kids at a young age. Works for you, doesn't work for everyone.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:18 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
In my Ideal World, 26 - 32 would be a great age range in which to have children; old enough to have your feet on the ground/young enough to have the energy! Doesn't work for everybody though. Didn't for me - they'll most likely be pushing me down the aisle in a w/c at my kids' graduation! But, hey the upside is we are very financially set and dh and I have seen/done it all and are so happy to devote the rest of our lives to our family - no regrets here!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:03 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
Some, of us were ment to be older moms, Like 30 something is old. I misscarried in my 20's, I had my oldest sun at 32 and my 2nd at 36, both pregnancies thank the Good Lord went well, infact with my 2nd they kept remarking how my stats were better then the younger moms. i just think that my body was not ready for children my 20's. I have no problem staying up all hours of the night,and I still feel Like I am 20, the only differance is that I love my self more.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:51 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
I can see the benefits of having kids early and of waiting.

I got married to my highschool sweetheart at 20 and had my kids at 23 and 25. If we don't have any more children (I'm 30 now), I'll be in my early 40s when they're adults. My husband and I will have plenty of time to travel and enjoy ourselves. Which is not to say that we're not enjoying ourselves now... we are! We do travel with the kids and have experiences with them that we might not have expected to with two young kids in tow. We homeschool, so that helps... it's opened our eyes to possibilities when we play by our own rules and not someone else's idea of what's "normal."

If we'd waited, we'd be more financially secure (though with the market being what it is, maybe not!), and might have done more travelling/etc. before having children. I might have been less willing to stay home and spend time with my kids after being in the workforce for 10+ years, but maybe not.

I'm glad that we deicded to have our kids young, but we still might have more, who knows?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:18 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I can see the benefits of having kids early and of waiting.

I got married to my highschool sweetheart at 20 and had my kids at 23 and 25. If we don't have any more children (I'm 30 now), I'll be in my early 40s when they're adults. My husband and I will have plenty of time to travel and enjoy ourselves. Which is not to say that we're not enjoying ourselves now... we are! We do travel with the kids and have experiences with them that we might not have expected to with two young kids in tow. We homeschool, so that helps... it's opened our eyes to possibilities when we play by our own rules and not someone else's idea of what's "normal."

If we'd waited, we'd be more financially secure (though with the market being what it is, maybe not!), and might have done more travelling/etc. before having children. I might have been less willing to stay home and spend time with my kids after being in the workforce for 10+ years, but maybe not.

I'm glad that we deicded to have our kids young, but we still might have more, who knows?
How wonderful to have that option! Guess thats another plus for starting young! Lucky you! Enjoy!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,150 times
I'm in my late 30s and have two munchkins 3 and under. Oftentimes, it crosses my mind that motherhood truly is meant for those in their 20s. But, then I would have missed out on all of that wicked fun partying I did all over the globe all through my 20s. That partying wouldn't have been as much fun in my retirement years. So, I'm happy I did it this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting