Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
If there's one kid in his school who knows, then your kid knows too. And if there are kids at 11 who still truly believe (like someone else said)...then they're pretty slow-witted children.
That someone else was me - I might describe my kids as sweet, innocent and somewhat sheltered from the hard cruel world, but I would never, ever describe them as slow-witted!

Let children be children - they'll stop believing soon enough....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
If there's one kid in his school who knows, then your kid knows too. And if there are kids at 11 who still truly believe (like someone else said)...then they're pretty slow-witted children.
Not true. Do you have kids? Have your kids ever asked you something, in disbelief, that you set them straight on? Well, my son has already asked about Santa, and I "set him straight". You're damn right he believes me over his friends. At least at the moment. He may have lingering doubts, but he is going to believe what I say.

Hell, he just told me in the car that he was sure there was $3 under his pillow, that he must have inturrupted the tooth fairy while she was putting the money there, she hid, he came to my room to complain, then she snuck back there to put the rest of the money, so when he went to get it there was $4 more than before. I mean really, he couldn't make this stuff up.

Maybe 11 year olds that believe in Santa, tooth fairy and Easter bunnies may be a little more gullible than others, or maybe their parents are just smarter than most and have a more convincing argument proving that Santa is real. To call them slow is just uncalled for.

Sorry you felt screwed, but I wouldn't take this away from my kids for anything, which is part of the reason I am keeping my son convinced as long as I can so his little sister can enjoy it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post

btw....im feeling a bit cheap here. We gave my daughter 5.00 from the TF for her first tooth, and thought THAT was overboard....she got 4.00 Sat. night for the second tooth out..and has been just tickled beyond anything for that much.....
I think you are right on the money....I was going to give him $5 for the tooth last night but didn't have one so I gave him the 7 just because he is 7.

I love the idea of giving unusual currency, like the two dollar bills. I would do it but I have a few of them in the bank in the kitchen and my son would recognize them.....

Old 12-01-2008, 02:57 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times
My daughters got a dollar usually. Sometimes I would have a $2 bill or a gold dollar coin and they would get that, they thought it was cool. AND one time I forgot and the tooth fairy had actually DROPPED the 5 behind the bed...can you believe that?? My daughter did. As far as Santa is concerned, when mine got to be about 8 or so she started asking questions. I told her that I had heard this terrible rumor that if you didn't believe in Santa..he wouldn't bring you any stuff. My now 15 year old daughter told me yesterday she knows what she wants from Santa and will show me when we go to Wal Mart next time. Yeah she knows...but she better play along. They know the Santa at the mall isn't real just some guy dressed up and all that. I can do that. I guess it is more for me than them.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:16 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
When my oldest was 8 he lost a tooth just before bedtime and came to me with it in his hand. I did the usual with telling him where to put it so the tooth fairy could find it, and he shocked me when he looked me straight in the eye and replied. "Dad, lets cut to the chase, I toss the tooth in the trash, you give me a dollar bill and we'll both tell Mom the tooth fairy visited. Save you the hassle later when I am asleep of doing the tooth-cash switch."

Sometimes you have to wonder how long they have been holding out on you. Glad it worked out for you this time around. I also like the idea of the tooth fairy starts out with just so much cash on hand and it all depends on the number of stops to make that night as to how much is left at each place. I am going to use that for my younger kids in the future if they ask.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:18 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
When my oldest was 8 he lost a tooth just before bedtime and came to me with it in his hand. I did the usual with telling him where to put it so the tooth fairy could find it, and he shocked me when he looked me straight in the eye and replied. "Dad, lets cut to the chase, I toss the tooth in the trash, you give me a dollar bill and we'll both tell Mom the tooth fairy visited. Save you the hassle later when I am asleep of doing the tooth-cash switch."

Sometimes you have to wonder how long they have been holding out on you. Glad it worked out for you this time around. I also like the idea of the tooth fairy starts out with just so much cash on hand and it all depends on the number of stops to make that night as to how much is left at each place. I am going to use that for my younger kids in the future if they ask.
"the tooth cash switch" That is funny! Cute kid.

Yeah, that explanation is perfect. As a matter of fact, when I picked my kid up from school that day, i told him I had been talking to some other mom's of kids that lost more teeth, and they told me.....(you know, that same thing). He seemed to buy it and really thought his cousin lucked out wht the$100.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:53 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Just an idea but my parents used to leave us silver dollars for our teeth...just one and we thought it was amazing. I never spent any of them, they're in a jar in my closet.

As for being slow-witted...maybe I should turn in my ivy league diploma since I'm such a moron. I believed in all of the above until 5th grade when my mom told me the truth, I just thought all of the other kids were idiots and Santa wouldn't bring them good gifts

Old 12-03-2008, 02:41 PM

261 posts, read 954,722 times
If you want kids to continue to believe, it is all in the presentation. When I was 8, I lost a tooth while on vacation in Virginia in the Blue Ridge Mountains. We were visiting friends. The father that we were with told me to bring my tooth up to the house. So, I did and when I got back outside, there was a $5.00 bill under a rock. So, I don't know about you, but the Tooth Fairy is real and back in 1980, that was a lot for a tooth, especially when I usually got .25.

Now as for Santa, I saw Rudolph's red nose fly over my house when I was 4. There were Jingle bells too. I told this story to my son, and he still believes. I'm sure next year will be harder, as he will be 7 going on 8. But right now as my 6 yr old, almost 7, he still believes. The tooth fairy might be visiting this Christmas as well, as there are 2 teeth trying to get out!

I don't think it is lying, just embelishing the truth with some character and color!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting