Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:12 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Boys and men are people too. Not monsters.
People treat teenaged boys as if they were truly monsters. I feel bad for my kids when people do that. I wonder if people take the time to think that every single grown man in the world was a teenaged boy at one time. Surely they aren't ALL evil perverts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 07:40 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
I am just curious about whether you would allow a male to babysit your child?

Of course, you can tell I have three boys( 2, 13, and 17).My middle son has a steady babysitting job and gets paid very well!

The mother works with my dh and she has referred some of her friends to my son. All of the his babysitting jobs have sons to watch. Our son is great with kids and very mature.

My dh and I were talking and I said that I wonder if it really matters to parents if they have a female or male babysitting. I said that I really believe that MANY parents would feel very uncomfortable leaving a male to babysit.
( Its that old stereotype even though we know females can do harm too.)

Would it matter to you what gender you had to babysit? Would it matter if you had a daughter and a male was babysitting?

Why would you allow it? If you said you wouldn't why not?

Has society's ( our) thinking changed or is still MALES should not be left alone in this manner?

I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts especially since I have boys.
This is sad that this question has to be asked. Because in asking it we are saying " will this male babysitter harm my daughter in any way" which to me is stereotyping, meaning to me not all males are abusers. Even females can abuse, in any way. I would allow my child with a male sitter and I have. I do make sure I screen him as I would a female. I call all references (which I find a lot of parents now a day are lazy about) It does not matter to me if you are male or female, black or white. All I care about is my child is being looked after with the same care I would or at least pretty darn close.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Boys and men are people too. Not monsters.
Yes, boys and men are people and difinitely NOT monsters BUT if they are not family or extremely close friends and have been for a very long time they are NOT babysitters to my children.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Yes, boys and men are people and difinitely NOT monsters BUT if they are not family or extremely close friends and have been for a very long time they are NOT babysitters to my children.
Why?

Old 05-23-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
Why?

I responded to this thread early on.

For many reasons I am just not comfortable. I don't really need any other reason

Some people have an age requirement, some have a sex requirement. Some have both or more or none. Simple dimple!

While in the workplace those reasons might not be legal or ethical, in MY home with MY children I would feel safer and most comfortable with a RESPONSIBLE female at least 18 who is cpr certified and who has experience and of whom I have known all her life.

However, these requirments have not come into play yet. I have only needed my mother/father or husband's mother/father to watch my daughter.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I responded to this thread early on.

For many reasons I am just not comfortable. I don't really need any other reason

Some people have an age requirement, some have a sex requirement. Some have both or more or none. Simple dimple!

While in the workplace those reasons might not be legal or ethical, in MY home with MY children I would feel safer and most comfortable with a RESPONSIBLE female at least 18 who is cpr certified and who has experience and of whom I have known all her life.

However, these requirments have not come into play yet. I have only needed my mother/father or husband's mother/father to watch my daughter.
Again why? you say you need no reason, but if you are to argue against it, is there no reason needed? You can not say I do not like such and such with no reason be hind it, People are asking, you are answering, but with no reason?

Old 05-23-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Again why? you say you need no reason, but if you are to argue against it, is there no reason needed? You can not say I do not like such and such with no reason be hind it, People are asking, you are answering, but with no reason?

BECAUSE IT MAKES ME UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!

Is it against the law to not want a male to watch my children? Do people interview more than one person and decide they like one or the other?

I don't have to justify to you or anyone else. They are my children not yours or anyone elses. I decide who watches them and who does't.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
BECAUSE IT MAKES ME UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!

Is it against the law to not want a male to watch my children? Do people interview more than one person and decide they like one or the other?

I don't have to justify to you or anyone else. They are my children not yours or anyone elses. I decide who watches them and who does't.
Wow I had no idea this was a touchy subject for you. Perhaps you have your reasons, but you obviously do not want to share why, and I respect that. But I do not think I warrented being shouted at.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Wow I had no idea this was a touchy subject for you. Perhaps you have your reasons, but you obviously do not want to share why, and I respect that. But I do not think I warrented being shouted at.

I wasn't shouting I was EMPHASIZING.

I don't mind sharing I was just making the point that it really doesn't matter the reason since it is the parent's decision and nothing illegal is being done in deciding against a boy/male babysitter.

Maybe men don't commit more sexual crimes in general, but that's what I see in the news. perhaps it isn't "strange" or questionable or just plain agianst the grain for a man/male to WANT to babysit or be "nanny" but in MY family NONE of the men are like that and I'm just not used to it or comfortable with it.

Call it wrong or un-called for or whatever but it's still the parent's choice

Old 05-23-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I wasn't shouting I was EMPHASIZING.

I don't mind sharing I was just making the point that it really doesn't matter the reason since it is the parent's decision and nothing illegal is being done in deciding against a boy/male babysitter.

Maybe men don't commit more sexual crimes in general, but that's what I see in the news. perhaps it isn't "strange" or questionable or just plain agianst the grain for a man/male to WANT to babysit or be "nanny" but in MY family NONE of the men are like that and I'm just not used to it or comfortable with it.

Call it wrong or un-called for or whatever but it's still the parent's choice
I would never call it wrong or uncalled for I was just wondering. You have a right to your choice as everyone else, I was just curious as to WHY you did not want a male. I was in no way putting you down etc... just Curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting