Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
I was watching abcnews online yesterday afternoon and seen a video about a mom who is still breastfeeding her 6 year old. Is this normal? The boy could even say which breast had more milk and everything. The mom thought it was better than still sucking on a pacifier or something. I did not breastfeed when my son was little but I thought it was until like a year or something? What is everyones thoughts on it?
Sounds like it works for her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Like i said before. I knew 8 yr olds (not to much farther then 6 yr olds) who were boobie obsessed and were starting to masturbate to girly mags- obviously nothing came out. Sick, yes, but it happens. What does that mean if he is also sucking on mom still? if you go much farther than 6 yrs old they might be aroused by moms boobs?
This is a really odd post. I think you are confusing nursing with sexual attachments.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:53 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,050 times
Thumbs down Yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
I was watching abcnews online yesterday afternoon and seen a video about a mom who is still breastfeeding her 6 year old. Is this normal? The boy could even say which breast had more milk and everything. The mom thought it was better than still sucking on a pacifier or something. I did not breastfeed when my son was little but I thought it was until like a year or something? What is everyones thoughts on it?
This sounds like a total hippy thing. Imagine how traumatized that child is going to be and not to mention how much he is going to get made fun of at school when kids find he was breastfed until he was 6 years old. Can you say "Momma's Boy". Anyone who thinks this is just fine needs to have there head looked at.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:01 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
I would never breastfeed a 6 year old. Just over the top.

I breastfed both my kids, my son for a little over a year, and my daughter for about 18 months.

Stopping breastfeeding my daughter was the best thing I did for our relationship. Until I stopped breastfeeding her, all she saw me as was a breast. She never wanted to cuddle or snuggle. The minute she got close to me she wanted to nurse. When I finally weaned her, she was completely different. She would sit on my lap, let me hug her, snuggle up to me, it was as if the whole nature of our relationship had changed, matured, moved on. I missed breastfeeding her and loved to do it, but was so glad I stopped because it worked out much better for our relationship.....

Not saying this is right for anyone, but it turned out to be the right thing for us. People should stop in their own time, but I cannot see anyone's "time" extending till the kid is 6 years old.

I always knew that once the kid was walking, could go to the refrigerator and pour their own drink, that was it for them. Off the boob! That's it! No more!

I haven't heard the details of the case. When does she nurse the kid? At night? Does she stop into his 1st grade class for a nursing session? Yikes!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:39 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
This sounds like a total hippy thing. Imagine how traumatized that child is going to be and not to mention how much he is going to get made fun of at school when kids find he was breastfed until he was 6 years old. Can you say "Momma's Boy". Anyone who thinks this is just fine needs to have there head looked at.
While I cannot condem nor condone any mothers choice of breastfeeding and weaning - The 'momma's boy' issue is something I do not think some have thought of. I have heard - or read - opinions here on both sides of this coin, but this has not been mentioned, as far as I know.

There is nothing worse than the 'Momma's Boy Syndrome', and - having raised two boys - 23 and 19, and working on #3 (9 months), this is a very real issue which can have repercussions in many, many arena's of the childs life.

I know mom's mean well, and like I said, it is their perrogitive and they feel it is best for their child, but I wonder if these mom's, most with young kids not having been through the tough middle and high school years, realize how it may impact the child down the road?

No - I agree with another, I don't want to go through this issue again, there is still another thread open on it - but maybe thinking about the 'Momma's Boy' issue would not be such a bad idea?

Just a thought, and I truly will say no more on the subject. To each his own.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:57 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
This is a really odd post. I think you are confusing nursing with sexual attachments.
You are for 8 yr old chowing down on moms boob and i am not -for at least the reason that 8 yr olds are tweens not babies or small children.

Glad we cleared that up.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:55 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
My first thought is,...OUCH! Plus, what if the kid gets thirsty at a soccer game? Oh, no, no, no......

Old 12-12-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
You are for 8 yr old chowing down on moms boob and i am not -for at least the reason that 8 yr olds are tweens not babies or small children.

Glad we cleared that up.
Taboo, there's no scientific evidence that breast feeding past the age of 2 sexually warps a child. I really don't see the connection between sex and breastfeeding. I think that's more of a cultural paranoia.

Here's a good article from the Boston Globe that says more mothers are actually choosing to nurse their children longer. Most of these mothers are well educated and intelligent women.

Nancy Holtzman, board-certified lactation consultant at Isis Maternity parenting programs in Arlington, Brookline, and Needham, comments: "There's no reason to think [prolonged nursing] is abnormal or pathological or sick."

The article also touches on the importance of mothers setting boundaries on breastfeeding with older children. And I think that is key.

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/famil...ly_and_demand/

I personally think that breast milk is healthy for a child. A lot of young kids refuse to eat anything but junk food. If they get breast milk once or twice a day, at least they are getting their vitamins.

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 12-12-2008 at 01:15 PM..

Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
My first thought is,...OUCH! Plus, what if the kid gets thirsty at a soccer game? Oh, no, no, no......
Apparently, it does not hurt the mother.

And your second comment has more to do with boundary setting.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:22 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I wouldn't breast feed ANYONE with a mouth full of teeth regardless of age.

My grandmother told me years ago that she breast fed all her children until the age of 4 because it was considered a help in birth control. I guess at a time when the pill wasn't readily available, they did whatever they had to do.
It's not a sure fire way NOT to get pregnant, but decreases the chances if breast feeding full time.

My grandmother slept with my dad in her bed until he was close to 8. I would seriously doubt she was breast feeding but it was specifically for birth control. She told me that. I guess it was a good enough way to keep the old man at bay, she didn't have anymore children. According to her she told Grandpa that if she didn't sleep with him he would have nightmares and wet the bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting