Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:23 PM

821 posts, read 2,038,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Oh believe me I have heard all about the BJs in the bathrooms and even sex in the school's elevators. That is no major surprise.

Yes I have/had teens and soon to be teens. I know that I wouldn't/didn't allow my teens to go on dates alone in a movie theater at 15. Most of their dates at that age were with a group and usually there was at least one adult supervisor.
Yes very true I was speaking to a 12 year old cousin who is in middle school she told me that a couple of her friends are already active and have done so in the bathroom of the school or down a certain hall way in the school that is usually empty... she told me this this April... I pray that she is not involved in this behavior since she volunteered this info... She even told me that one of her female friends has a girlfriend... her friend is 13 years old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:57 AM

890 posts, read 2,786,011 times
I just look back on how I was at those teen years, and one thing that stuck in my mind was the "value" my parents instilled in me.

The value to responsibility to the consenquences of my actions.
The value of my self worth, as defined by me--and of course how that value was shaped by them.
And the value in showing respect to others.

My parents did not talk about sex. I learned about sex from peers and the minimal basics from Health Ed back in 9th grade.

When my first and only gf (now wife) became steady (she 17 jr in highschool, me almost 18 sr in highschool). However, we were steady 6 months into the R before we started going physical. But once it started both our minds were geared to finding opportunities for sex. Car, elevator, parking garage, empty homes. But throughout that raging hormones, there existed "fear" of the responsibility of getting pregnant, so we put value in that protection.

23 years later, we have a D13. And I often find myself thinking in terms of how to instill value to her: respect for her own body, responsibility from consequences of her own actions, and give her values to use in her decision making skills. Stupidity isn't an excuse, so I tell her do not make stupid mistakes by making decisions without enough knowledge of the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting