Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,480,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Alcohol does not interact with oral contraceptives, it does not decrease the efficacy...

The only way alcohol can indirectly affect the effectiveness of birth control is the fact that women who drink heavily tend to "forget to take their pill"
I'm not sure about alcohol...but I'm 100% sure that many drugs (including some prescriptions) can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 11:09 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,825,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Okay.......but a piece of paper doesn't make a difference in my opinion!!
funny how a piece of paper doesn't matter, but yet it somehow will if you DO get that piece of paper.

Why the difference? I don't see how anyone could have a kid with just anybody. And a shack-up or non-shackup boyfriend is just anybody. Might as well have a kid with a one-night stand. It's just a kid.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,239,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm not sure about alcohol...but I'm 100% sure that many drugs (including some prescriptions) can.
I am sure about the alcohol...it has been studied and there is no risk.

There are drugs that can decrease the efficacy of the Pill, typically in classes of drugs that speed the breakdown of medications in the liver which will lead to faster clearance of the OCP as well.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,758,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post

Women 30 - 40 unwed is not only contributing to the population explosion (I know, here's my chin, go ahead and hit it), it sets an awful example for teens who see older women doing it and having babies out of wedlock, why shouldn't they?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a single person having a child as long as they can handle it financially.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:32 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,860,833 times
The raw number of recent births in 2007 surpassing the baby boom decades is not really significant. Back then the population of the US was in the 180 to 190 million range versus now well over 300 million. With the recent shift in the economy over the past year and a half many of the kids born in this latest so called "boom" will with their families have a much tougher go of it compared to those of us who grew up in the fifties and early sixties.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:45 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,480,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a single person having a child as long as they can handle it financially.
Kids need a mother AND a father. Having a child isn't about what's convenient for you.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,945,434 times
A 30yr old high school teacher who is shacking up with a BF for three yrs is a good role model for her female pregnant students.

Of course they do not know this.

If they did...she would be referred to as being COOL and maybe imitate her later on.

Teachers are supposed to be role models. (in this case NO)

Old 03-19-2009, 11:54 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,286,424 times
I was talking with my 15yo son last night. I have a friend whose 15 yo daughter is pregnant. Son was telling me how in high school it is acceptable to be promiscious and that pregnancy scares are common. Granted, when I was in high school I was no angel, but I never got myself into a situation I couldn't get out of. Times are different now.... there is no stigma on being a teenage parent. Nor are there as many financial reprocussions.
While it is beneficial to a society to have the babies financially supported, many of these teen babies are being supported through public asistance. In the case of my friend, his daughter has insurance, but since she is listed as a dependant, the insurance company does not carry maternity on her. She shows no income herself so she automatically qualifies for medicaid. When I had son, it cost me 8000.00 for doctors and hospital. I didn't have insurance at the time, but my husband(at the time) and I paid for our child. I was 19 and married when son was born.
How to "fix" teen pregnancy? It needs to become improper again.... to become "uncool".

As for those who are in a committed relationship and choose to have a child together without the benefit of marriage... be careful.... that "piece of paper" offers legal protection to both the mother and father. Without it, the father can be listed as unknown on the birth certificate and will have to "prove" himself to be the father and to assert his paternal rights. For the mother, if the relationship sours, she will have to prove this man is the father in order to have him held legally responsible for his child. And let's not kid ourselves here.... don't fool yourself into thinking that "he'll always take care of junior" or she'd never keep me from juniorette" It happens every day. All it takes is a little anger and without that "little piece of paper" either parent can be screwed out of their child and by the time they get it leagally handled, a year or two has passed and your child has been turned against you.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:06 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,520,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Money does not raise a child.

Money helps. And it is necesarry.

But it does not raise a child.

Basically you are saying that the mentality of the parent plays little role to the well being of a child as long as they have MONEY?????

There is a lot wrong with single parenting. A lot. Ask single parents just how awesome & fabolous it is being a single parent. Ask widows how great it must be know that they have the life insurance policy to cash in on. Hell, who cares if there is no mom or dad or partner? You got some cash!!

Single parenting has to be toughest job out there. And to make light of it & blow it off as many in this society do is why parenting is such a circus show anymore & some of the reason many kids are just so incredibly messed up.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:28 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Money does not raise a child.

Money helps. And it is necesarry.

But it does not raise a child.

Basically you are saying that the mentality of the parent plays little role to the well being of a child as long as they have MONEY?????

There is a lot wrong with single parenting. A lot. Ask single parents just how awesome & fabolous it is being a single parent. Ask widows how great it must be know that they have the life insurance policy to cash in on. Hell, who cares if there is no mom or dad or partner? You got some cash!!

Single parenting has to be toughest job out there. And to make light of it & blow it off as many in this society do is why parenting is such a circus show anymore & some of the reason many kids are just so incredibly messed up.
Kudos, 121804
It is nothing but selfishness and arrogance for any woman old enough to know better, to have a child out of wedlock just because they 'want' a baby.

Finances have nothing to do with it. That baby grows, and when they do, they NEED a mother AND a father. It doesn't matter how much money a woman has, it can NEVER take the place of a father in a child's life. How much more selfish can a woman be than to have a baby without making sure that baby has a dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting