Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:08 AM

33 posts, read 91,546 times

Advertisements

rockinmomma
Does Sullivan have tutors for 1st graders. Just saw SAT tutoring. Do you happen to have a website for either of those sites (kaplan, Sullivan, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I am not trying to come off as if I'm judging you here. I think you are a stronger person than I am for going into the military. I looked into it 13 years ago, was sitting in the recruiter's office, but I couldn't sign custody of my son away.... that was required, even though his father and I were married.

I know you leave alot of this to your mother and step father, you have to.

But there are things you can do from over there. Email is a great tool to communicate with teachers. Those can be answered on your schedule without long distance charges and such.

Congratulations on being able to come back to the states and have your girls live with you when they get out of school for the summer!!!
Thank you, and I understand that. But it is much, much harder then it looks. Since I've been gone; everything negative (even the really small things) that go on with my girls feel like a failure on my part. So, there are lots of things that I can do, and lots of things that I have done. Those plans of action did not work; that is why I am on this board looking for other alternatives before it's too late. I know it doesn't reflect on me as a parent or even on her; but unless I get to the bottom of things...it will just feel like a failure on my part.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prtybrneyes View Post
Thank you, and I understand that. But it is much, much harder then it looks. Since I've been gone; everything negative (even the really small things) that go on with my girls feel like a failure on my part. So, there are lots of things that I can do, and lots of things that I have done. Those plans of action did not work; that is why I am on this board looking for other alternatives before it's too late. I know it doesn't reflect on me as a parent or even on her; but unless I get to the bottom of things...it will just feel like a failure on my part.
Thank you for your service and your sacrifices!

Why don't you wait and bring your concerns to her new school in VA? If she is just behind in the one subject, then I don't see why you would consider holding her back. Surely, you can get her some assistance at her new school or if needed, get her a tutor.

Keep in mind, Virginia schools are great and should have the resources necessary to get her up to grade level.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:44 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
Sylvan Learning Center - New Orleans, LA, 70127 - Citysearch (http://neworleans.citysearch.com/profile/4439308/new_orleans_la/sylvan_learning_center.html - broken link)
Sylvan Learning | Tutors and Tutoring Services

This is the link to Sylvan... they are in New Orleans (I think that's where your daughters are).

You are not a failure. But you are the one who needs to see your children get the help they need. If you cannot count on your momma to do it while you are deployed, then you need to make other arraingements. (Not saying take them away from your momma.... just having to do more work from overseas to follow through)

Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post

Why don't you wait and bring your concerns to her new school in VA? If she is just behind in the one subject, then I don't see why you would consider holding her back. Surely, you can get her some assistance at her new school or if needed, get her a tutor.

Keep in mind, Virginia schools are great and should have the resources necessary to get her up to grade level.
Reading and comprehnsion are the foundation of all other major subjects (except maybe math). If the child is behind in reading, it is just a matter of time before she falls behind in the other subjects.

My DSS is ASD... he can read like you wouldn't believe and spell like a whiz.... but he has comprhension difficulites. There is alot more to reading than being able to sound the words out that are on the page.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Sylvan Learning Center - New Orleans, LA, 70127 - Citysearch (http://neworleans.citysearch.com/profile/4439308/new_orleans_la/sylvan_learning_center.html - broken link)
Sylvan Learning | Tutors and Tutoring Services

This is the link to Sylvan... they are in New Orleans (I think that's where your daughters are).

You are not a failure. But you are the one who needs to see your children get the help they need. If you cannot count on your momma to do it while you are deployed, then you need to make other arraingements. (Not saying take them away from your momma.... just having to do more work from overseas to follow through)
Thank you. I was spelling it Sullivan, lol. Knew something looked off. Bout to look it up now.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post

Thank you. I was thinking that also, but looking for a school is a whole nother project. So much, so much, in so little time.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 PM

I just went on Sylvan's site, and they have a special for 2hrs of free tutoring. I signed up and had them did had them call my mom (I told her). She said okay, but not without making the excuse of it's probably too late and where will she find the time. Just some of the things I deal with.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prtybrneyes View Post
I just went on Sylvan's site, and they have a special for 2hrs of free tutoring. I signed up and had them did had them call my mom (I told her). She said okay, but not without making the excuse of it's probably too late and where will she find the time. Just some of the things I deal with.
Big hugs to you!!! Soon you will be home with them next to you and you do no have to beg/bargain/plead for what you feel is necessary for your children.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:57 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This differs between states. The cutoff date in my state is August 1st I believe...and it has been for quite a long time.

Yep, must vary by state, I was allowed to start first grade at the age of 5 and I didn't turn 6 until the end of Nov., that was in the 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting