Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 04:55 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I was sexually abused by a family member as a SMALL child, the physical abuse continued until I could get away from them so I feel I have the right to speak with some authority on this subject.
You have as much authority on "this subject" as someone who gets hit by a car has on the subject of traffic accidents in general, or cars in general. That is, not very much.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:57 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
You have as much authority on "this subject" as someone who gets hit by a car has on the subject of traffic accidents in general, or cars in general. That is, not very much.
I think the years of therapy, the many books I have read and the other people who have lived the same thing I have, gives me some authority.

I have to ask YOU as well, why defend a pedophile? It points the finger right back at YOU.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:57 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times
Quote:
So how much authority do you have on the subject?

Old 04-18-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Well if I do have problems it's because a molester caused them. Having ones genitalia touched by someone without consent is pure evil torture...
If you restricted your comments to the person who molested you, it probably wouldn't have raised any objections. Assuming that every sex offense is just like yours is unsound.

There are about 600,000 Americans who are registered sex offenders--some of them for things they did when they were 10 or 12 years old. Generalizing from one case, yours, to 600,000, is illogical in the extreme, and when you combine that illogic with lurid and sadistic incitements to violence, it is unforgivable.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:03 PM

206 posts, read 529,080 times
Default I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
OK, I have a couple of things to add here.

First of all, I am white a woman and a mother. My ex-husband and sperm donor to my two oldest children was abusive to me, though he never laid a hand on my children. I left him when I found out I was pregnant with #2. Boy, am I glad I did. He ended up hooking up with his cousin's ex-wife, and was caring for her son. There were some very ugly, very violent allegatrions and some nasty felony charges that came out of that relationship, and the acts were against the two-year-old boy. The son that resulted from that second pregnancy was the same age as his victim. I was so against him being around the kids, that at one point, I was arrested and ended up in the county clink for a while for withholding visitation. I'd do it all again. He never hurt my children, because I never gave him the chance. He finally gave up after being required to have supervised visits (after being released from prison on unrelated charges). Seems he didn't like other people chaperoning him, so he just disappeared. We actually lived in the same town for years before we moved when my DH got transferred. He avoided me an dthe lids like the plague. I think he knew better. So yes, to answer the question, I'd do whatever necessary, breadwinner or not, to keep my children away from someone, ever their "father" (term used loosely), who I was well aware had that kind of capability lurking within them.

As to stereotypes: Actually, I think most pedophiles I've been aware of were white males. Stereotypes are silly to make, yes, but they generally start somewhere. I am not a racist by any means. I think OJ did it, I think Michael Vick is, to some extent, a victim of the way he was raised, and does seem to be trying to making up for wrongs he has perpetrated, now that he knows he's wrong, and I don't believe that the mystery man," who is black, had anything to do wtih Hayleigh Cummings' disapperance, just so you all know where I'm coming from. Here's a frightening stereotype that I do tend to believe in: Blacks commit dumb crimes, whites commit crazy crimes. That means that generally speaking, if a crime that is obviously just a stupid, didn't think before I did it thing (ie momentary lapse in judgement), vandalism, petty theft, mob action, etc, I'd be looking for a teenager(s)--any color--or a black perpetrator. Profiling? Maybe. Speaking from experience? Definitely. People that do these things are not necessarily bad people, but maybe even got caught up in the excitement of the moment, or maybe just didn't stop to think before they acted. That doesn't make them evil, just impulsive. Now, if we're talking about a mass-murder, serial killings, a serial rapist, or, yes, pedophilia/molestation, then I'd be looking for a white male first. These are crimes that are not commited by mentally stable people. That's not usually a spur of the moment decision... these things are generally planned and executed with a great deal of thought. Those people are evil.

Just my humble point of view.

Oh, and I think xeno is really just trying to find another person that agrees with their viewpoint. I don't think they're really trying to cause trouble, or there wouldn't be so many passionate replies from them. It's an open forum. Isn't that what it's here for?

(Now that that's said, lets al enjoy the weekend! LOL )

~D

Your post is one-hundred percent true in everyway. I don't think xenourtv post are racially motivated at all, xeno is merely asking a question as everyone else does. The statisics are everywhere you go...it's not stereotyping at all. I would do everything in my power to remove my kids from a pedophile and keep them safe. If you don't think it's true...watch CNN.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have to ask YOU as well, why defend a pedophile? It points the finger right back at YOU.
Maybe it does in your fevered little brain. I'd like to tell you what you can do with that finger, but I don't think it would be permitted here.

I'll defend anyone against violence and brutality, no matter the situation, or even against the suggestion that they are appropriate targets of violence.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
So how much authority do you have on the subject?
A Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice (4 credits short of a psych minor), a senior undergraduate thesis written on Megan's Law, and much interaction with victims, perpetrators, and family members involved in sex crimes.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:19 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times
Quote:
I'll defend anyone against violence and brutality, no matter the situation, or even against the suggestion that they are appropriate targets of violence.
So do you defend Osama Bin Laden then? How about the Iraqis when a bunch of our young soilders went off to Iraq yelling let's kill some rag heads. How about the prisoners at Gitmo? Are you willing to defend them?

Old 04-18-2009, 05:23 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
Many reports and really, an inappropriate thread for this forum. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting