Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:17 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
That is just over the line. Pulling down a kid's pants is wrong and disturbing, for any reason other than showing a toddler how to use the bathroom. There are so many things wrong with this line of thinking I can't even begin to go there. Way to psychologically, sexually, etc. f@*k up a person for a very long time, if not forever.
I don't find it disturbing, nor do I see any evidence that people who were spanked on the bare bottom as kids are any more "f@*ked up" than anyone else.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I do, however, wonder how it teaches a child not to hit if we hit him.

I also wonder how a child learns self control if you are always controlling him by physical force.
Neither of those applies if, as aidxen said and I concur, spanking is used for PUNISHMENT rather than immediate physical control.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
if it is done as punishment and not as rage release you can cut prison population by 1/2.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if it is done as punishment and not as rage release you can cut prison population by 1/2.
Damn straight. Actually, I think for some crimes we ought to use caning instead of incarceration. It's cheaper, it's a better deterrent, and it doesn't break apart families.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Damn straight. Actually, I think for some crimes we ought to use caning instead of incarceration. It's cheaper, it's a better deterrent, and it doesn't break apart families.
only people that haved lived/worked or spent considerable time in singapore could appreciate your post. well said. you have rep.
the fundamental problem here is that much of the population really does not have a sense of shame or condemnation regarding crime or wrongdoing. its starts in the home, spills out into the street.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,854 times
In my home town the belt was a common punishment for misbehaving kids. I am just asking if it is common today or does any one remember the belt.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:47 PM

I wouldn't say it's common, but it's not unknown.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:05 PM

253 posts, read 805,567 times
i to got spanked as a kid, be it by hand, hairbrush, belt, switch, i knew i had to have been pretty darn bad if i got a whippen, and i made sure i towed the line and followed my manners and thought pretty hard before i did wrong to decide if it was worth the whippen id get if my parents found out, and i assure you, they always seemed to find out...why??? cuz as a kid(im only 37) moms looked out for all kids...neigbors was close, so if a kid did wrong...your mom knew about it before you got home, and it was a good thing(i didnt think it was then thou...lol) but i do now, cuz it makes kids accountable...no one is close withen their neighborhoods no more, thats why kids turn into gangbangers...they know they can get away with it.
i dont believe you have to beat your child, but spankings didnt hurt me, i grew up respectfull of my parents, we are very close, i never got into trouble as i grew older, and i have no problem making sure my kids know that they can get a spanken to if need be.
it goes hand in hand with people in prison....old days..you broke the law...you went to jail, you got hard labor, you NEVER wanted to go back, so when you got out...you stayed good, and low and behold...jails wasnt over crowded....fast forward to today...you break the law...you get a cushy setup, free everything, there was a report that showed most break the law on purpose for better life then they have on the streets!!!
it goes hand in hand...spare the rod and spoil them...and they will never learn, and continue to do the crime so to speak....they will end up walken all over their parents...and down the road...add to prison over-population.
so needless to say, id rather see parents get tougher with their kids verses buying them a toy to shut them up every time they throw a fit in walmart...and boy, have i seen that happen LOTS of times!!!! omg!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:41 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I am in my early 50s and remember the days when parents were not your friends but in many cases your worst nightmare. I remember parents of some of my friends were really scary and if you crossed them they would come at you hard.

One parent liked to use his belt on the kids and when they did wrong he had a system where they pulled down their pants and the belt was used to give them a real whooping. I can still remember the yells and screams of the kids as the belt hit their buts!

So, do parents use a belt anymore on their kids?
I've heard similar stories from people in this age group & older... they all grew up to be criminals/addicts...
I didn't have anything to contribute to their stories, as my parents never treated me in such a manner- & I've never been in trouble in my entire life.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,917 times
How can you teach a child that hitting is wrong if, every time they do something you don't like, you hit them? Seems rather hypocritical to me.

Like Mommabear, I'm definitely 100% AGAINST spanking. In my opinion, when you hit a child (and there is no way you can tell me spanking is not hitting), you teach that child that people have the right to hit people with whom they disagree. Additionally, you have extra rights to hit people who are physically smaller than you.

My son was never, ever hit. No "spankings", no slaps. He has never hit anyone else (outside of sparring matches in his martial arts classes). He did not hit other children when he was a toddler or young child because hitting was simply not part of his world. He's an older teen now and is one of the nicest, most polite, never-been-in-trouble, compassionate people you'd ever want to meet.

I am certain when he becomes a dad, he will not hit his child(ren).

And, yes, I was spanked as a child. With each and every strike, I vowed, even as a little girl, that I would never, EVER hit my children. I've kept that promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting