Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:55 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
Girls are only screamers if their parents ALLOW them to be and do not bother to take the time to teach them not to. I thought all three of my kids from birth the dangers of screaming:

1. It causes hearing damage
2. It causes damage to the vocal cords
3. I tell them that screaming is only to be used during danger and by screaming all the time, no one will listen to them when they are in danger, not even their parents.

I had a problem once where I went a week without my 18 month old daughter napping in the summer because of a bunch of kids on a trampline in the property line between us and our neighbors behind us. After dealing with a fitfull daughter, who had just finally fallen asleep, I went out and told them the next kid who screams would be babysitting a cranky baby. That didn't work and they only got worse to mock me. So I went back out, with baby crying away in the house and tried to tell them the dangers of it. The boy who was the worst mocked me to my face, he was about 10 or 11. I looked at him and told him, "You think it's so funny that your parents don't care that you are screaming bloody murder out here? You'll only think that until the moment you fall off the trampline, bust your head open and lay on the ground screaming with blood spurting out your head and you "cool" parents are too "cool" to bother caring to come to the window to look out to see if something is wrong. So, because I care, the next kid who starts screaming, I am going to call the police and have them arrested for disturbing the peace." After that they did not scream on the trampline. And my daughter FINALLY got to nap. Thank God cause obviously I was going CRAZY!

wow... we use to have neighbors (on both sides actually) who's children would be on their trampoline constantly,screaming,singing,just being loud..
Actually,their parents were also big entertainers,especially during the Summer months. Constantly having very loud ,outdoor parties,until very late in the night or very early in the am (however you choose to look at it) and our children's bedrooms were facing their backyards...
We spent many nights wishing our neighbors would understand common courtesy,but truthfully, it seemed like we would have been the only ones complaining because not one neighbor ever talked about the loud kids or the loud parties...
I would never say anything to anyone unless it really was a huge problem,but I would never address the kids w/out speaking to the parents first. I guess if after I talked the parents and I felt like things didn't improve or change, then I would just address the kids...
Maybe I am to nice.... or a wimp..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 02:57 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,946 times
There is no reason for little girls to be screamers. They learn what it means to be a girl from peers and parents. Teach the girls not to scream.

As the agreeved party, I think the boom box playing rap sounds like fun. Mind youm who knows what the consequences will be. I take it this is America, the land of the gun

Old 05-09-2009, 04:51 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
Have you considered the joys of beekeeping as a hobby?
You reminded me of a situation when I was still in high school. My parents had bought 2 lots which were side by side from two different people. They removed the fence and built their house in the middle. There was creek which ran through the property and separated the front third from the back where the house was. The neighborhood kids used to harass my younger brother by telling him that the front third belonged to the neighborhood and they could play in the creek any time they wanted. My dad, an avid bird watcher, discovered a little bird that migrated up and down the creek and one of the three things it ate was poison ivy berries. At this point he quit killing the vines that grew in the trees in the front. He also transplanted all the thorny wild rose bushes that grew along the back fence along the far edges of the creek. After enough kids got poison ivy and got scratched up, they quit trespassing and my parents never had to deal have any confrontations with the neighbors.

Am I the only one confused by this thread. Wouldn't all parents have kids?

Old 05-09-2009, 04:52 PM

758 posts, read 1,871,758 times
I like the sound of the rap suggestion too, but I bet any money the father would be the first one on the phone to the cops complaining about the noise and the crude lyrics. Funny how people are.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:05 PM

363 posts, read 1,146,045 times
Kids need to play outside and I am sure most will agree that children need to play outside more than they do. However, I don't think that it is acceptable for children to scream at the top of their lungs the entire time they are outside. When kids play, they will yell...that is a given. However, they also need to learn that actions have reactions and that their world expands beyond their home and yard. It is good for kids to learn sympathy, empathy, respect and kindness. I don't think teaching good manners will stifle a child or not allow them to burn off excess energy. Simple manners will help them develop a good character that will help them grow into nice, respectful and polite adults. It is unfortunate however that it sounds like these "little apples" will not fall far from the tree....mostly because they are not being taught otherwise.

Last edited by Maybe So; 05-09-2009 at 05:25 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 07:56 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,045,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
Have you considered the joys of beekeeping as a hobby?

Funny!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:07 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
wow... we use to have neighbors (on both sides actually) who's children would be on their trampoline constantly,screaming,singing,just being loud..
Actually,their parents were also big entertainers,especially during the Summer months. Constantly having very loud ,outdoor parties,until very late in the night or very early in the am (however you choose to look at it) and our children's bedrooms were facing their backyards...
We spent many nights wishing our neighbors would understand common courtesy,but truthfully, it seemed like we would have been the only ones complaining because not one neighbor ever talked about the loud kids or the loud parties...
I would never say anything to anyone unless it really was a huge problem,but I would never address the kids w/out speaking to the parents first. I guess if after I talked the parents and I felt like things didn't improve or change, then I would just address the kids...
Maybe I am to nice.... or a wimp..
The parents were never around. The kids would claim mom, dad, unlce, older sister, grandma...whoever was home. But knocking on the door, nobody ever answered. I addressed kid who were in our backyard.

I was also wrong when I said my daughter was 18 months. I was thinking about that today but that was the summer before, remembering which room in the house where she was still sleeping in the crib at the time, between 7-9 months old.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:19 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
In some parts of the country, though, I think the attitude toward ANY kind of confrontation is "You gotta problem wit' dat? Well BRING IT ON!" Dare I ask where your new neighbors moved from?
Funny you should mention this. They are from New York - surprise, surprise.

(I'm from the midwest so I'm fairly neutral in this north vs south thing, but I will agree with those who say *some* people from the northeast have that type of attitude including some of my good friends.)

I agree with the posters who said talk to the mom next. I am going to do that next time I see her outside but that may be a while. The parents aren't home much when I'm home and they just leave their kids home alone for the most part.

Love the rap music idea - hilarious. ha ha

Old 05-09-2009, 08:34 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,801 times
Why DO little girls do the prolonged girlscream? I used to be a little girl but don't remember any extended screaming-for-no-reason episodes. Sure, my friends and i would let out yelps and short, piercing screams of laughter and whatnot, but prolonged screaming was reserved for when I was in mortal danger... like if I saw a mouse in the garage... .

My friends and I just didn't do it. I first remember being aware of girlscreaming (as opposed to real screaming) when I saw The Beatles on TV (you've seen that footage, from 1964...). The girls were screaming and screaming and screaming so loud, I couldn't hear the music. I remember thinking "What is their PROBLEM???"

So, for those of you who have screamers, do you know why they do it? Aside from "because they can".

Old 05-09-2009, 08:48 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,883 times
I can only speak for myself and my answer is; " I really have no idea!" except that it seems like all the little girls are little screechers... I don't think that they are being annoying though,I mean sometimes it makes me a little nuts but I don't see it as a big deal.
I know that my children don't scream because we do as their parents,that would not be true,especially with my husband. He rarely raises his voice.
So I have no real reason as to why it happens and certainly if we felt it was out of control,we would be saying more... we don't have neighbors complaining about it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting