Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,168,808 times

Advertisements

it isn't just girls. The little boys next door to me scream to the high heavens all day. Not really playing either-just screaming. At each other, together, could be hurt but how would anyone know since they scream ALL the time.
Point is-kids can play and laugh and have fun but he actual piercing screaming should be if they are hurt or in danger. It's the parent's responsibility to instill that in them and to explain why it's so important.Any neighbor would be more than happy to assist the kids,look out for their well being if we know when their screams are screams for help. As it stands now,with the kids next door to me- I wouldn't be able to know if they need help. All they do is scream--the type of screams I taught mine were ok IF they need help. The parents never seem to address the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I can only speak for myself and my answer is; " I really have no idea!" except that it seems like all the little girls are little screechers... I don't think that they are being annoying though,I mean sometimes it makes me a little nuts but I don't see it as a big deal.
I know that my children don't scream because we do as their parents,that would not be true,especially with my husband. He rarely raises his voice.
So I have no real reason as to why it happens and certainly if we felt it was out of control,we would be saying more... we don't have neighbors complaining about it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 11:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
My DD was not a screaming little girl. Thankfully. I do remember a party of some sort that she had when they were about 5th grade where we had about 10 girls over. They eventually went outside and several of them did the screaming and running around thing. I was horrified, tried my best to corral them back into the house. I never had that particular group over again. These girls were full of drama all through high school. I was very glad my DD wasn't involved with them for too long! We do have neighbors who have boys who are constantly loud. It seems they cannot be outside without yelling. It is not the same high-pitched screaming that the girls do but at 7 am on Saturday morning it is just as annoying. I'm all for kids playing outside -it is healthy, but it is possible for one to play outside without constant screaming and yelling. The two are not mutually exclusive. Regardless of what a few lazy parents may have you believe.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:21 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times
Both of my kids (boy and girl) screamed and screeched as young toddlers, when they were trying out their voices. We discouraged it, and didn't allow it once they were a bit bigger. If we thought it was cute and didn't discourage it, I imagine they'd still be doing it... or maybe they would have outgrown it on their own, I don't know. As it is, they will screech if they see a bug, or occasionally my daughter will screech and scream if someone makes her angry, but I put a stop to it pretty much immediately.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:28 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,988 times
Buy an air horn and give it a little blast from your porch every time they start screaming.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 AM

901 posts, read 2,988,460 times
I think it depends on when this is happening. I'm assuming they are in school, so you're talking about after school and weekends, right? If they are not screaming too early or late, then I don't see what the problem is. If you're watching TV or listening to music, turn up the volume. If you're trying to nap or just want quiet, invest in ear plugs. I live in the city, so I always have a pair handy.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:43 AM

650 posts, read 2,179,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There's that "entitlement" word again...I guess you have never heard of 'be considerate of others".
Why is the OP "entitled" to quiet and the kids are not "entitled" to make noise? What makes the OP's need for quiet more important than the kids playing and just being kids? Aren't there a thousand threads about how it sucks to be a kid these days because you can't go out and play outside all day the way we did when we were kids? If you live in a neighborhood with children, it isn't going to be quiet all the time!

Old 05-10-2009, 09:47 AM

650 posts, read 2,179,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
Girls are only screamers if their parents ALLOW them to be and do not bother to take the time to teach them not to.
My kids don't "scream" any more than most other kids, but I have taught them that there are inside voices and outside voices. They know that they have to be quieter in the house, and outside they are free to let loose. I don't really see the problem?

Old 05-10-2009, 09:56 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
A lot depends on where you live, how close the houses are and the time of day. If you live close to your neighbors, there is nothing wrong with teaching your kids to be courteous. There is a difference in playing outside with "outside voices" - and occasional yelling out something, and prolonged, high-pitched screaming. It is possible to play without constant screeching - just because. Honestly, it's even a safety issue. If kids constantly scream, how would you know if they were screaming for a real, justifiable reason (injury or danger)?

Old 05-10-2009, 10:17 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
sounds like they are just kids being kids. I can see how it could be annoying, but I can more so see why the dad got defensive. I probably would have too. All of them being school aged, I assume they go to school all day, maybe play outside in the afternoon some days, then probably have homework and other activities before bed. I can't imagine that they are outside screaming so often that it would be an issue. If it is very early in the morning or late at night, that would be different. If I were the parent, I would probably talk to my kids about it, make them aware that they are bothering someone, but I wouldn't expect it to stop completely.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:09 PM

841 posts, read 4,840,559 times
I hate to say it, but I have one boy who is a screamer. I hate it, and I've brought him inside on several occasions for a time out b/c we don't like the behavior. It's obnoxious and embarrassing to me. My other boy is really not a screamer, but will kind of feed into it only sometimes if the other kids are doing it.

I remember one day bringing both boys back home (they were across the street in the neighbor boy's driveway playing) b/c they were being too loud. I told them about neighbors, courtesy, etc. Well, not 20 minutes later, one of the 'older' neighbors started working on his hot rod in the driveway...revving it up much louder than my kids could ever scream. And that behavior is definitely against HOA rules and regulations.

So, in all honesty, I haven't given as many timeouts for screaming behavior as I once did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting