Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 09:09 PM

546 posts, read 2,204,696 times

Advertisements

my 5 year old boy grunts a lot, it has been this way for months and now it's getting worse, it gets worse at nite or when we eat, no running nose of cough, he's still a very happy boy, the dr. has no clue, but recommend him do a barium swallow test to check out his throat, given how the swine flu goes, I don't even want him to go to this hospital to take this test. I have read that it could be allergy and so I'm trying on some children's allergy medication, worked occassionally and not always. we moved from the humid weather state of Hawaii to the dry Utah for your info. any experience or info would help. many thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:18 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,196 times
It can be a physical cause, and those do need to be ruled out, so keep with a daily dose of allergy med if approved by the doctor (maybe its a postnasal drip), and do the barium swallow (honestly I think his chances of picking up the swine flu virus at the grocery store, playground, school, etc...are as likely as going to a clinic in the hospital - just don't go through the ER).

Run a humidifier in his bedroom at night and possibly in your house 24/7.

One more thought is it could be a tic. Grunting and throat clearing are common vocal tics. It could be a transient tic of childhood, or it could be the beginning of a tic disorder. Time would tell. Keep track of it. If you can, videotape it. See if it gets more frequent when he is under stress (good stress or bad stress- my son's tics get frequent when he is very excited as well as when he is anxious).

Good luck.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 PM

546 posts, read 2,204,696 times
thanks, also, he has always had a hard time swallowing meat or vegi, he can chew on one chicken wing for half an hour...that's why the dr. recommended the barium swallow test...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
It can be a physical cause, and those do need to be ruled out, so keep with a daily dose of allergy med if approved by the doctor (maybe its a postnasal drip), and do the barium swallow (honestly I think his chances of picking up the swine flu virus at the grocery store, playground, school, etc...are as likely as going to a clinic in the hospital - just don't go through the ER).

Run a humidifier in his bedroom at night and possibly in your house 24/7.

One more thought is it could be a tic. Grunting and throat clearing are common vocal tics. It could be a transient tic of childhood, or it could be the beginning of a tic disorder. Time would tell. Keep track of it. If you can, videotape it. See if it gets more frequent when he is under stress (good stress or bad stress- my son's tics get frequent when he is very excited as well as when he is anxious).

Good luck.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
We went to the ER today. Any patients who had cold or flu symptoms were given masks as soon as they walked in the door. They're not germing the place up.

Furthermore, everyone who was wearing a mask was sent home rather fast. We were there for 6 hours and watched people wearing masks come and go.

(There were only a handful there with these symptoms. My point is they all arrived and left during the time period we were in the ER.)

None of them had swine flu. But the hospital was making their stay short so they couldn't infect anyone with their colds.

Don't be afraid to go to the hospital.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:33 PM

284 posts, read 1,168,004 times
I recommend going in for the test. Typically the test is performed in the Radiology wing, so you'll be far away from people with contagious illnesses. It's great your doc was on top of this - swallowing problems in kids should definitely be looked at as the main concern is aspiration, taking food into the lungs, which can cause pneumonia.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:00 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,181 times
Yes it should be. I have had a life long "tic" my mom called a habit. You know how you pop your ears like in a plane? or something like that... just a little hummmmm but it also popped my ears. I don't know why I do it. I think it was much worse when I was a child. My youngest also does about the same thing except she bends her ear forward and presses it together. I have always though it was a bad habit but now that I think about it I think it is probably the same thing I have done just a different method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting