Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:20 AM

467 posts, read 984,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
FYI - A homestudy is not just for those who are adopting through the foster care system. It is required of any person who adopts domestically or internationally. I have yet to read studies that show that "spanking" is the most effective parenting method.
It might work for some, but from personal experience (from being the spanked), I can tell u that its not effective for everyone. The harder they get hit the more some kids resist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 03:47 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
FYI - A homestudy is not just for those who are adopting through the foster care system. It is required of any person who adopts domestically or internationally. I have yet to read studies that show that "spanking" is the most effective parenting method.
I have yet to read studies identifying any other single method as the "most effective" either. And even if they did, that method would still not be the most effective for every child.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:14 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post

Yea ok. Dad would be homeless? First of all he has a condo and second of all he's a complete idiot. There is no way he'd be able to keep order and take care of those kids (even if he hired someone).
Do you really believe that it is actually Kate who is taking care of all those children? She's got lots of help, hired and otherwise. If he's a complete idiot, she's a complete b---h.

Quote:
And the mom doesn't always get the kids. In most cases where both parents are "suitable" and have place for the children to reside, they will share custody. It is equal time if the parents BOTH want.
That's what the law says. It always doesn't work that way.

Quote:
Many single parents do not want that and they rather have the weekends. If one parent wants and the other doesn't the courts decide. While I agree the courts maybe weren't that fair back in the day, they are now.
No, they're not.

Quote:
Let's also remember that husbands were allowed to beat their wives and the wives could not get a restraining order because the hubby lived in the home too back in the day!
Now wives are allowed to allege anything, and the cops are legally compelled to act. And the courts then follow whatever the cops do as gospel. In other words, a woman can say anything to get a man tossed out of his home, and he has no recourse.

Quote:
It's unfair to say the father has no rights. It's also not well-informed
Actually, it's very accurate and very well-informed. I take it you don't know very many men who are/were in bad marriages or divorces?

Old 06-26-2009, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 23,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Reality show star Kate Gosselin, already under investigation by Pennsylvania's Labor Department for possibly breaking child labor laws, is defending herself over new magazine photos that show her presumably spanking one of the sextuplets and talking to a police officer.

Kate Gosselin Spanks Leah? Photo of 'Jon and Kate' Reality Mom - ABC News
She wanted to be in front of the camera more than anything . She insisted that "the show must go on" (exact quote). She wanted the show more than her husband or kids ever did. She wants what the show brings her...money, fame, plastic surgery, new hair, new teeth. However, is she prepared for what else it will bring her? This is just the tip of the iceberg. It's all downhill from here.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 11,458 times
Okay EVEN if I agreed with what Kate did which I don't you don't take your coffee and walk away from a hysterical child. You sooth them, talk 2 them about why you did what you did and if you were wrong apologize. THAT'S PARENTING... not time outs or loss of privelleges... actually connection with your children

Old 06-28-2009, 05:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2b View Post
Okay EVEN if I agreed with what Kate did which I don't you don't take your coffee and walk away from a hysterical child. You sooth them, talk 2 them about why you did what you did and if you were wrong apologize. THAT'S PARENTING... not time outs or loss of privelleges... actually connection with your children
You don't sooth a child that is misbehaving. That is rewarding the misbehavior. Maybe Kate needed a "time out" so she didn't do something worse. I think talking about it with Leah (?) AFTER they both calmed down would work better. You can't reason with a hysterical child.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:58 PM

429 posts, read 685,100 times
That is whats wrong with the world today, people asking if its ok to spank a kid. Of course it's ok to spank. Kids need to know right from wrong.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:37 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshfield mom View Post
That is whats wrong with the world today, people asking if its ok to spank a kid. Of course it's ok to spank. Kids need to know right from wrong.

Well said!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:36 AM

751 posts, read 2,481,904 times
I'm not reading the article or any other posts because I don't care about that freak or anyones opinion of her, but spanking is not a crime - abuse is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting