Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:55 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,254,151 times

Advertisements

Both my kids have been out of school for colds, flu-like symptoms. They've both missed 4 days each. Its miserable weather here, many kids are out with similar symptoms.

I'm debating to keep them out tomorrow as well. School guidelines say they must be fever free for 24 hours without medication, but they have registered a slight fever, about 99 today. I feel one more day will help them recover fully. They've both been feeling miserable, headaches, sore throat, vomiting, just in general feeling crappy. Both went to the doc, both tested negative for flu.

Ok, there's something going around in our school, my daughter says about half the kids are out in her classes, well, that might ot be an accurate count, she just chats online, but still, I feel if I send them back tomorrow it might be too soon, let them recover from whatever fully. I'm conserned about missed work, but the school will just have to allow for that, with so many out (over 300 absent today).

so, what's your take? Its so early in the year to rack up absences, then that cuts into the total allowed (or else what? They both had medical excuses)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 07:58 PM

18,404 posts, read 19,042,623 times
if the kids are sick keep them home. don't worry about absences your children's health is way more important than a number of days missed at school. they can always make up the work

Old 09-24-2009, 08:00 PM

It could go either way, I think they're better now, but one more day to recover completely, or they could end up missing another week!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:02 PM

Frankly, I think they had a mild version of the flu, all the symptoms. The flu test came back negative, but there are a lot of false negatives. symptoms were low-grade fever, about 100.5, headache, sore throat, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, general yech feeling. I couldn't do anything more than keep them comfortable, tylenol, robitussin, push fluids, etc.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:14 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,475,916 times
Keep them home! Today is Thursday... keep them home tomorrow, let them recuperate over the weekend and I'm sure they'll be 100% by Monday morning.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:35 PM

Ok, well, DS is worse tonight, fever of 101.5, went down to 100.5 with tylenol, so he's definitely not going to school tomorrow.

DD is feeling better, but still severe headache and sinus drainage, so she stays home, too. I took both to a doc, they don't do anything but advise to give OTC meds, tylenol, robitussin, etc. They won't give antibiotics unless the kid tests positive for strepth, even with a fever, they tell you to ride it out, might as well save my time and money and save the kids a visit to sit for hours in the waiting room.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:36 PM

Thing is, DS had his flu shot, DD didn't, both are experiencing same symptoms.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,376,023 times
marylee54, keep them home the extra day, my son missed the frist 3 days of school. we should of kept him home a day or two longer.Long story short the missed 10 more days, because he ended up with something else. I called his doctor, and was told to keep him home a couple of days after the fever brakes, just to make sure he is well and not contagious. His doctors office has been so busy that they asked us to bring him in only if his breathing was affected or if his tempture was really high. Good thing he is only in kindergarden and i can keep up his work by doing workbooks i bouught at a bookstore. Hope your babies feel better. Schools can be a pain in the rear end, i can remember when my Grand ma passed away, and my highschool was giving my Mom a hard time about us taking time off and going back East. She was so ticked off she made a copy of my Grandmas, death notice, airline tickets, and anything else she could get and handed it over to the school.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,135,199 times
this flu is going round up here on east coast too----keep the kids home--no one here is calling it swine flu but who knows---those that had regular flu shots r getting sick too----most getting sick r under 50--makes ya wonder!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:06 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,125,899 times
Lots of icky stuff going around at my kid's school too. I would definitely keep them home another day and then they will have the weekend to recover too. I don't know your school's policy, but the schools here do not limit the absences if you have a doctor's note. They should be fine other than having a ton of missed work to complete. If they are feeling up to it, you might consider running by the school tomorrow for the work so they could start on it this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting