Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long before checking on a crying baby?
immediately 14 45.16%
5 minutes 9 29.03%
10 minutes 3 9.68%
15 minutes 1 3.23%
20 minutes 2 6.45%
30 minutes 1 3.23%
45 minutes 0 0%
and hour or more 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 02:54 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
If you've already talked face to face with parents about it...why do you need to post it on this site other than to see the debate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
I figured this would be a good place to ask since there are so many different parents here with so many different parenting styles.
I wanted to hear from a larger sample of people. That is why I'm asking here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 03:36 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,659 times
I never let my baby cry it out, that just was not in me to do. I know some people do this, but it was not me. Besides, the cat and dog would not let me do it, they were her "protectors" and were so upset when she cried, they would cry and be too upset, and kept staring at me to do something.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Depends on the kid and the parent. I don't think I ever had to do this, but maybe a couple times. I would wait until the baby was fed, really tired, but not asleep, then put him down. Both my boys learned to go to sleep alone in their crib very early on. this is one of the few things I think I really got right when they were babies!

Old 09-20-2009, 06:32 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,995 times
Stop looking for other parents to make decisions for you. If this is regarding "self-soothing" I have met so many moms who never let their babies CIO and the children sleep like rocks now. Most of these moms have more than 3 children.

Last edited by crisan; 09-20-2009 at 06:40 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisanmos View Post
Stop looking for other parents to make decisions for you.
Like I said before, I'm not looking for advice nor am I asking for other parents to make decisions for me. Did you read past the first post?

Old 09-20-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Stop looking for other parents to make decisions for you. If this is regarding "self-soothing" I have met so many moms who never let their babies CIO and the children sleep like rocks now. Most of these moms have more than 3 children.
OK, so I see you edited your post. If you want to know what this thread is about simply read the thread, all 16 posts.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:52 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,995 times
Quote:
OK, so I see you edited your post. If you want to know what this thread is about simply read the thread, all 16 posts.
Maybe you should be more careful with what you write in your first post especially with a topic like this one. This is a public forum and I do not have to read all of the other posts in order to participate.

Yes, the thread topic may have strayed a bit but TOS says to stick with the original post as much as possible. I am sorry I even responded. Later.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:04 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,416 times
I would never let an infant cry. My Mom and Grandmother would tsk me because I would be standing over them with a bottle right before they woke up (I just knew when they were starting to wake). And my Mom would say, :Let the baby cry a little, it will make its lungs strong". I would tell her that breathing makes the lungs strong too and I didn't want them to get use to crying.

When each child began to sleep in their own room, I would let them cry. I don't think they ever cried more than 5 or 7 minutes. It takes about three nights and then they do not cry anymore and know they are expected to go to sleep. If my husband were home, my daughter would cry because she knew he would get her. If he wasn't she would go right to sleep.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should be more careful with what you write in your first post especially with a topic like this one. This is a public forum and I do not have to read all of the other posts in order to participate.

Yes, the thread topic may have strayed a bit but TOS says to stick with the original post as much as possible. I am sorry I even responded. Later.
I asked two simple questions in my first post. You jumped to the conclusion that I was asking for advice and told me to "stop looking for other parents to make decisions for me". That did not answer my questions and seemed like a hostile response.

I'm genuinely curious how people feel about this particular method of sleep training. I'm curious how it works in most households because I recently realized that it's often used differently then I thought. I know that this can be a heated topic but I'm hopeful that this can remain a respectful discussion. In my OP I purposely asked the question simply because I didn't want to sway the discussion in any particular direction. I realized after a few responses that I needed to clarify.

Thanks to all who have answered the question. I appreciate your honesty and respectfulness.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
I asked two simple questions in my first post. You jumped to the conclusion that I was asking for advice and told me to "stop looking for other parents to make decisions for me". That did not answer my questions and seemed like a hostile response.

I'm genuinely curious how people feel about this particular method of sleep training. I'm curious how it works in most households because I recently realized that it's often used differently then I thought. I know that this can be a heated topic but I'm hopeful that this can remain a respectful discussion. In my OP I purposely asked the question simply because I didn't want to sway the discussion in any particular direction. I realized after a few responses that I needed to clarify.

Thanks to all who have answered the question. I appreciate your honesty and respectfulness.
seemed hostile to me too. A lot of posts on this forum ask for advice or general info. I don't see how this one is any different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting