Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:49 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times

Advertisements

This weekend we went to the zoo in D.C. outside one of the enclosed exhibits, as we turn the corner there is a woman and man with a little boy that looks like maybe he is either a big 2 yr old or a 3 yr old. The kid is naked from the waist down and the mother is wiping him off. Why couldn't they have walked to the nearest restroom and done that? Are people really that clueless? Is this acceptable in some countries, I know D.C. has alot of people from other countries and maybe where this family was from that was acceptable but for me this was just unacceptable. What has happened to using discretion?

Then weekend before last we were in a store and a mother was making her at least 8 yr old try on pants in the pants aisle, pulled his shorts off and left him standing in his underwear in front of all. The poor kid was very embarassed and arguing with her about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
it's funny you say this. we drove to a nearby park yesterday and a woman was changing her son's diaper---on the flatbed of the truck with all the family jewels hanging out.
now i get that this is a baby, and i myself have changed my son's diaper INSIDE the car.....but outside, wiping the stuff off---ugh! my husband just laughed but i was like wth?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:55 AM

754 posts, read 1,922,114 times
I just wouldn't do it now days because of all the pervs. You never know who is getting their thrills when you are thinking - He/She is just a baby.

When my son was 3 he dropped trous to pee at a Military Graduation Ceremony and he decided as the soldiers were in front of him he would turn his back to them and yep, his front to the stands. He mooned the soldiers and gave the stands an eyeful as well. I was so mortified and so was he because everyone laughed. In his defense, he didn't see anything wrong because it was hot and sunny so they had the stands in a wooded shaded area and he thought it was like camping. But it was still funny - at least it is now.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:14 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Some people are just not bothered by it and others are. I agree with 1984vt about the pervs. Some kid was peeing on the side of my house. I asked him to show me where he lived and we both walked over there. I explained to his family (there were like 8 adults in the home) that we have a sex offender living nearby and that he needs to be careful about where he pees.

I know a couple who video taped their toddler running around the yard naked and these are educated, well behaved people. My husband on the other refuses to let me take photo's our LO unless she has on at least a diaper. If she is in the bath, he covers her up with wash cloths. Some people are just not bothered by nakedness.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
You know I don't care what one does in their own car or their own home but there were lots of kids around and there this kid is with everything hanging out. It appeared as though he had an accident but still there were bathrooms pretty close. My youngest is 8 and when we walked by he leaned over and whispered in my ear "Mom, I bet that little boy is embarrassed."

Old 09-21-2009, 10:45 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Some women do not like little boys in the ladies' room, and the mom obviously couldn't go in the men's. Maybe the bathroom was gross. I think most of the comments from the breastfeeding threads probably apply. Just look away. It's perfectly natural. Big whoop.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 AM

758 posts, read 1,871,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Some women do not like little boys in the ladies' room, and the mom obviously couldn't go in the men's. Maybe the bathroom was gross. I think most of the comments from the breastfeeding threads probably apply. Just look away. It's perfectly natural. Big whoop.

Yeah I'm thinking, so what? The 8yr old being made to stand in the aisle and try on clothes was ridiculous, I'm sure he was mortified, but a 2 or 3 yr old? ahh big deal.

I would have went someplace more private but if I would have seen this I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
naw its no biggie .. PERSONALLY I believe we are so sanitized we are the ones embaressed at something thats perfectly normal in most cultures but america ..

the 8 yr old in the store tho thats a whole diffrent set of rules but up to about age 3 or so I dont think its so terrible to change the kid in public

Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Hey, what's LO? I've seen that term a couple of times now. Loved one? Little one?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:14 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
When I was at potty training age, I had been told that when you have to pee, pull your pants down. (or something along those lines, I honestly don't remember). I was riding in a truck with my uncle and we were stopped at a red light. He was only 18 at the time and he hears someone yell "here now, get your boy!!" He looks over and there I am, pants around my ankles, just letting it all go out the window all over the guy driving the car next to us at the light haha

At 2 or 3 I see no harm, but I agree the 8 year old would be embarrassed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting