Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,713 times

Advertisements

This is NOT a question about whether or not a child SHOULD use a phone but a question about whether your child is ABLE to use a phone.

The other day I was driving my stepkids to school when my mobile phone rang.

Because I never answer my phone when I'm driving I asked my 9 year old stepdaughter to answer it - but she didn't know how to - even after I gave her the simple directions.

It was almost as dangerous as answering the phone myself.

She just couldn't open the phone and find the answer key - then she said she couldn't hear - then she couldn't find the loudspeaker key.

Then she couldn't hang up.

Sigh.

I think she's old enough to answer a phone but she isn't really capable.

Can your kids do it?

From what age??? and did you have to sit down with them to teach them???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:22 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
My DD was able to use a cell phone at age 4 or 5. I never taught her how to use it... she pretty much figured it out on her own. Probably from watching me.

It seems that most kids these days are just born knowing how to do these things.... When I got my DD her own cell phone 1 1/2 years ago at 9 1/2, she figured out (completely on her own) how to do the ringtones, set the wallpaper, take pics/videos, record audio, etc. I asked her how she knew and she just said she just does. Same with the video games. She received a Gameboy Advance for Christmas at age 4. I figured she was too young for it, but I was wrong. She took it out of the box, put the game cartridge in and zipped away at it.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
It was almost as dangerous as answering the phone myself.

I think she's old enough to answer a phone but she isn't really capable.
You should have hit the "send" or "go" key and just handed her the phone.

I woulnd't say she's incapable. Maybe she's never watched anyone using a phone. Maybe she's not interested in using a cell phone. If you want her to be able to answer your phone while you're driving, teach her how to use it! Or, just let it go to voicemail.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:26 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times
Just like anything else they have to be taught. Most of the time it is usually picked up by just watching, at least by my kids anyway, but if you don't use it that much and she doesn't pay attention when you do then you will probably have to sit down and show her what the buttons mean. I'm sure it will only take once and she'll have it. It was probably hard to get for her because it was ringing and she felt pressure to answer it in time.

As for what age it varies my 4yr old loves the phone and can probably operate it and my 2yr old has placed many calls on my phone, although I think he just got lucky. I really can't remember when the older 2 were able to do it.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:40 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
My 8 year old son knows how to use it, enough to call me. We have a spare cell phone in the house (don't ask, left over from one of those add on family plans--but actually it has come in handy). Depending on where my son is going to be, sometimes I give it to him to keep with him in case he needs to call me, even if there are other adults around watching him. He knows he just needs to press and hold 2 to call me. He can also navigate around the contacts list as well. I did give him a little instruction.

My dd, 4 years old, can also use it. She only knows about the press and hold 2 to call me though, she wouldn't be able to call anyone else and could call China accidentally.

My kids love to use this phone whenever they get their hands on it to call me from other parts of the house to "chat". It's quite funny actually. Once my son tried to prank me with it, saying he was from the satellite dish company! He didn't connect the fact that caller ID would identify the number.

I probably should go over with him how to call the police on it, as I am not even sure myself if 911 would work.

Anyone know how I find out if 911 would work w/out calling 911 directly? Is this a question the PD would be able to answer? If it would work, I'd probably program that in as number 3 or something, and show that to my son. Well, maybe not, don't want any accidental calls. Pressing and holding 3 would take the same amount of time as pressing 911 SEND.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 PM

197 posts, read 397,561 times
My son is 9 and can use just about anything that is electronic.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:52 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
My 8 year old son knows how to use it, enough to call me. We have a spare cell phone in the house (don't ask, left over from one of those add on family plans--but actually it has come in handy). Depending on where my son is going to be, sometimes I give it to him to keep with him in case he needs to call me, even if there are other adults around watching him. He knows he just needs to press and hold 2 to call me. He can also navigate around the contacts list as well. I did give him a little instruction.

My dd, 4 years old, can also use it. She only knows about the press and hold 2 to call me though, she wouldn't be able to call anyone else and could call China accidentally.

My kids love to use this phone whenever they get their hands on it to call me from other parts of the house to "chat". It's quite funny actually. Once my son tried to prank me with it, saying he was from the satellite dish company! He didn't connect the fact that caller ID would identify the number.

I probably should go over with him how to call the police on it, as I am not even sure myself if 911 would work.

Anyone know how I find out if 911 would work w/out calling 911 directly? Is this a question the PD would be able to answer? If it would work, I'd probably program that in as number 3 or something, and show that to my son. Well, maybe not, don't want any accidental calls. Pressing and holding 3 would take the same amount of time as pressing 911 SEND.
911 is supposed to work with any phone, even ones without plans or minutes, as long as it can turn on and has a signal. The only catch is you have to be able to tell them your location they won't be able to pinpoint exactly where the call came from.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Anyone know how I find out if 911 would work w/out calling 911 directly?
The only problem with calling 911 from a cell phone is that they won't be able to track your location immediately the way they can with a landline. They would (after the fact) be able to track which cell tower your call bounced from and get a general idea of where you were calling from. You're going to have to teach the kids how to explain landmarks of where they are or addresses or even to look at street signs to know exactly where they are if they need emergency help.

The best thing is to teach ALL your kids about 911. I set it up in my daughter's phone under "emergency". She knows she can dial 911 or just go into contacts and hit "emergency" and it goes straight to 911. I tested it and explained to the operator what I was doing and she was very understanding about it and said it's a good idea to have it set up in the phone and teach the kids how to use it.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:52 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Both of my children, 8 and just turned 4, can use one and I didn't teach them. In fact, if I don't hide my phone my 4 year old will call, text, take pics and change my ringtones. But he is a super techno child that can also use the computer independently and somehow navigates around my passwords so I'm not sure he counts. LOL

But, many phones are different so it could be that your stepdaughter wasn't familiar with the key placement?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
All my kids have from as early as i can remember played with my phone. On my PDA phone they used to play the bubble breaker game. But I don't think they could really answer it until they were maybe 7 or 8. Partly because they don't get to practice that skill. By the time they are 12 they end up with their own phone (pre paid of course)

As an aside, as a safety thing, all my kids from about 3 years of age were taught my mobile phone number. We used to sing it in the car. I bet some people thought us strange. They were instructed that if they got lost to ask someone to call me. And it worked. Once we were at a fair and number 3 child got separated. They were 5y.o and anyway someone saw them standing looking lost and ask them and I received the call and was able to go find my child and was very relieved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting