Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

DD was never that much into dolls but those AG ones were popular. I couldn't/wouldn't spend the money (this was quite awhile ago as she is now 19) - grandma bought her one I think - because it looked so much like her. It was a big deal to have a "real" AG doll, not a knockoff....we never got into all the accessories...like I said, she just wasn't that much into dolls...

I totally don't get the "homeless" doll though, I agree with the PP who said it's just an attempt to be PC.....give me a break, they are dolls for children - can't we just leave it at that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 09:17 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
I also do not get the "homeless" doll. I loved dolls as a child, in fact, I still have a few special dolls that my mom and grandparents gave me or that I bought myself when I started working as a teen. I wouldn't think twice about spending that much money for a doll if I had a daughter though.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:58 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Any moron parent who would even CONSIDER purchasing this "homeless" doll should take that $95 and their child and go to a soup kitchen, donate the money, and volunteer at the soup kitchen to feed homeless individuals and families.

What a complete disgrace!
Well, my dd does have several AG dolls, horses and accessories. Some were from us, most were from the grandparents and relatives. She's outgrown them now, so they'll either be given away or put on ebay w/ the money given to church and donated to charity. She has been taught to help the homeless. We are a part of several charities donating to children, such as Gospel for Asia and the shoebox giving at Christmas. I don't find it a disgrace to own an expensive doll anymore than it is a disgrace to own the expensive electronics on the market as long as a child is taught the art of giving. Her money is divided into three groups, God/church, others and then her. She took $70 of her own money to give to tornado victims one year. She bagged up a garbage bag full of stuffed animals and other toys for hurricane victims w/o being asked. She then suggested we go shopping for clothes for the children who lost their homes. We've taken many a shopping trip shopping for others and not ourselves.

I'm in no way implying this to anyone posting here, but it's funny how a woman doesn't mind having an expensive diamond ring or maybe some other splurge at the salon or spa, but an AG doll is so wrong. I guess if you can afford them and are still able to give to charity, what's the big deal?

Old 09-29-2009, 06:12 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I also do not get the "homeless" doll. I loved dolls as a child, in fact, I still have a few special dolls that my mom and grandparents gave me or that I bought myself when I started working as a teen. I wouldn't think twice about spending that much money for a doll if I had a daughter though.
My MOTHER collects American Girl dolls. I think she has 4 or 5 of them, with many of their outfits, plus outfits she has picked up at flea markets (there are people who make doll clothes this size and sell them). My daughter, who is 4, doesn't have one of her own but loves to look at them and their clothes at my mother's house.

I certainly would pay $95 for a good quality doll. People manage to waste a hell of a lot more money on other crap. If I counted up the money my son has spent on Pokemon cards and bakugan, it would pay for at least a doll or two.

I don't think that is the issue with this particular doll.

The issue here is the whole philosophy of American Girl Dolls, the way they market their items, their product line, and accessories.

We are talking about a "homeless" American Girl Doll, I just don't get it. This girl would be about the cleanest and most well groomed homeless child I have ever seen. What accessories are they selling for her? Fashion clothing? I mean really, it's ridiculous! I cannot even imagine how you can even market a "clothing line" for a homeless doll. (Normal American Girl Dolls have 3-4 pages of accessories devoted to each of them, alternate outfits, purses, schoolbags, pajamas, furniture sets-----yes all for the doll itself, plus matching pajama sets for the little girl and her doll.) So I am just imagining what the 3-4 pages of accessories in the catalog will be?

It's preposterous, and I will not be surprised if this goes down as a utter and complete sales flop.

Quote:
Any moron parent who would even CONSIDER purchasing this "homeless" doll should take that $95 and their child and go to a soup kitchen, donate the money, and volunteer at the soup kitchen to feed homeless individuals and families.

What a complete disgrace!
I agree 100%.

Quote:
No, I think it's just AGs way of being "politically correct" or trying to bring "awareness" about homelessness..... More likely just another way to line their pockets from the sale of an overpriced toy.
Exactly. And I was laughing my ass off at the newscasters describing the American Girl doll store in NY. My mother went there with a relative and her little girl who desperately wanted to go to that store. It was hours to get the doll's hair done, plus of course it is a store, so you spend even more money on clothes, etc. while there.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:20 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Well, my dd does have several AG dolls, horses and accessories. Some were from us, most were from the grandparents and relatives. She's outgrown them now, so they'll either be given away or put on ebay w/ the money given to church and donated to charity. She has been taught to help the homeless. We are a part of several charities donating to children, such as Gospel for Asia and the shoebox giving at Christmas. I don't find it a disgrace to own an expensive doll anymore than it is a disgrace to own the expensive electronics on the market as long as a child is taught the art of giving. Her money is divided into three groups, God/church, others and then her. She took $70 of her own money to give to tornado victims one year. She bagged up a garbage bag full of stuffed animals and other toys for hurricane victims w/o being asked. She then suggested we go shopping for clothes for the children who lost their homes. We've taken many a shopping trip shopping for others and not ourselves.

I'm in no way implying this to anyone posting here, but it's funny how a woman doesn't mind having an expensive diamond ring or maybe some other splurge at the salon or spa, but an AG doll is so wrong. I guess if you can afford them and are still able to give to charity, what's the big deal?
You don't have to justify what you do with your money because you own expensive things. Your daughter sounds like a very generous young lady. IMO, as long as kids take care of their things, understand the value of a dollar, and appreciate what they are given, there is no reason not to spend money if you have it.

We all have to teach our children the values associated with money in our own way, just like we have to teach them everything else.

(My son has a bank that you separate your money into save, spend and donate. It's a great way to show them how their money isn't just for blowing on crap whenever they feel like it)

Old 09-30-2009, 12:19 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
I can't get the link to open.

My daughter has a My Twinn. I purchase home-made items for her from sellers listed on eBay. Can't play that catalog acce$$ories game. I'm the oddball, I guess.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:47 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
My daughter has an American Girl doll named Samantha. She absolutely loves that doll. Her grandmother gave it to her for her eighth birthday, and every holiday she gives her another accessory or two. I always swore I'd never allow AG in the house, but after seeing my daughter's face light up when she received the doll, I've softened up a bit.
My 11 yr old has an AG doll. My 5 yr old has a bitty baby.

I purchased neither as I refused.

The 11 yr old saved up her money and bought it herself and the 5 yr old got hers as a gift from grandma (can't believe she did that)

Old 09-30-2009, 07:50 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
To the posters that think $95 is too pricey for a doll, do you buy other items like a Nintendo DSi? I'm just wondering if it's the doll itself you object to or spending that much money overall on a toy.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:16 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
To the posters that think $95 is too pricey for a doll, do you buy other items like a Nintendo DSi? I'm just wondering if it's the doll itself you object to or spending that much money overall on a toy.

My objection is the $95 on this particular doll.... a "homeless" doll being used as just another way for AG to line their pockets.

I stand by my original thought that any parent who would consider purchasing THIS doll should take that $95, donate it to a homeless shelter or soup kitchen and take their child to volunteer at a soup kitchen, feeding the homeless so the child can see what homeless families go through.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
I had the same thought. What about the Wii system that seems to be the toy du jour in our neighborhood? Or a bike? Most new kids' bikes cost at least $100 today. Or a big Lego set? I can think of dozens of toys that run a hundred dollars or more that are currently very popular. Why is a doll an unreasonable extravagance, but a bike or an electronic game system is not?

Of the girls in my daughter's circle, none received their dolls on a whim. They were big gifts for special events or holidays and very enthusiastically received.

Now, about the doll's homelessness, well, that does seem a bit odd for an AG doll's life story. Perhaps they were just trying to be current.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting