Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,205,669 times

Advertisements

Please pray for my son. He is on a road trip with a friend to visit another friend at a college on the other side of the state.

He began having panic attacks an hour ago.

He wanted me to pick him up, but it's safer for him to continue with his friend.

I don't want him sitting in a rest stop by himself for 4 hours waiting for me to arrive.

It's almost midnight. He'd be there from midnight until 4am by himself.

His friend offered to turn around and bring him home, but my son doesn't want to ruin his friend's trip. Ironic.

Maybe being forced to deal with this will be best for him. Running away from things only makes panic attacks worse the next time around.

But that doesn't change the fact that I'm worried for my son. All I can do at this point is ask people for their prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 12:17 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,474,928 times
So sorry to hear this. Just try to talk him through it and if it gets bad enough he should go to a emergency room and be treated.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:05 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,869,449 times
That happened to my friend when she decided to drive to Alaska from Michgan! I felt so bad for her there was no way to get back other than to drive. If it continues, tell him to take a tylenol PM to take the edge off. Poor guy. I have occasional panic attacks and while they aren't fun, I can deal with them.. It must be scary for a young kid.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:43 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,909,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Please pray for my son. He is on a road trip with a friend to visit another friend at a college on the other side of the state.

He began having panic attacks an hour ago.

He wanted me to pick him up, but it's safer for him to continue with his friend.

I don't want him sitting in a rest stop by himself for 4 hours waiting for me to arrive.

It's almost midnight. He'd be there from midnight until 4am by himself.

His friend offered to turn around and bring him home, but my son doesn't want to ruin his friend's trip. Ironic.

Maybe being forced to deal with this will be best for him. Running away from things only makes panic attacks worse the next time around.

But that doesn't change the fact that I'm worried for my son. All I can do at this point is ask people for their prayers.
Oh, poor guy! I will keep you both in my thoughts. You and he are absolutely right that pushing through it is the most effective thing, even though it is scary as all get out. Keep us posted!!

Old 10-25-2009, 07:13 AM

Thanks everyone. It's been a very long night. He stuck it out and then continued to have anxiety when he arrived at the campus. He went outside for a walk to deal with his anxiety and couldn't find his way back to the apartment building because they all looked the same.

I was all set to leave the house at 3:00am, to pick him up at 7:00am, when he finally found his friends again. Mind you, he is still having anxiety so he's NOT happy about being there. I guess he eventually fell asleep because I haven't heard from him, and it's 9:00am now.

I just sent him a text with information for taking a Greyhound bus home. When he wakes up, he will have a decision to make---stay to ride home with his friend or take an 8 hour Greyhound bus ride.

He has had a serious flare up of anxiety problems for the past two months. He needs counseling and treatment, but he refuses. HOW CAN YOU CONVINCE SOMEONE TO GET MENTAL HEALTH TREATMENT?

Oh, I forgot to mention that he told me last night that this was all my fault---that I should have never let him go! He WANTED to go! He's an adult! He didn't have anxiety until he was on the way there---yet this is all my fault somehow.

I decided to do a little tough love and send the Greyhound information. I raised him to be independent. He knows how to take care of himself. He needs to learn how to do that even during an anxiety attack. I feel babying him and rushing to his rescue will only enable his anxiety problems. And if that's too uncomfortable for him, maybe that will cause him to realize that he does in fact need counseling.

That doesn't change my worrying though. And I'm hoping that I am doing the right thing.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:42 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,796,640 times
Tell him that he is not going to die from anxiety.

Tell him to pinch his earlobe, as hard as he can stand, until the anxiety goes away. And if it comes back, pinch again, and harder. Anxiety produces physical sensations that must be dealt with, EFT techniques work for some people, you can find short videos of that on youtube. EFT looks silly but it does work for some people.
Here's a link for an example:

YouTube - EFT for back to school anxiety

Tell him to CLOSE his eyes, TAKE DEEP BREATHS.

Tell him he can handle this.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:06 AM

Thanks. He has had therapy before. He knows relaxation techniques. He's just out of control right now. I have been talking him through this all night.

Geeze. He just woke up and texed "JUST COME GET ME AND QUIT WASTING TIME."

Old 10-25-2009, 08:14 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,796,640 times
How old is he?

I would not go get him. At some point, he is going to have to face his problem with anxiety. It may as well be right now. Tell him to utilize relaxation techniques and to get his mind OFF of himself....even if he has to go outside and start marching around, singing, or whatever.....if you run to his rescue, he will not be motivated to face this and conquer it.

Quote:
I have been talking him through this all night.
Does this only happen to him when he is alway from you, or does it happen to him all the time?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:40 AM

603 posts, read 2,342,395 times
I know this is hard on both of you, but he needs to stay where he is and come home as planned. Running to his rescue will not help him in the long run. He needs to see that he can survive this. What is he going to do when he is in college? For future college visits, I would go as a family. Besides, you should see what it looks like to and talk about financial aid. It might also help for future panic attacks.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
How old is he?
Just turned 18.

Quote:
I would not go get him. At some point, he is going to have to face his problem with anxiety. It may as well be right now. Tell him to utilize relaxation techniques and to get his mind OFF of himself....even if he has to go outside and start marching around, singing, or whatever.....if you run to his rescue, he will not be motivated to face this and conquer it.
That's why I haven't gone, but I do fear that long term exposure to this experience might do some serious harm. He might never go away to college because of this. He might very well never leave the house again because of this.

He has social anxiety. He developed it four years ago. He has been doing great for the past two years, but it came back full force in September. It's the things he wants to do most that cause him anxiety. The anxiety on the turnpike last night was about the prospect of facing strangers when he arrived at the campus.

Every single failure makes the next time worse. And it can't get much worse than it's been for the last month. I'm hoping that hitting rock bottom will make him accept the fact that he needs treatment.

He's very anti drugs and anti therapy. He had a bad experience with medication and therapists. The progress he made a few years ago, he did on his own. I keep reminding him that he has the skills to overcome this. It's just not working right now.

Quote:
Does this only happen to him when he is alway from you....
No. He doesn't have separation anxiety. He has traveled the country for entire summers without me until a couple of years ago.

Quote:
, or does it happen to him all the time?
For the past 1-1/2 months, it's been all the time prior, during and after a social situation that sparks it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting