Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:00 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
As an aside, am I the only person sick of being subjected to others' opinions on my plan to be a working mother? The comment of "feeling bad" for the kids who parents have careers, and being "fortunate" to be able to stay home... I feel fortunate to have a job where my kids will not have to worry about having food on their plates, and can go on vacations, go to private schools, and not have to support their parents when they get older. Slight mini rant there, but I hear enough about it in real life, reading it on a forum just about did it to me this afternoon.
While I think people are ridiculous that give working mothers a hard time, I just want to make clear that not all SAHM's are broke and can't afford to give their kids anything. My children attend private schools and we go on vacations too, remember stereotypes run both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 05:07 PM

543 posts, read 2,310,728 times
No this is not an issue of SAHM's and working mom's. And we too sent our children to private schools and went on vacations every summer.They did not have every little thing they wanted. We did the best we could. I think my assumptions are right after these posts. Parents just flat out don't care!! Do you talk to your child's classroom teacher or principal this way? The women I work with are now taking this to the principal, after reading these posts. I am just stating facts as I see them in my place of employment.

And if reading about this in a forum about did you in, try working in daycare!! I bet you won't like what you see either.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Look...You came on here ragging on parents (not the parents who utilize the daycare that you work at but parents who use daycare in general)....As someone said, venting is one thing - but you were lecturing....then you went on to say you felt sorry for those kids etc etc....My kids went to daycare - we had an excellent relationship with their daycare providers and my kids grew up with manners. Really - no need to feel sorry for them. They did fine. My daughter is currently studying to be a teacher and currently works in a daycare. I do understand that there are rude parents. There are also rude SAH parents. Every job has it's frustrations. I don't always get to leave the minute the clock hits 5 pm either. Maybe it's time you found something else for awhile.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:04 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Look...You came on here ragging on parents (not the parents who utilize the daycare that you work at but parents who use daycare in general)....As someone said, venting is one thing - but you were lecturing....then you went on to say you felt sorry for those kids etc etc....My kids went to daycare - we had an excellent relationship with their daycare providers and my kids grew up with manners. Really - no need to feel sorry for them. They did fine. My daughter is currently studying to be a teacher and currently works in a daycare. I do understand that there are rude parents. There are also rude SAH parents. Every job has it's frustrations. I don't always get to leave the minute the clock hits 5 pm either. Maybe it's time you found something else for awhile.
hear hear

OP its not what you said that caused the reaction you have seen, its how you said it. Instead of blowing off steam you were lecturing as if this audience were the actual parents in your after-school care. Since we are not, and not every parent is as horrible as you describe, rightfully some people took offense at your pity for children of working parents and the accusation that no parent that uses after-school care cares about the rules in place.

I am sorry you have parents that think if their child brings a toy from home and it breaks it is your fault. I think if the rules are no toys from home, my kids could learn their lesson by having the teacher confiscate it and not give it back til the end of the year or at all. I completely back up rules like that. I think a lot of parents do. I think a lot of us also present a united front with the teacher/principal/bus driver. You just have the misfortune of having a lot of families that do not feel the same way in your program, for whatever reason. And I am sorry to hear that. Sounds like it is time for the hammer to come down.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 PM

If I was lecturing honey, it would not have been nice!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:23 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Mrs.Mo,
I've done what you do for a job (daycare provider) and yes, you can feel like a low paid servant sometimes. And yes, you do have the parents who ALWAYS come late and it is frustrating because you work till a certain time and you want to go home.

I think perhaps you did have a bad day or you are just burned out. It's not an easy job and you will be frustrated not only by the noise, the annoying rote of it all, and the way you really feel 'no one appreciates' what you do.

Unless you have worked in preschool or daycare, you cannot feel the frustration MrsMo has!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:45 PM

I raised 4 kids to treat others with respect, and to never ever look down on another person. No this was not my chosen field to work in, but with this economy I took the job when it was offered. Before having my children I was an accountant and loved it, swore I would never leave my position. Even if I had gone back to work after my kids were born I would never have disrespected the daycare workers as these parents do. And then all the parents on here going off on me like I am lecturing, you would know if I was lecturing. Maybe a little guilt feeling? Maybe some of you have treated your child care provider the way my co workers and I are treated. And as for me looking down on working parents because I was a SAHM for 30 years, that is pure BS, I was going to go back to work but my husband found the perfect job at just the right time and begged me to not go back to work. And I have been very lucky for over 30 years. (He still has the same job and with this economy that is amazing.) I took this job to add to our retirement since we lost so much over the last couple of years. We have aging parents, my own father suffering with cancer and I need to be spending time with him and taking care of his needs. So see, we are all working for a reason. Me for retirement and most just to make ends meet and keep their families afloat. I do treat my dads nurses with utmost respect and thank them on the Sundays I am able to make the 2 hr drive to be with my dad, and thank them repeatedly for being with him at this time. I of course cry because at this time of my life am unable to spend much needed time with him. His nurses are angels from heaven and treat him like he was their dad.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:49 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
put a jacket on your child.... And tell them to wear their coats. ...And another thing, there are 3 adults and 20 kids, don't complain about the noise in the room when you walk in to pick up your child. ...but don't waltz in at 6 and act like you are doing us a favor by getting there at the last minute. ... Please teach your children about respecting not only the adults, but also the other children in child care. ...
... so maybe you should check your child's backpacks???
Why have we spent a fortune on toys for the kids to play with if you are going to let your child bring his/her own, and if it gets broke you yell at us? ..
Quote:
If I was lecturing honey, it would not have been nice!!!
The way you wrote these comments has the tone of lecturing. We are not your daycare parents - like I said, its the way you wrote it. That's all.

Your complaints have validity. I would hang myself if I worked in daycare. Ugh. I'd rather clean toilets.

And I am not your honey LOL.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:28 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,206,140 times
Quote:
No this is not an issue of SAHM's and working mom's. And we too sent our children to private schools and went on vacations every summer.They did not have every little thing they wanted. We did the best we could. I think my assumptions are right after these posts. Parents just flat out don't care!! Do you talk to your child's classroom teacher or principal this way? The women I work with are now taking this to the principal, after reading these posts. I am just stating facts as I see them in my place of employment.

And if reading about this in a forum about did you in, try working in daycare!! I bet you won't like what you see either.
If it's not an issue of SAHMs vs working moms, then stop the comparisons in your rants. I actually CAN be a SAHM and do all the same things I plan to do... except save for my own retirement, which is why I work. To me, that is doing right by my son.

I am an electrical engineer. When I was out of work, I worked as a substitute teacher in the Bronx, so don't assume I don't know what you're talking about - I had my fair share of kindergartners, and as a sub, it wasn't easy. However, it's doable, and I did it without complaint. Sure you have parents who don't care - which means, YOU should be the one caring while you have your time with these kids. Playing the blame game never benefits the kid.

However, you seem to feel you are above that work anyway - maybe you should start looking for something else. Maybe a math tutor?

Old 10-30-2009, 10:01 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
If you ask me, the working parents should feel grateful that their are groups willing to watch their kids until 6pm at night and stop being so picky about it. Dont get mad at the caretakers who are doing you a favor (even though i'm sure they are paid). If you dont like the rules, stay at home with your kids. I've seen my fair share of ranting parents who get angry over stupid little things and take it out on teachers!! If you ask me parents spoil their kids and teach them no respect these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting