Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:43 AM

942 posts, read 2,584,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
My oldest was pretty much living along the same line. Constant getting into trouble. Then quit school. I finally had had enough and put him into a military academy for 6 months. That boy came home a changed man. He is now 19 and has a great paying job in the oilfeild...where they work him for a good 12 solid hours a day. And he has just purchased his own car. I'm feeling pretty proud of him these days. But believe me there were times I seriously thought it would be just best to snuff the life out of him and save everyone the trouble he was constantly causing. Not sure if that is an option in your area...but it sure seemed to help my son.
Im looking into military/boot camp/school options now. Thank for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 11:04 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
There were 20 some kids than ran away from my sons military school in the first 2 weeks. He stuck it out. He came home saying yes sir and and yes maam. Picked up after himself, quit drinking, got his GED, found work etc.
They started out sleeping on a concrete floor...and worked their way up to sheets, blankets, mattress' and then an actual bed. Any misbehavior earned them the right to stand at meals, no condiments, and lugging a pack full of gear all day. I went and visited every 2 weeks. He will need your support through it all...as it is tough on the kids. Alot of the kids went straight into some branch of military with an early promotion due to the academy training. It was a life saver in my book. I'm sure my son would be sitting in a jail cell looking at a few years right now...had I not got him (forced him) into it.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
There were 20 some kids than ran away from my sons military school in the first 2 weeks. He stuck it out. He came home saying yes sir and and yes maam. Picked up after himself, quit drinking, got his GED, found work etc.
They started out sleeping on a concrete floor...and worked their way up to sheets, blankets, mattress' and then an actual bed. Any misbehavior earned them the right to stand at meals, no condiments, and lugging a pack full of gear all day. I went and visited every 2 weeks. He will need your support through it all...as it is tough on the kids. Alot of the kids went straight into some branch of military with an early promotion due to the academy training. It was a life saver in my book. I'm sure my son would be sitting in a jail cell looking at a few years right now...had I not got him (forced him) into it.
Rance, which military school was it?? Can you give me the name??

Old 05-11-2007, 12:11 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,165,726 times
I'm thinking a weird question right now.

Why can't parents achieve the same results as these military schools/boot camps?

Too much outside influence? We can't become unattached strangers and carry the big stick? We hurt too much if we have to be tough? We leave it up to somebody else because "what you don't see, doesn't hurt you"?

Honest. How come we have to send our kids to someone else?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I'm thinking a weird question right now.

Why can't parents achieve the same results as these military schools/boot camps?

Too much outside influence? We can't become unattached strangers and carry the big stick? We hurt too much if we have to be tough? We leave it up to somebody else because "what you don't see, doesn't hurt you"?

Honest. How come we have to send our kids to someone else?
Hi VpCats, I think it has alot to do with outside influence...enviroment. Atleast in my case, Daniel chooses to pick the wrong friends. His older brother goes tot he same school but hangs out with different people. I cannot incubate him and follow him at school so he stops talking to these kids that are BAD for him and create a reputation. How to solve the problem; tough love, tried that. Relocating as you know I've been trying to sell my home. For some reason although I could say the right things and do the right things he doesnt want to listen. We are on two different wave patterns. To him I no nothing. This is when I as responsible parent need to say "I need help." The things I have been trying doesnt work. Do I give up on him or try to find qualified people that perhaps no better about disciplining than I do. Perhaps him see that mamma is not going to be able to pull you out of this one. Im not sure but I have to do something.

And carry the "big stick" believe me I'd like to hit him with the big stick at times but I control myself. If not I would be the one in jail. Because as parents we only have limited ways for disciplining but full responsibilities for there actions!!!

Old 05-11-2007, 12:45 PM

Liset - did you see the PM I sent you earlier?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:47 PM

Also, have you done a search on the boot camps in Florida? I seem to remember something on the news, a couple of times, about things happening there. I don't know how you could make sure about the real "reputation" of some of these places.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Also, have you done a search on the boot camps in Florida? I seem to remember something on the news, a couple of times, about things happening there. I don't know how you could make sure about the real "reputation" of some of these places.

Yes, I remember what your talking about. No I am not going through the state I just need there permission for him to leave our county. Im looking at privatley funded places. I will as Im closing in on the place google the place to make sure they do not incidents. This is isnt a matter Im taking lighly but the safety of Daniel is my number one concern.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Liset - did you see the PM I sent you earlier?
VPCATS, your the second person that tells me they have sent me a PM and I cant reteive it...its not there. Im going to PM markablue to see whats going on.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:25 PM

ohhhhhh. Gosh and it was a long one. Well, it should still be in my box so I can always re-send it but I'll wait to see what you get from Markablue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting