Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:24 AM

6 posts, read 30,028 times

Advertisements

i want to know has anyone ever heard of Andre Nickatina????? my kids listening to this god awful music about cocaine should i be worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 10:59 AM

282 posts, read 1,264,493 times
What kind of music is it? I've never heard of him.....them??

Nevermind, I just looked it up. They have a myspace page. It's rap. Don't know anything about them, I don't listen to rap. If you want to see about them, their myspace url is: http://www.myspace.com/certifiedandrenickatina

Last edited by Lauri_25ny; 05-11-2007 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: checked something

Old 05-11-2007, 12:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Well, it looks godawful all right. But when I read the lyrics to the Nickatina cocaine song I found, it sounded very anti-drug.
snippet:
Man I'm goin to hell
Or I'm a die in jail
Or these bullets gon' rain
And I'm gonna get nailed
Cut cut cut me down Nicky
It make me wanna shiver
The lost soul of a coke dealer
Word life..
The lost soul of a coke dealer
Word life

How old is your kid?
My older son (younger son, to a lesser degree) went through that gangsta stuff and eventually continued enjoying the more thoughtful hip hop artists but gave up on the thug crowd.
To be honest with you, when it comes to hip hop people, I can't always tell who has loftier ideals!
But if someone keeps spewing words like "ho" and "gats" it's a bit of a turn off.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:38 PM

606 posts, read 699,522 times
no,never heard.
Why do you worry?

Old 05-11-2007, 11:51 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,061 times
I would worry if the message is as you say...its not about how the song sounds but the message they pass on...

I think this kind of message de-sensitizes people to things that are truly shocking and should remain shocking...

Having said this, I have NO idea how you approach this with your children. Mine is only 10 and we have not gotten into that area YET although I am sure its on the horizon.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:21 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
...It's rap. Don't know anything about them, I don't listen to rap...
The original post said something about music, now you're saying it's rap.

Well, now I'm confused! Which is it, music or rap?

Old 05-12-2007, 03:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post

Some people do not consider "spoken word" (hip hop or rap) as music.
And I have to admit I do prefer spoken word type stuff which uses musical elements, because I like a melody.
Whatever it is, it is stuff that a lot of young people are listening to these days.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:15 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Some people do not consider "spoken word" (hip hop or rap) as music.
And I have to admit I do prefer spoken word type stuff which uses musical elements, because I like a melody.
Whatever it is, it is stuff that a lot of young people are listening to these days.
I know and agree with most of your post (all except preferring spoken word type stuff). Like you, I like a melody, which is the primary reason I don't consider rap to be music. The main purpose of my post was to elicit chuckles from other folks who think like I do. Thanks for the response.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:14 PM

282 posts, read 1,264,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post

I was thinking that when I went and looked it up!

Old 05-13-2007, 08:59 AM

942 posts, read 2,584,529 times
I would definatley tell you be worried!! Thay start with the music and it just escalates from there. They will begin to idolize these rappers. Sometimes I believe we have to much freedom of speech!! These people should be outlawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting