Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 06:39 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times

Advertisements

Well my neighbor called me today to ask if my daughter would be available to babysit her grandD this Friday so they could watch a ballgame. My daughter has babysat for her a couple of times, however she is not free this Friday. My neighbor seemed really dejected and although given a name of another girl in the 'hood, she hesitated since the other girl was younger than my daughter. I offered to check my schedule to see if I could stand in for my daughter so she could watch her son's ball game. Should I expect to be paid? If she offers to pay, should I accept? If she offers to pay an asks me how much, what should I ask for? Now I'm not really too hip on watching a 2-year old from 6:30-10, but she sleeps at 8 pm, and I feel for her since she won't be able to go without a sitter. Truly, I feel like I'm doing her a favor, but since we're both adults, I feel so awkward about pricing a service my daughter normally provides. If I do accept, I think I'll just bring my laptop and go on the net after the child is asleep. Thoughts? I have to confirm or decline tomorrow.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 PM

173 posts, read 609,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Well my neighbor called me today to ask if my daughter would be available to babysit her grandD this Friday so they could watch a ballgame. My daughter has babysat for her a couple of times, however she is not free this Friday. My neighbor seemed really dejected and although given a name of another girl in the 'hood, she hesitated since the other girl was younger than my daughter. I offered to check my schedule to see if I could stand in for my daughter so she could watch her son's ball game. Should I expect to be paid? If she offers to pay, should I accept? If she offers to pay an asks me how much, what should I ask for? Now I'm not really too hip on watching a 2-year old from 6:30-10, but she sleeps at 8 pm, and I feel for her since she won't be able to go without a sitter. Truly, I feel like I'm doing her a favor, but since we're both adults, I feel so awkward about pricing a service my daughter normally provides. If I do accept, I think I'll just bring my laptop and go on the net after the child is asleep. Thoughts? I have to confirm or decline tomorrow.
Don't expect to be paid, She most probably will either want to pay you. Or be of help sometime in the future if you need it. How much depends on her living standards. If you go there, just don't go there expecting anything.

Just my two cents.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,489 times
I wouldn't charge her. It's a one-time thing and it's only for a few hours. If she offers to pay you, graciously decline. Just say something like "that's what neighbors are for. Maybe you can help me some time in the future".

Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,252 times
It is not clear from your post, - does your daughter usually get paid? For "providing services"? If yes, I would probably expect the same rate as you are substituting her.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:09 PM

758 posts, read 1,871,845 times
I would say it depends on how well you know her. My DD used to babysit for my DS's best friend and if she couldn't I would and didn't charge anything and didn't expect to get paid. I am not friends exactly with the mom but I knew her and was friendly with her because of our sons.

I would do it if you don't mind doing it and like some of the others I think if she offers to pay (which I think she probably would) great, if not then she may feel as if there is some favor she can do for you down the road. If you really don't want to do it, then don't.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
It is not clear from your post, - does your daughter usually get paid? For "providing services"? If yes, I would probably expect the same rate as you are substituting her.
Yes my daughter gets paid. She actually is very generous with her.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
I would say it depends on how well you know her. My DD used to babysit for my DS's best friend and if she couldn't I would and didn't charge anything and didn't expect to get paid. I am not friends exactly with the mom but I knew her and was friendly with her because of our sons.

I would do it if you don't mind doing it and like some of the others I think if she offers to pay (which I think she probably would) great, if not then she may feel as if there is some favor she can do for you down the road. If you really don't want to do it, then don't.
I really don't interact with her at all beyond my daughter babysitting for her. She's pleasant and we all pretty much get along on our street. She is at the end of our road so she is not the first one we approach to pick up our mail or water our plants when we're away. It's pretty much standard among our neighbors to ask this from each other. I've had a neighbor next to me do that for us a couple of times and I come back with a small present from the vacation. I don't foresee me asking her any favors in the future as there are neighbors closer to me physically and personally who I would ask first.

I'm leaning towards not doing it (paid or unpaid). Just too complicated after I've thought about it tonight.

Thanks to all who offered their thoughts.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,930,966 times
Your daughter gets paid. You do a neighborly favor.

Your daughter is learning about a job, managing expectations, career, and learning about earning money and the value it has. You already know these and understand the value of a good neighbor can far exceed the money a few hours can bring. She probably sees paying your daughter to babysit as part of *her* being a good neighbor to you, employing your daughter.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:12 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
I agree. I would have no problem paying a neighbor child, or allowing my daughter to be paid, but I'd feel funny giving or taking money from an adult. Don't expect anything. Who knows, maybe you'll get a dozen cookies or something (I'm a big baker).

One word of caution: if you babysit for free, but your daughter charges a fee, guess who some people would rather call to babysit? You said this naighbor is generous, though, so you probably won't have a problem with that.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,488 times
I sometimes substitute for a neighbor's regular babysitter (my kids aren't her reg sitter tho - too young) but although she offers to be paid, I always decline. It's nice to know that if I ever need a favor though, I'll know just who to call without feeling like I'm imposing.

Years ago, while living on base and pregnant with #2, I needed a sitter for a 4 hour doctor appointment. My regular sitter had just moved away (she ran a daycare from her home, with 2 open "drop in" spots). One day at the park, I was explaining how I was having a tough time finding another "drop in" sitter that didn't have a minimum number of days (I only needed like 1 to 2 a month, if even while dh's ship was out to sea) to a neighbor. She made a comment about how she missed her kids being that little, and that she'd love to watch him (age 2) for me anytime. She made more comments about how she always had a hard time when her kids were little, yadayadayada. It never occurred to me that she wanted to be paid. She never said a word. She was really sweet when I picked him up, I had picked up a scented candle for her as a thank you gift.

She never spoke to me again, or even returned a wave. She told other neighbors that I "stiffed her". The candle & holder were $30. I had paid the regular sitter $5/hour.

Either way, if you do expect to be paid in cash, please be clear to her upfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting