Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:39 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times

Advertisements

Actually at my daughter's school, they already have a rule in place of "no cupcakes or food for birthdays". There are other ways to celebrate. For example, bring in your child's favorite picture book to read, make a birthday crown, etc. I totally don't think it's unreasonable not to have cupcakes for birthdays. I also don't think it's unreasonable to say "no juice for snack". Not only is it unhealthy, if it spills it's a nightmare to clean up. Obviously I can't control lunches, but snack in my classroom, yes I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
how do you keep apples from turning brown after they are cut? I tried a bit of lemon juice but the kids refused to eat them and I don't blame them. The prepackaged cut apples are too expensive and they put some chemicals on them too.
I use a fresh-squeezed lemon and rub the cut part of the lemon on the cut part of the apple. My kids like this... I've tried using the store bought prepackaged lemon juice but it was too tart or bitter and nobody liked it. I use Meyer lemons - that might be the difference? Meyer lemons taste more like lemonade... they are so good my kids would eat them like oranges if I'd let them. (I don't... because the dentists says eating lemons like that is really bad for the enamel on their teeth!)

Old 12-09-2009, 12:33 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Actually at my daughter's school, they already have a rule in place of "no cupcakes or food for birthdays". There are other ways to celebrate. For example, bring in your child's favorite picture book to read, make a birthday crown, etc. I totally don't think it's unreasonable not to have cupcakes for birthdays. I also don't think it's unreasonable to say "no juice for snack". Not only is it unhealthy, if it spills it's a nightmare to clean up. Obviously I can't control lunches, but snack in my classroom, yes I can.
When you mentioned spills it reminded me of something that happened this year at our school. One of the PTC moms tried doing the TerraCycle fundraiser. It turned out to be a bad idea. Not only did it encourage kids to drink more capri sun and sugary drinks and therefor less water... but it made a huge sticky and gross mess! Fruit flies were attracted to empty drink pouches and mold formed quicker than they anticipated and also in one of the garbage cans where they were collecting the drinks the leftover juice had dripped out down to the bottom and actually EATEN THROUGH the can and then begun to eat the varnish off the floor of the cafeteria! The groundskeeper was so upset... she had to completely sand-down and redo the floor in that spot. And this is what the kids are encouraged to drink... And in three months of participating in the program they earned a whopping twenty bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting