Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
That would be ONE of the vast other options available. Not one of my top ten that'd I pick but it is an option.

Don't think they were cruel. Don't think it was necessary either.
The only thing that parents do that's "necessary" is give food, water, clothing, and shelter but many parents choose to do a whole lot more for their kids than is necessary, like buying Christmas presents in the first place, wrapping them, baking birthday cakes, taking family vacations and so on.

A little fun and magic in a child's life might not be "necessary" but that's what parents often do for their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 07:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
please see thread "Had the santa talk this morning-what I said"

Old 12-21-2009, 09:11 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The only thing that parents do that's "necessary" is give food, water, clothing, and shelter but many parents choose to do a whole lot more for their kids than is necessary, like buying Christmas presents in the first place, wrapping them, baking birthday cakes, taking family vacations and so on.

A little fun and magic in a child's life might not be "necessary" but that's what parents often do for their children.

Well, too many parents put their kids in a trash bag and throw them in the dumpster so food, water, clothing and shelter aren't necessary either.

Necessities only come from desires. The more desires you have the more things are necessary to achieve those desires.

If you want the kid to live it is necessary to give it food and water. Clothing and shelter are nice as well-but not necessary-or they can give it to someone who will provide those things.

But all this has very little to do with lying to your kid about Santa.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

Well, too many parents put their kids in a trash bag and throw them in the dumpster so food, water, clothing and shelter aren't necessary either.

Necessities only come from desires. The more desires you have the more things are necessary to achieve those desires.

If you want the kid to live it is necessary to give it food and water. Clothing and shelter are nice as well-but not necessary-or they can give it to someone who will provide those things.

But all this has very little to do with lying to your kid about Santa.

Why don't you post your concerns in the P&OC forum or at the very least, start a new thread stating exactly your thoughts? You might get the responses/debate you are hoping for.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:58 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
As a chemist, I would say to your son that his rational mind limits him.

Many of the great thinkers of our modern age were able to propose things that did not match with the rational thought of their own times [such as quantum mechanics, the concept of curved space and black holes] ........because they could imagine beyond those boundaries.

So - kick off his shoes, get a glass of wine and enjoy some imagination. Much too old for being so young.

There is no life worth living if there are no deep mysteries to marvel at.

I remember feeling like I had been let in on some great secret when I learned of the non physical reality of santa, and then the game was to keep it going with the younger kids in my family. It was kind of a rite of passage. Nothing negative there...........and just as I remember where I was when JFK and MLK and John Lennon were shot I remember exactly when the realization dawned on my in a lively first grade conversation with my peers at our table. Of course I still "pretended" that year but then asked some very pointed questions at which point my mother confirmed for me.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:19 PM

853 posts, read 4,037,365 times
Here's the reverse.....

I was not raised to believe in Santa Claus (I was that six year old that told all your six year olds there is no Santa!) and sometimes I think it would have been fun to be raised the same as the kids in my neighborhood (to believe in Santa).

And no, I am not upset with my parents about it, however, I do pretend there is a Santa with my own kids (and when they ask I still pretend, however, I try to let them know they might be right.....will have to think about this one although I think they know already!).

Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Some of you people are absurd, you'll take your kids to Harry Potter movies, Star Wars, Jurassic Park and then preach on and on and on about the criminality of Santa and Christmas presents.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:59 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
obviously a very hot topic. I was just wondering if any adults felt betrayed by the santa myth. apparently some have and make the choice not to perpetuate it. That's all I wanted to know.
I was raised with Santa, and I do not wish to perpetuate the myth with my children. I don't like the idea of lying to them, and I don't like for my parents to lie to me. It's one thing to simplify ideas to a level children can understand, or to play pretend, and it's another to lie. And I do see Santa as a lie because the adults telling the lie do not believe it themselves. I do think that the realization that Santa isn't real can cause certain children, like myself and your son, to then begin to question other things that adults insist are real without proof, including religion, though I wonder how many connect the two.

We do talk about Santa with our kids at Christmas time, but I don't make a big deal out of it. We also talk about Jesus at Christmas time even though I'm not a Christian. I tell them that these are the stories about Christmas, which is different than telling them that these are true stories. We also celebrate the Solstice and talk about that a long time ago people believed that the sun was dying or leaving them and they celebrated the solstice when they believed the sun was coming back to them or was reborn. We don't have to say that the sun really is dying any more or less than we have to say that Santa really comes down the chimney or that Jesus was really the son of God. For my 3 year old, it's enough to simplify and say that we celebrate these holidays like birthdays - Solstice is like the birthday of the sun, Christmas is the birthday of Jesus, New Year is the birthday of the year, and Tu B'Shevat is the birthday of the trees. Santa hardly comes into it actually.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:44 PM

600 posts, read 1,074,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
So Michael is really into science and especially physics. He is in Cambridge Uk working on his phD. I sent him the fun video from Portable north pole and it started a dialogue about the myth of Santa.

He of course is an avowed atheist too.

he is convinced telling kids the lie about SAnta is child cruelty and only leads kids to eventually not trust adult as they will lie. Now he is coming around to feeling I did him a service by teaching him to examine everything and never take anything on face value. a hard won lesson by being lied to about Santa.

I suggested he lighten up and let his little sisters (age 7) enjoy the fun of the season and how much I resented my own father not letting me believe in anything fun either.

So is anybody else feeling betrayed by their parents because they "lied" about Santa or is my son just weird?
You son sounds like a self-righteous d-bag. You must be proud.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I would ditch your son as depressing if I knew him.Bet he thinks that kids with heroes are abused too;must have had a sad childhood or mental problems as a adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting