Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:21 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

What is wrong with believing in 'the magic of Christmas?'

I think a lot of adults hate the concept of Santa because they no longer have that little kid happy feeling we get on our birthdays and special holidays. They are bitter they do not feel it.

What is that quote, "Keep Christmas in your heart all year?"

What is wrong with introducing magic/creativity to your child...Santa, the Easter Bunny, Tooth fairy, elves, whatever...

What are we--robots?

If this is an authentic thread, well, your son is a scientist (and atheist) so of course he would not like 'fantasy.'

My son is 11 and I would have him keep the 'idea' of Christmas forever, despite he is also a 'future scientist.' My husband dislikes Christmas (mainly because it is NOT like when you are a kid). I will not allow him to sour our son. I joke with my son you "MUST" believe in Santa...

I feel sorry for people who hate 'fantasy' and cannot dream...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:15 PM

144 posts, read 597,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
So Michael is really into science and especially physics. He is in Cambridge Uk working on his phD. I sent him the fun video from Portable north pole and it started a dialogue about the myth of Santa.

He of course is an avowed atheist too.

he is convinced telling kids the lie about SAnta is child cruelty and only leads kids to eventually not trust adult as they will lie. Now he is coming around to feeling I did him a service by teaching him to examine everything and never take anything on face value. a hard won lesson by being lied to about Santa.

I suggested he lighten up and let his little sisters (age 7) enjoy the fun of the season and how much I resented my own father not letting me believe in anything fun either.

So is anybody else feeling betrayed by their parents because they "lied" about Santa or is my son just weird?
Your son is going over the top and should calm down. I am actually experiencing something similar in an opposite type of way. I am 30 but my parents adopted two brothers a few years ago, they are 6 and 7 now and while my brother and I gew up with santa, the easter bunny, and hallowen now my mothers has gone to the extreme and refuses to let the little boys participate in any of that childhood stuff. When I asked her why she was taking away their childhood she told me that same thing your son said, that letting a child believe in santa would lead to distrust and a feeling of being lied to as the child got older.

Its all a load of crap, as long as you raise a well adjusted child when they get older they can tell the difference between a lie and childhood fantasy/ traditions/ harmless make-believe.

Last edited by mekia02; 12-28-2009 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-29-2009, 11:48 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,342 times
Enough of Santa and all of that allowed me to learn how to not take things at face value.

So.. Santa is real !

Old 12-31-2009, 02:56 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
I'd say your son has issues and it has nothing to do with santa!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Your son is entitled to his opinion, that is how he feels about the 'Santa' thing. Few people would agree with him, but I think no one is in a place to judge his choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting