Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:31 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

2 daughters aged 7 and they had been asking if santa was real, why so many different santas all over the place and general question which I had been kinda fibbing thru but finally decided to have The Talk this morning.

What I said:

There is alot of unhappiness in this world, especially when you get to be a grown up and parents want to help their children have as much time as possible for fun and imagination and fantasy. Many years ago there was a man named St. Nicholas who did bring joy to little children with food and presents and over time he became Santa Clause.
If you believe he is real in your heart, then he is and you can continue to have fun with that story--just like Mama does. But I'm not gonna lie to you and you are old enough to know some things are just for fun.

The real meaning of Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus and to learn about sharing and not being selfish and that is what we want you to remember.

Wouldn't it be boring if there was no fun with our imaginations? Like Mama who sees elephants in pink tutus dancing in our woods right outside our window? Or deer who tiptoe into our garden at night with flashlights to eat our garden? When you dressed up as Princesses for halloween you knew you weren't really a princess but didn't we all have fun pretending?
That is what Santa Claus is all about.
---------------
Then I turned around to get the laundry and one said "I hope Santa brings the elephants new dark blue tutus for Christmas cause light colors show so much dirt".

I knew I had gotten the correct message across.

So how do you think I did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 06:33 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
Kudzu - well done. I may have to borrow your explanation. I really like it.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:37 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,260 times
Wonderful. Your girls are very lucky.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:53 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Old 12-21-2009, 07:35 AM

thanks- i bow as deeping as Barack did to the Japanese Emperor!!!!!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:58 AM

I sent this post to all my kids. this is response from aforementioned 28 year old physics instructor:

That's very touching. Great job. You're a great mother.

On a side note, I disagree with the statement "The real meaning of Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus" . I would have said:

"The real meaning of Christmas is to celebrate and be thankful of those we love."

Many secularists celebrate Christmas! Like me!

Love you,
Michael

Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
2 daughters aged 7 and they had been asking if santa was real, why so many different santas all over the place and general question which I had been kinda fibbing thru but finally decided to have The Talk this morning.

What I said:

There is alot of unhappiness in this world, especially when you get to be a grown up and parents want to help their children have as much time as possible for fun and imagination and fantasy. Many years ago there was a man named St. Nicholas who did bring joy to little children with food and presents and over time he became Santa Clause.
If you believe he is real in your heart, then he is and you can continue to have fun with that story--just like Mama does. But I'm not gonna lie to you and you are old enough to know some things are just for fun.

The real meaning of Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus and to learn about sharing and not being selfish and that is what we want you to remember.

Wouldn't it be boring if there was no fun with our imaginations? Like Mama who sees elephants in pink tutus dancing in our woods right outside our window? Or deer who tiptoe into our garden at night with flashlights to eat our garden? When you dressed up as Princesses for halloween you knew you weren't really a princess but didn't we all have fun pretending?
That is what Santa Claus is all about.
---------------
Then I turned around to get the laundry and one said "I hope Santa brings the elephants new dark blue tutus for Christmas cause light colors show so much dirt".

I knew I had gotten the correct message across.

So how do you think I did?
GREAT

Old 12-21-2009, 08:11 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Wonderful...

Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Awesome--I have tears reading it! Thanks for sharing so we can all borrow your approach when our time comes!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:07 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,610 times
What an awesome explanation. Very well done!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting