Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 AM

520 posts, read 3,919,549 times

Advertisements

So we're trying to cut back on the amount of juice we give both our son and daughter. We usually water down their juice so it still has some flavor to it.

Is there an alternative to juice for kids to drink?
They drink milk and water but it is a struggle to do so.

What else can kids drink that will have some "flavor" to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 11:34 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I always have given my kids 100% apple juice. I know it still has a lot of natural sugar, but I figured it was better than "juice drinks" that add sugar. I also figured natural sugar was better than "low sugar" drinks that add chemicals. I don't know. That's just what made sense to me.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:43 AM

484 posts, read 1,583,892 times
We give our children juice that has natural sugar (big difference between that, and artificial sugar). I know that juice like Juicy Juice has low sugar (and makes some kinds with no sugar) but we primarily make fresh squeezed juice (there's some awesome recipes here: Low-Sugar Drinks for Kids | Food | Disney Family.com) or give them 100% orange juice (has about half the amount of sugar as other juices).

We also give our kids Honest Tea Organics drinks (they come in flavors like berry lemonade, grape juice, etc) and have very low sugar. Honest Beverages

Old 01-02-2010, 11:44 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Your kids might like some of the flavored seltzer waters or even just plain club soda (not to be confused with tonic water!). They have a nice, refreshing taste without all the sugar.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:07 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Our kids were never given juice. They are plain water and milk fiends! I'm sorry I have no idea how to wean them of it. It is rarely offered at our house now, only when we have a party or something...

I like the bubbly water with flavoring idea that springfieldva gave.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:33 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,009 times
You could buy a juice extractor and juice your own fresh natural sugar juice with strawberries, apples ect...... nothing more fresh and natural then that.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
So we're trying to cut back on the amount of juice we give both our son and daughter. We usually water down their juice so it still has some flavor to it.
Watering down 100% natural juice with no added sugars is the best alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Is there an alternative to juice for kids to drink?
They drink milk and water but it is a struggle to do so.
For water, try squeezing fresh fruit slices into the water. Let them squeeze it themselves so it feels fun for them.

For milk, try flavoring it with sugar free Instant Breakfast mix in chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry. Not as much as the lable says---just enough to give some flavor.

If they are drinking whole milk, it might be too thick and rich for them. Try 2% or 1%.

Have you ever considered a milk alternative like rice milk or almond milk? There are lots of other milk alternatives---even coconut milk.

I've only tried rice milk. It has a fresh, thin, vanilla flavor to it.

All milk alternatives are vitamin enriched just like normal milk so you're not giving up nutritian by trying alternatives.

I wouldn't give them seltzer or club soda. It's best to say away from carbonated drinks as long as possible. But it's a good alternative to soda when they're older.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:14 PM

615 posts, read 1,692,932 times
I would just keep watering it down until they stop complaining about it. Nothing beats plain milk and water health wise. If it isn't available they won't complain and unless they are sick they won't dehydrate themselves.

Or as other people have mentioned, just add a splash of fruit juice or pieces of fruit.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:53 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wouldn't give them seltzer or club soda. It's best to say away from carbonated drinks as long as possible. But it's a good alternative to soda when they're older.
Why? My son has been drinking seltzer water since he was in preschool.

He also likes putting a lemon or lime wedge in his plain water (no bubbles).

Old 01-02-2010, 02:18 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
If you are looking to quench their thirst, give them plain old water. There is not a lot of benefit to drinking even real juice, unless you are making it yourself and leaving the majority of pulp in it, much less juice that has been watered down. I would think twice about teaching the idea that plain water isn't good enough on it's own- that it has to have some kind of flavor in it in order to drink it- the result is usually a need for flavored (only) drinks, whether it be with added sugars or added artificial sweeteners (even more scary to me than sugar!), and the wedges of citrus fruit one might also add to water are actually higher in tooth-decaying acids than most soft drinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting