Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM

160 posts, read 321,472 times

Advertisements

HELLO EVERYONE...
I was sitting here thinking back to when I was a younger woman. I was remembering how I was so close with my mother. Growing up I talked with my mother everyday, I called her or she called me a few times a day.
In the morning it was a good morning how was your night, afternoon was what are you going to do for lunch, then it was what's for dinner, then what are you watching on tv and then good night talk to you tomorrow. There was rarely a day that we didn't talk 4-5 times. Even when we fought hardly a day would go by before I would call her or she me.

Have times changed for every mother or just me??

I have three daughters, 25, 21 and 19 years old. My oldest daughter works full time and has a young son, my 21 year old works full time and my baby is in college. So yup they are all busy with their own lives. I understand, I get it!!

My oldest daughter calls me every other Wednesday or Thursday, if I forget to call her, because I pick my grandson up on Fridays, so she calls to check and make sure we are all set. Once in a while we talk a little longer but basically the conversations are based on what is happening with my granson.
My middle daughter, calls...well...never and neither does my younger one.

So a while ago, I heard them talking about Facebook. "AHA" I thought "that's what I"ll DO!!" so I got a facebook page. It was great at first. I got to read all about their lives, I saw their friends and read what they were up to, I got to see pictures and make comments. At FIRST! Then I couldn't see much of anything anymore, my daughter later told me that she blocked me from seeing her status'. Oh Well, that didn't stop me cuz I still had my other 2 daughters and I could still see picture of my grandson. (NO ONE takes REGULAR pictures anymore, you have to "check them out online") Eventually, I felt IGNORED and INVISIBLE!! They just didn't reply or answer me, except for my middle daughter, she usually did. SO I said good bye face book.

I have tried to talk to my girls. They just keep telling me I am over reacting and that they are just busy. I have talked to other people and they say "it is just the kids these days" I don't know, So Tell me...

How oten do you hear from your kids???
IS it just kids these days? So busy with work and friends they can't be bothered with good ol' mom??

thanks, I can't wait to hear!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Well, your kids are a bit older than mine....I have a 19 y.o. who is away at school. I hear from her most days. She'll call or text me. I will call my own mom every couple of days also - just depends on what is going on.....

Old 01-18-2010, 04:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,690,445 times
A lot is mentioned about how they don't call you. Have you tried calling them?

Maybe it is generational. My mom and grandma talked daily on the phone. I will call my mom maybe once a week. If she wants to talk more, I'll take her calls--I don't screen her or anything, but it is a two way street.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:57 PM

917 posts, read 2,949,055 times
Well, I'm a daughter, and I talked to my parents maybe once a month in college, and that was usually to make plans to come home at the semester break. I didn't start regularly speaking to my mother (once a weekish) until I was in graduate school in another country, and that was only because I was homesick.

Be glad your daughters are busy and have lives. Would you be happy if they were grown women sitting at home with no jobs or lives?

I'm guessing you're roughly my mother's age since I'm the same age as your oldest daughter, and I know that when she was my age, people just didn't go far away from home so you stayed close with your family. I live on the other side of the country from my mother and used to live on another continent, so with time differences, sometimes constant communication is not possible.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
A lot is mentioned about how they don't call you. Have you tried calling them?

Maybe it is generational. My mom and grandma talked daily on the phone. I will call my mom maybe once a week. If she wants to talk more, I'll take her calls--I don't screen her or anything, but it is a two way street.
yup I do call them. I usually get the voice mail. I don't leave messages cuz they don't listen to them. They will call back, it is just a matter of time.
I would happily settle for once a week. I just would like some contact. I don't even care how, email, text me, call, whatever you can do.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
Well, I'm a daughter, and I talked to my parents maybe once a month in college, and that was usually to make plans to come home at the semester break. I didn't start regularly speaking to my mother (once a weekish) until I was in graduate school in another country, and that was only because I was homesick.

Be glad your daughters are busy and have lives. Would you be happy if they were grown women sitting at home with no jobs or lives?

I'm guessing you're roughly my mother's age since I'm the same age as your oldest daughter, and I know that when she was my age, people just didn't go far away from home so you stayed close with your family. I live on the other side of the country from my mother and used to live on another continent, so with time differences, sometimes constant communication is not possible.
I didn't mean I want my girls to stay home and do nothing OTHER then talk to me. sorry for the misunderstanding. I just want to know they are alive, I'd like to be involved in their lives in some way.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
My kids are 23 and almost 25. They check in at least once a week. They will call more often as the need arises - needing a recipe, relaying some exciting news, etc.
We also text, email and Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorrieMA View Post
Growing up I talked with my mother everyday, I called her or she called me a few times a day.
In the morning it was a good morning how was your night, afternoon was what are you going to do for lunch, then it was what's for dinner, then what are you watching on tv and then good night talk to you tomorrow. There was rarely a day that we didn't talk 4-5 times.
Gosh... I can't imagine talking with ANY family member that often and about such trivia.
I talk to MY mom at least once a week.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:06 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I talk to my 23 yr old daughter who is at college a couple times a week either on the phone or via text message. My 19 yr old son lives at home.

I also have a Facebook because my kids wanted me to get one, but they are the only ones who ever post anything on it and I'd rather communicate verbally.

As an aside, my daughter was home this weekend but left today to attend a meeting that was to take place this evening. She used gmail to invite people who responded on Facebook or their schools online site. One didn't respond at all so someone else sent another invite for the same meeting, using some Google application but stated a different time which totally confused everyone. That was followed by a bunch of text messages back and forth, misunderstandings, miscommunications, and was generally a huge pain. I asked her why she didn't just call and speak to the 5 people in person for 2 minutes to straighten things out and she said nobody talks on the phone anymore. LOL!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My kids are 23 and almost 25. They check in at least once a week. They will call more often as the need arises - needing a recipe, relaying some exciting news, etc.
We also text, email and Facebook.

Gosh... I can't imagine talking with ANY family member that often and about such trivia.
I talk to MY mom at least once a week.
You will when your mom is sick...and you should now before she gets sick!! I am soooo happy that I have those chats and "such TRIVIA" now!!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:34 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,931 times
I talk to my mother everyday!!!! My sisters whom are 30 and 22 ALSO talk to my mother EVERY day...

Sometimes I must admit I talk to her more then once a day....

So sorry you are in this predicament. I hope when my children grow up they will call me as often as I call my mom.
Time will tell..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting