Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Some kids are not ready to potty train fully till 4 or after. Damn it people, get with it. Stop expecting every kid to just conform to your 'stupid schedules' and 'agendas.'

My son was 4 before he was full potty trained.

As for the child in question here....
It's not tragic. If he can't go to THAT preschool find another.

Take the pressure off the kids, please. Some kids are ready at 2 some not till older.

Not everyone is a 'textbook' case.
I quoted this because it bears repeating.

ALL KIDS ARE DIFFERENT. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 11:39 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,209 times
My daughter was potty trained by 2 years old My Son turned three and he could care less about getting potty trained...All Day long he would be in underwear not diaper I had a baby potty on the first floor and of course the bathroom on the second with the kid seat attached as soon as I gave him something to drink i would start asking him do you have to go potty and I kept telling him when you have to go potty go here or there and after a couple of days he got it. Its takes time and patience good luck.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
told her that he wasn't ready but he must be trained by August to go to preschool- he'll be 3 3/4 by then- surely by then he will be trained- Thanks
my son was to start preschool a week before his 3rd b-day and did not make the potty training deadline. We missed a whole year of preschool because he wasn't interested. A few weeks after school started, he decided he was ready and trained fairly quickly. I believe that it can not be forced. It is all up to the child.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Just wait until he's ready. Who knows - it may be four! But I think if possible, just wait until they are ready. JMHO. Good luck!
That's what I had to do with my son and daughter. Both were just shy of their 4th birthdays when they finally (!!) trained.

I bribed my son with a Christmas gift of Batman underwear (his idol at the time) and told him not to pee on Batman lol. To my amazement, he completely trained once they were put on him, after 18 mos of trying to train him.

My daughter had gotten used to Pull-Ups during her 3rd year of life...and when we were about to embark on an 1800-mile road trip, we told her she could either go in the potty, or we would revert her back to diapers. I guess she hated the diapers, because she trained within 3 days. We took Pull-Ups with us for overnights, but she stayed dry.

Only recently did my mother inform me that I, too, had not trained until close to my own 4th birthday.

For me, there was nothing worse than enduring the constant tales by bragging parents of how they had "trained" their kids before one year of age (when, in reality, they simply put the kid on the pot immediately after meals--all "successes" on the pot were initiated by the parent, not the child).

Old 06-29-2011, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,741 times
thanks , i have a 2/3 year old boys in my class and they will not potty , but all my girls in the class will , but as stated before if a child's not ready boy or girl no matter how old they just want go til they are ready and the girl auntie ask me how long did it take her niece for me to potty train and she ant compare her son and her niece , why she going and he's not duh because he's not ready

Old 06-29-2011, 11:17 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,646 times
Quote:
I am a preschool teacher and one of my former students(I had him last Year) will not potty train. I saw his mom yesterday-she has tried hot wheels , candy etc -her first one was a girl and trained at 2 years 2 months- she said he does not care- any suggestions-I told her it may be closer to 3 1/2- Help my friend please!!
As a pre-k teacher you should know that when it comes to potty training NO child is text book. You should also know that potty training also has alot to do with the individual child...
1. Is the child a young 3?
2. What is his temperament?
3. Is the process negative?

You also know when a child is "physically" ready to potty train...i.e. when their liquid consumption is normal yet they are learning bladder control and have a dry diaper for at least 2-3 hours....

side note: It has been my experience that girls do potty train faster however I will state...if there are no cognitive delays, disorders ect.."No child gpoes to college in a diaper"
Potty training is a very private issue..usually the issue is lack of interest and a power and control.

When I co-potty trained at my center I would take the child and sit them down on the potty every 15-20 minutes usually after any liquid and food intake..I provided baskets on the side with books to look at to make it inviting...also providing a sticker just for sitting on the potty...Sometimes they go because they frequent the potty in 15-20 m,inute intervals and of course you make a huge ordeal over it...

Old 06-30-2011, 12:58 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
As a former preschool teacher I am surprised you are even questioning this. Boys simply take longer for the most part. Sometimes girls, as stated by others it just depends on the kid. My son was 3 1/2. My son's ped doc wasn't concerned and told me not to be as well. I actually took my son to work with me (one of the perks of the job) and I would say, "see how all the other kids go on the potty?" He would say yep and continuing playing. He could careless. It was frustrating. Then something clicked around 3 1/2. He was ready. There seems to be so much hype for preschool now. People act like if their kid doesn't start right away they will be completely behind or something. Not true. When the kid is ready, he is ready.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:53 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
what's with sending kids to school at 3 or 4.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 AM

244 posts, read 299,113 times
Quote:
I am a preschool teacher and one of my former students(I had him last Year) will not potty train. I saw his mom yesterday-she has tried hot wheels , candy etc -her first one was a girl and trained at 2 years 2 months- she said he does not care- any suggestions-I told her it may be closer to 3 1/2- Help my friend please!!
I have the ultimate plan of action for any parent. It works with anyone within a week - some in a day.

Let the child go commando. When they feel their waste running down their leg, you better believe they have a change of heart. You only need be careful about how you react to their reaction. Shame is not a good route. It should be more matter-of-fact, "That is why we use the toilet, (insert name). Could you imagine what this house would be like if we all went wherever and whenever we had to? Let's get you cleaned up."

And if they want to stew in their mess, let them. Remember who is in charge and who is supposed to have the answers.

And yes, the furniture can take a beating, but the odds say it will only happen once or twice. And besides, what are you doing with Corinthian leather couches with a toddler running around?

Oh, I should say that this works best only after talking about using the toilet in the first place. This isn't a first-plan-of-action. There is a great book called, "Everybody (Everyone? - been a while) Poops." It's a great introduction into teaching a child what to do. Education must precede action, and there should be follow up.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:49 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
what's with sending kids to school at 3 or 4.
It is becoming more common. I think its because so many children attend daycare. The parents and system try to make the transition to preschool earlier. Kindergarten in some places allow children to start at 4 as long as they turn 5 before the end of December that same year. My son was born in September so he had that opportunity. I didn't feel he was ready but when he did his testing, the district told me he was (probably because I took him to work with me and he was exposed earlier to academics). He excelled in Kindergarten and was at the top of his class. This swashed my concerns. Then first grade rolled around which is a completely different schedule and environment and he wasn't doing well. He simply was too immature for that type of structure. He still wanted to hang out and play, not sit and do serious work. It was a rough year. I should have listened to my gut the year before and had him start kindergarten at 5 going on 6. We ended up moving and I enrolled my son back into 1st grade instead of 2nd at his new school. So my thoughts are although you can push kids academically, they still need that maturity to go with it. I dont think all kids are ready for preschool at age 3 and that goes for regular school at 4. Of course potty training is the same thing. Some kids are ready and some aren't. I found parents to be extremely competitive at this age. "Little Suzie was potty trained at 2!" then that leaves other parents feeling their kids are behind somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting