Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Adults deserve to be shown respect by children.

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think it is more a regional cultural thing but I love it. Kids need to understand that they are not equals to the adults in their lives and learn how to show respect. Old fashioned, probably. But, no one ever suffered, was ever injured or had their feelings hurt because someone used good manners. Quite frankly the world has too little politeness and I find the "Southern" address of Miss or Mr. by "youngsters" refreshing.

Why are children not "equals" to adults?

Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 AM

550 posts, read 1,215,038 times
In swedish language we call school teachers "miss" or their first name and the royal family for example "his magesty king carl the 16th gustaf"
Doctors within medicine get to eb called doctors while doctors of science usually get called by their first name unless it's some kind of ceremony like the Nobel dinner. Same goes for professors...

In the military people call eachother rank+last name

otherwise it's pretty much only first name basis, have been since around the 1950's

So maybie the english language is about to go through the same process where titles will dissapear in favor of first names.

Personally I'd feel very wierd calling comebody "herr"(mr) or "fru"(mrs) and then last name... It would be like marking that I wish to be at a very formal distance from them and keep it that way...

Still called my coaches in american football "coach" but then again we comunicated in english since they were american...

Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,491 times
Children are not equals to adults because they are kids and God has given us authority over them. They don`t have adult responsibilities(the majority of them don`t) nor can they think like an adult. We are the ones that train them to grow up to be responsible adults. However, they do deserve to be respected and loved but that doesn`t mean that you treat them as equals.If you start treating them as equals then they have no reason to listen to you as a parent.God has put this authority structure in place and when we start messing with it then we start to have all kinds of problems. We have authority figures that we have to obey.Such as the police, the government, etc. We are equals as far as that we are all human beings but not equals in authority.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Having lived in the south most of my life until a few months ago, I grew accustomed to children addressing me as, "Miss Betsy". My children address adults that aren't their children as Miss or Mr. so and so. They also say maam and sir...I'm wondering if this is a cultural or regional thing, because my neighbors' kids call me by my first name, same with my husband.
Miss is definitely a regional thing. It's definitely southern to address a married women as Miss.

The only place I know where children call any woman "Miss with a first name" is daycare centers.

Quote:
How do your children address adults....
My children address adults differently according to their relationship with the adults. If they are close to the adults, they address them by their fist name. If they aren't close to the adults, they call them Mr. or Mrs. with the last name. They also know when to use maam and sir when appropriate, but it's not the type of formality that is required in all situations. My husband and I most certainly don't expect our children to call us maam or sir.

Quote:
....or how do you prefer to be addressed?
My children's friends call me by my first name and some who call me Mrs. and my last name. I really don't care what they call me. I just find it funny that they call me by a last name that isn't really my last name. Since we have three different last names in our household, my husband also gets called Mr. and the wrong last name very often. Even adults often get our last names wrong. We don't care. We never correct anyone for using the wrong last name. Children call us whatever they want and we are appreciative that they even say hello or want to talk to us.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Children are not equals to adults because they are kids and God has given us authority over them. They don`t have adult responsibilities(the majority of them don`t) nor can they think like an adult. We are the ones that train them to grow up to be responsible adults. However, they do deserve to be respected and loved but that doesn`t mean that you treat them as equals.If you start treating them as equals then they have no reason to listen to you as a parent.God has put this authority structure in place and when we start messing with it then we start to have all kinds of problems. We have authority figures that we have to obey.Such as the police, the government, etc. We are equals as far as that we are all human beings but not equals in authority.
So, what happens when your children grow up and become adults and take on adult responsibilities and are now thinking like adults? Do they then become an equal? Or how about if they end up with a job that gives them more authority over you? (i.e. a police officer or work for the government) Do you then call them Mr., Miss or Mrs. and sir and ma'am?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
I prefer to be addressed as Mrs. _____ by children and teens. I used to feel differently before I had children, but no longer. I think the value of using surnames falls as much to the adult as to the child, especially in a culture that encourages adults to behave as perpetual adolescents. Being addressed as Mrs. is a reminder that I am an adult and should conduct myself as one.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 02-04-2010 at 10:43 AM..

Old 02-04-2010, 10:33 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,491 times
Wyoquilter, I wasn`t talking about ADULT children. When they become adults it`s OBVIOUS that they are not under their parents authority anymore. I guess you didn`t get what I was trying to say.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:37 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
So, what happens when your children grow up and become adults and take on adult responsibilities and are now thinking like adults? Do they then become an equal? Or how about if they end up with a job that gives them more authority over you? (i.e. a police officer or work for the government) Do you then call them Mr., Miss or Mrs. and sir and ma'am?
I know quite a few adults who use the term Ma'am and Sir when speaking to their parents, although I do not. I do use the terms when addressing a law enforcement officer. Personally, I would never refer to my parents by their first names. That would be weird.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I do use the terms when addressing a law enforcement officer.
My children have been told to not be 'smart mouthed' by teachers and police officers they've called sir and maam.

I'm not joking. The same happened to me when I was growing up.

I was taught to teach people in authority who I didn't have a close relationship with maam and sir. And I often told to not be 'smart mouthed.'

I don't know why I was surprised when my own children came home saying it happened to them.

This very well might be a regional thing. My parents weren't from this area. It's very rare to hear anyone say maam or sir.

But I can't understand why teachers or police officers would find it offensive---regional or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting