Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't understand the controversy here. Praising the action of the Duggar boys in no way takes away from the heroic efforts of the many other good people who are also out there saving lives each day (or who are prepared to do so). Should people who are famous NOT be appreciated just because of who they are? I'd certainly rather read about members of the Duggar family saving someone's life rather than reading about Mel Gibson or Paris Hilton driving drunk. If some celebrity power can remind people of the importance of getting CPR training (I admit, mine is out of date), for example, then all the more reason to highlight the story.

And from the Duggar-specific viewpoint, I agree that it's nice to know that they're volunteer fire fighters. I don't agree with many of their viewpoints on things, but I very much appreciate that they are active and contributing members of the community at large. That is worthy of respect.

I totally and completely agree.

Some people have a case of "sour grapes" on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:38 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
How many on this thread have recently completed CPR training or updated their training? How many know proper CPR for infants?

With some of these remarks, hope some never need the help of a stranger....as they say, karma is b.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Surely people who make fun of the Duggers for being CPR certified and able to actually help an accident victim (not just hold their hand til help comes) are CPR certified themselves??? There would be no excuse for making fun of them otherwise!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I agree. There is just NO EXCUSE for people being so negative about this family
There are millions of people CPR certified and they don't go around giving interviews or being sought for interviews every time they do their jobs. They don't get slapped on the back by an adoring public when they do their jobs.

Because they are Duggars doesn't make them more special than people who act every day to save people.

There are 6 kids in our local high school who leave their classes to answer calls as volunteer firefighters.

The Duggars didn't do anything more than what should have been expected of them.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:43 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
So let's just STOP with the "good news" anyway....who needs it? Everyone should just be expected to do it so why all the celebrating over what should be normal behavior? Totally inappropriate - especially if you find their lifestyle disagreeable. Only people who you AGREE with can do good. Everyone else has NO REDEEMING QUALITIES WHATSOEVER. So stop being happy about stuff. NOW.

<end sarcastic rant>

Last edited by maciesmom; 02-09-2010 at 07:51 AM..

Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
There are millions of people CPR certified and they don't go around giving interviews or being sought for interviews every time they do their jobs. They don't get slapped on the back by an adoring public when they do their jobs.

Because they are Duggars doesn't make them more special than people who act every day to save people.

There are 6 kids in our local high school who leave their classes to answer calls as volunteer firefighters.

The Duggars didn't do anything more than what should have been expected of them.

Well you can complain til the cows come home - but we have celebrities in this world and unless you don't watch TV, movies, sports, you aren't any better then anyone else.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
I'm picturing a day in the joyless and negative life of No Excuses:

NE's Kid: Mom, today we learned about the landing on the Moon.
NE: Big deal. The Russians beat us to to space.
NE's Kid: Our teacher got nominated as Teacher of the Year.
NE: There are thousands of great teachers. Your teacher is nothing special.
NE's Kid: I got an "A" on my math test.
NE: I'm sure lots of kids did. Stop gloating about being a normal kid.
NE's Kid: What's for dinner?
NE: Whatever I decide to cook. Now stop bothering me, I'm nitpicking and arguing with strangers on the internet.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:05 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Anyone know how the 6 year old is? Did she make it? (hope so).

Old 02-09-2010, 02:28 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post

It's sad that you are so desperately searching for attention, albeit even the most negative.

Question: when have you saved a life?

[mod cut]

Last edited by mrstewart; 02-09-2010 at 02:51 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 02:52 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Moderator comment- This topic is about the Duggar children saving a life not about anyone on this forum so there is no reason for personal attacks or going off topic.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Moderator comment- This topic is about the Duggar children saving a life not about anyone on this forum so there is no reason for personal attacks or going off topic.
EXACTLY, there is no excuse for attacking anyone in this thread - especially the Duggars just because they live a more old fashioned way of life.

Thank God this is still America and they can follow their beliefs the way they see fit

Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,369 times
I know the Duggar family personally and being helpful to others is just how/who they are. All the Duggar children are helpful, respectful and well mannered; we should all hope to encounter children with those characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting