Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 AM

687 posts, read 1,119,567 times

Advertisements

My son will be visiting on the east coast this summer and would like to drive up to Florida with a friend looking at colleges along the way. My son and the friend are 17 with the friend being a really responsible bright kid. My son is not the most responsible nor mature 17 year old so I am torn. If he makes Honor Roll this quarter and has a job to pay for the trip, he would like to be rewarded with this trip. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 11:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I would reward him if he meets his suggested requirements---especially since his frined is a responsible kid.

My son has always been more responsible and mature than his friends, and he managed to always keep them from getting into trouble.

You're going to have to let go next year anyway. You can't expect him to go off to college and suddenly learn how to manage being unsupervised.

This college trip sounds like a productive way to practice independence.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:24 AM

687 posts, read 1,119,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I would reward him if he meets his suggested requirements---especially since his frined is a responsible kid.

My son has always been more responsible and mature than his friends, and he managed to always keep them from getting into trouble.

You're going to have to let go next year anyway. You can't expect him to go off to college and suddenly learn how to manage being unsupervised.

This college trip sounds like a productive way to practice independence.
Thank you Hopes. Good advice and so true. The kid still sleeps with what use to be a stuffed doggie! I used to ask jokingly if he planned on going to college with this creature, but now that it's near I think he will take it!! Anyway, thanks.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:36 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
Thank you Hopes. Good advice and so true. The kid still sleeps with what use to be a stuffed doggie! I used to ask jokingly if he planned on going to college with this creature, but now that it's near I think he will take it!! Anyway, thanks.
Until he's 18 he is still legally your responsibility. Just saying

Old 04-25-2010, 01:14 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
With both being 17, there might be a problem with them getting motel rooms to sleep in. They'd better be prepared with a tent and supplies. Even a campsite might be a problem.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Is he responsible or not? Too many people confuse "smart" or "honor roll" with "responsible". Not necessarily the case. You indicated he wasn't "the most" responsible kid but then tied the trip to grades or honor roll? Why not tie it to "responsible" behavior? I don't think it's fair to put his more responsible friend in the position of being "the" responsible one... Also, I agree with NE - under 18 might very well have difficulty checking into a motel.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:37 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
My son will be visiting on the east coast this summer and would like to drive up to Florida with a friend looking at colleges along the way. My son and the friend are 17 with the friend being a really responsible bright kid. My son is not the most responsible nor mature 17 year old so I am torn. If he makes Honor Roll this quarter and has a job to pay for the trip, he would like to be rewarded with this trip. What do you all think?
Are you on the opposite coast and are you ok with him looking at colleges without you and on the other side of the country?

I have 2 teens very close in age and in the past 10 months we have travelled the east coast (we live on the east coast) looking at colleges.

I can't imagine not sharing this experience with them.

No, for me, I wouldn't allow one of my teens. You know your child...

Go with your gut feeling and stick with it.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I never saw the benefit of early college tours. I told my three to research the schools based on programs, size, rankings, etc, and then apply wherever they wanted. Once they had acceptance letters, then we would arrange to visit. It was much more cost effective, and nobody has regretted their choice.

But, to the OP, besides the problem of hotels (which might be settled if one of the kids has use of a credit card) 17 strikes me as awfully young to go off on a long road trip. I don't think I could be comfortable with it.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
You are responsible for him until he is 18 years old. If he goes on this trip and kills somebody (accidentally, of course), you could lose everything you own in a lawsuit.

He can go on all the trips his little heart desires for the next 80 years or so, what's the rush?

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-25-2010, 10:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Is he responsible or not? Too many people confuse "smart" or "honor roll" with "responsible". Not necessarily the case. You indicated he wasn't "the most" responsible kid but then tied the trip to grades or honor roll?
She didn't tie it to grades and honor roll. He is the one who proposed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
17 strikes me as awfully young to go off on a long road trip. I don't think I could be comfortable with it.
He'll be 18 in less than a year, possibly within a few months for all we know. Plus, if he decides to go to college there, he'll be making that road trip soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting