Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 10:38 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times

Advertisements

They learned at around 5 or 6 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 04:36 PM

797 posts, read 238,747 times
Kids learned around the same time I did, age 4-5.

Riding on the lawn and in the alley where falls were broken by a soften and more forgiving landing than pavement.

NO TRAINING WHEELS.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:47 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Son - practically an expert at 3.
Daughter - still waiting at 5, but mostly that's our fault for not working with her more.

The secret is never using training wheels. Go straight from BALANCE BIKE to regular.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:44 PM

73 posts, read 37,800 times
My nephew from another country didn't know how to ride a bike until he came here for a vacation one summer. He was 11 years old! We took his ipad and told him he can't have it til he learned how to ride a bike. Took him a day to learn. He was just not interested but without anything else to do he learned it quickly. My sons both learned around 6 years old. I don't think we helped them. They just did on their own.

Old 10-03-2019, 03:09 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
I agree with the balance bike idea. Our neighbors had one for their son who had some muscle delays and he got the hang of balancing in no time all on his own.

My oldest daughter was probably six when she started learning to ride a bike without training wheels. She was very anxious and it took hubby taking her to the park and having her fall into the grass a few times, or twelve, for her to get the hang of things. The key was not giving up on her, lots of encouragement, and practice, practice, practice! My second daughter learned to ride a bike without training wheels when she was four or five. She just had the willpower to do it all on her own, with little help from us. She's always been one to try things, take a spill and get back up again.

This summer my husband's nephew who is ten came to visit us for a week. I spent some days thinking of fun things he could do up here with my girls, his cousins. He arrived and one of the days I had told the kids to grab their bikes and go ride. They said we can't mom because cousin can't ride a bike. I was taken aback. Turns out his parents never taught him to ride a bike without training wheels, he didn't even own a bike at all now. The high school here has a unit they do on bicycling and they ride through the town to the mountain and hike up to the star in seventh grade. How embarrassing it would be if you're one of the kids who didn't know how to ride a bike at age 14 or 15.
This is a skill that I feel should be learned early in life.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:35 PM

124 posts, read 113,801 times
Our son was 8 1/2 but he has sensory processing disorder so not a 'typical' kid. I would wholeheartedly agree with the balance bike idea, or at least a scooter until they will take off on the bike on their own. Our pediatrician said a scooter is a great way to get them ready for the bike. This seemed to work well for our son but have seen several kids start on balance bikes and they seem to catch onto the regular bike way faster!

Old 10-17-2019, 11:13 AM

147 posts, read 150,888 times
Since the OP's daughter is something like 17 now, she's probably figured it out

Old 10-18-2019, 07:23 PM

20 posts, read 54,809 times
4-5

Old 10-19-2019, 03:15 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I don’t really remember how old my older kids were. But my youngest daughter was a pro at 4.5.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:47 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Son - practically an expert at 3.
Daughter - still waiting at 5, but mostly that's our fault for not working with her more.

The secret is never using training wheels. Go straight from BALANCE BIKE to regular.
My son was about 5 when he learned to ride without training wheels. I had made the mistake of getting him a larger bike because he was tall. He fell once with it while it still had training wheels, he didn't want to get back on it for a month.

My daughter who's 8 years younger then my son was a few months shy of her 3rd birthday when her training wheels came off. She wanted to be like the big kids. She had one of those smaller 1st bikes that they didn't make when my son was little.

My grandson just turned 6. He's as tall as a 9 year old. My daughter had taken his pedals off to make his bike into a balance bike. He was doing ok with it; then she went and got a bigger bike. He fell once with it, the training wheel bent a little, now he refuses to get back on. Hoping we can get him on the bike before winter comes.

He's also been learning how to ride a 2 wheeled razor scooter after riding a 3 wheeled one since he was 2. I don't know why I hadn't gotten him the 2 wheeled version when he was 4. His 2 1/2 year old sister is also trying to learn to ride the 2 wheeled scooter lol I have a feeling she's going to be like her mother, an early learner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting