Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times

Advertisements

and why does it take up so much time and energy?

I really liked this. It talks about stay at home parents but it's relevant to all parents.
Carolyn Hax - TELL ME ABOUT IT ® - washingtonpost.com

Quote:
When you have young kids, your typical day is: constant attention, from getting them out of bed, fed, clean, dressed; to keeping them out of harm's way; to answering their coos, cries, questions; to having two arms and carrying one kid, one set of car keys, and supplies for even the quickest trips, including the latest-to-be-declared-essential piece of molded plastic gear; to keeping them from unshelving books at the library; to enforcing rest times; to staying one step ahead of them lest they get too hungry, tired or bored, any one of which produces the kind of checkout-line screaming that gets the checkout line shaking its head.

It's needing 45 minutes to do what takes others 15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
In reality many sit on the computer and post in forums just like this one.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:05 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
I'm sure some do. Others may use forums for a quick break in between doing chores for the opportunity to converse with adults. It only takes a couple of minutes to post.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:50 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I'm sure some do. Others may use forums for a quick break in between doing chores for the opportunity to converse with adults. It only takes a couple of minutes to post.
I had very little time to post on forums when my kids were small. Now that they are older I can post and take care of my household responsibilities. Lately I have been out of town and have lots of down time.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:50 AM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
That's me. I teach during the academic year, and in the summer, I'm at home, supervising my kids (plus friends, nieces, nephews) in the pool. I get up early, work out, do chores, head outside with the kids, make lunch, go back outside. When the kids take a break from swimming, I'll weed the front flowerbeds. Right now, I'm working on the patio, writing a grant proposal. I've also been revising my course materials. It's fun to check in here from time to time. Reading what some of these people post is like watching a soap opera!

Last edited by lucygirl951; 07-22-2010 at 10:09 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
My older two are grown now, and the youngest is at camp today. The new puppy is napping, so I have some time to kill. My day began at 5:00 a.m. and by 7 a.m. I had already emptied and refilled the dishwasher, ran a load of laundry, showered, fed my son his breakfast, and played with the pup. I might even have had time to check in here. I don't have a laptop or blackberry, and I just hop on the computer from time to time each day when I get a moment. But I do stay very busy overall, not only do I do all the cleaning/laundry/most of the cooking, but I do the childcare, lawn maintenance, gardening, pet care, errands, shopping, etc. etc. I even do all the painting at our house. Come to think of it, I really need to get outside and finish re-staining the deck railing.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Well I post on forums all day...but I'm at work, lol. It may seem like I'm a bit of a slacker, but I'm an analyst and the work requires running large reports and a lot of number crunching. If I didn't take some time to post here and give my mind a break, I'd go crazy.

I only mentioned the above, because a lot of that is true for my wife too. My wife is a Facebook fan and uses it to keep in touch with our family and her friends (who pretty much all have little kids too). I bought her a netbook a couple years ago for Christmas and she usually takes a few minutes during naps and quiet time, or sitting out in the yard while the kids are playing to catch up on what's going on.

I will agree with the article though, having little kids and trying to get anything done requires a similar level of planning to the D-Day invasion. You get the routine down after a while, but it still requires constant vigilance and adjustment.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:36 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
My kids are long grown. I often have my 2 grandkids for the entire weekend. Whew, I dont know how I ever, went to school and worked and took care of 2 kids. Perhaps its age, but its all I can do to keep up with the gkids. I just wait until they go home before I even think about cleaning up the house.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,206,512 times
I work as an engineer, and when running certain tests, or building code, I can take some downtime and post here.

However, when I am home, I can't sit down at a PC, let alone post on forums. My four month old needs my attention, and frankly, I miss him and that's what I want to be doing. After he goes to sleep, I spend time with my husband, so same deal.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
I work as an engineer, and when running certain tests, or building code, I can take some downtime and post here.

However, when I am home, I can't sit down at a PC, let alone post on forums. My four month old needs my attention, and frankly, I miss him and that's what I want to be doing. After he goes to sleep, I spend time with my husband, so same deal.
Awww! Your post made me miss when my girls were babies. Enjoy him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting