Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:23 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,549 times

Advertisements

As I get ready in my bathroom, my 3 yr old usually hangs out with me with her toys and plays in the bathroom. Sometimes she climbs into the bathtub to play there. It's a good thing for both of us, however yesterday she was climbing into the bathtub and slipped backwards and landed about 2 feet down, back of her head first on the tile floor (her tushie/back didn't hit first).

She cried a lot and I tried to ice her head. I think she may have had a mild concussion as she was tired and wanted to sleep afterwards, but I wouldn't let her; and she said she was a little dizzy.

I decided to monitor her and the rest of the day- our trip the library and her friend's house, she seems fine. She slept well and got up as normal this morning. She seems fine overall, but as a worried mom, I'm wondering if anything can happen in the longer term? Like days after fall could something be wrong and I should take her to the doctor now for scans or anything? Or am I over-reacting (sometime which I know I do and my dh tells me too)?

Anyone have similiar experiences? This isn't the fall onto carpet and bang your forehood type of fall. It was back of the head first on hard tile from about 2 feet up. Maybe scarier for me seeing it, don't know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:00 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,677 times
Mine fell off a table when she was about 6 months or so; right on her head, in church. She screamed like there was no tomorrow for a long time. I talked to her pediatrician and he said to let her sleep but to disturb her every so often to know she was responsive. I did, and she slept for about 13 hours (Not unusual for her at that point.), woke up then went back to sleep for another few hours. Other than a huge lump, she was fine. She's now grown with children, reads voraciously and is a very seccessful person.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:13 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
As I get ready in my bathroom, my 3 yr old usually hangs out with me with her toys and plays in the bathroom. Sometimes she climbs into the bathtub to play there. It's a good thing for both of us, however yesterday she was climbing into the bathtub and slipped backwards and landed about 2 feet down, back of her head first on the tile floor (her tushie/back didn't hit first).

She cried a lot and I tried to ice her head. I think she may have had a mild concussion as she was tired and wanted to sleep afterwards, but I wouldn't let her; and she said she was a little dizzy.

I decided to monitor her and the rest of the day- our trip the library and her friend's house, she seems fine. She slept well and got up as normal this morning. She seems fine overall, but as a worried mom, I'm wondering if anything can happen in the longer term? Like days after fall could something be wrong and I should take her to the doctor now for scans or anything? Or am I over-reacting (sometime which I know I do and my dh tells me too)?

Anyone have similiar experiences? This isn't the fall onto carpet and bang your forehood type of fall. It was back of the head first on hard tile from about 2 feet up. Maybe scarier for me seeing it, don't know...
I would bring her to the pediatrician. Chances are she will be fine but why take that risk.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:09 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Things can show up 24-48 hours later. I am not a run to the dr' for every little think type of person but I think this is at least worth a call to see what the dr says.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
One thing I have always been told is that you want the child to cry; that is actually a good thing.

Last year my now 2yr old whacked his head pretty good...the nurse on call told me this things:

#1) immediately taking them to the ER/ped is not the answer as most issues that arise with swelling occur over several hours to a few days.
#2) monitor their EYES. (thought this was very interesting). If one pupil is more dilated than another, immediately go to the ER
#3) slurred speech, dizziness, complaints of bad headache, same as #2
#4) watch for mucus coming from the nose after they are done crying
#5) keep them awake for a few hours. If they get sleepy b/c it is bedtime or naptime & it has been over a few hours, let them sleep, but monitor their breathing.

That's a pretty scary thing to see. My 2yr old just fell off steps to the monkey bars (he was about 3ft up) the other day but fell on his rear first.

If she still seems ok, I wouldn't worry about a trip to the ER or docs, but I'd give a call to your ped to get their take on what they want you do to when these things happen & thus you can kind of keep it in your memory for the future.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the responses... it was scary to see... I will watch out for the signs you all mentioned plus call her pediatrician now for their warning signs.

Thanks again and hopefully my little sweat pea will feel fine.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:12 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,243 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses... it was scary to see... I will watch out for the signs you all mentioned plus call her pediatrician now for their warning signs.

Thanks again and hopefully my little sweat pea will feel fine.
I find it odd that you would take advice on a forum about your kids health. Chances are you child will be fine but if your that concerned to post it on a forum then I would take her to a doctor and have her checked out.

I would rather pay the money and be reassured by a qualified doctor than some people on a message board.

GO TO THE DOCTOR!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:44 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
I find it odd that you would take advice on a forum about your kids health. Chances are you child will be fine but if your that concerned to post it on a forum then I would take her to a doctor and have her checked out.

I would rather pay the money and be reassured by a qualified doctor than some people on a message board.

GO TO THE DOCTOR!
I agree with you!

The actress Natasha Richardson died from a head injury she had on the ski slope. She walked away from the accident, was coherent and talking but died later that day.

Head injuries should be taken seriously.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:49 AM

I was actually hestitating asking here, but figured this can't hurt too. And I over-react a lot, as my dh points out. I called her doctor and they told me a few things to look out for but said they didn't need to see her since it's been 24 hours later and she seems fine otherwise. I monitored her after the accident happened all day, plus woke her up at night the first night. I didn't see any need at that point to bring her to the doctor. Then, I was questioning about longer term issues here as well as contacted my doctor.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:24 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
I was actually hestitating asking here, but figured this can't hurt too. And I over-react a lot, as my dh points out. I called her doctor and they told me a few things to look out for but said they didn't need to see her since it's been 24 hours later and she seems fine otherwise. I monitored her after the accident happened all day, plus woke her up at night the first night. I didn't see any need at that point to bring her to the doctor. Then, I was questioning about longer term issues here as well as contacted my doctor.
Not a big Dr. Sears fan, but have read this a few times & find it close to exactly what my ped has said in the past...

AskDrSears.com - HEAD INJURIES (http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082300.asp - broken link)

As for asking PARENTS about toddlers bumping their heads, I'm assuming that is a normal thing to do as many times I ask my dh or parents when my children fall, are ill, & so on. More than likely, the ER would have been a huge waste of time & $$ and the ped office would have told you monitor your dd as you did. I highly doubt you'd be on the forum if your dd was vomiting, dizzy or passed out.

Epidural hematomas (what occurred to Natasha Richardson) are life threatening but if caught in time have a high chance of survival. There are some very obvious signs and hopefully your doctor was able to tell you about them. Unfortunately, in some cases b/c the swelling is many times not immediate due to the nature of this injury, there were no signs and even stories of children coming home from the ER or doctors and a few hours later not surviving.

Most important: your intuition. A mother's intuition is incredibly powerful. I keep our 24hr nurse on call # very handy for the second I falter on my gut, I call!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting